CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical failure

NewBird

Background - 2014 Americade. Bike was running fine and then electrical failed. Tripmeter reset to 0, time reset. inspected battery and found some corrosion. Got restarted and went to the Yuasa tent where they inspected and replaced the existing battery with a new Yuasa. No issues there after. Full disclosure here, I know very little about electrical systems.

Stored the bike for the winter and had battery on tender.

This year while parking on a side street at americade I suffered a nearly identical failure. The rider of the bike next to me had a device called Micro-Start wnd gave me a jump. I rode back to Lodge (20 miles) and had no trouble restarting thereafter.

Now - upon thinking of the events and what they had in common it came to mind that both failures occured after a period of very slow travel in traffic. Very low RPM and presumably not much in the way of battery charging going on. That coupled with a higher coolant temp which turned the fan on which presented additional demand on the battery.

So, the question is have any of you had a similar situation occur? If so how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, I am considering installing a set of Michelin Road Pilot 4's. Any feedback?

Headlights, fan, brake lights, any add on electric farkles will drain the battery at idle.

If fan is running a lot at idle, can rev up some to get water pump moving more to help. 1500rpm or so works for me. In slow traffic on hot days I will also pick a line not behind a car, try to get some air flow.

I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. Idling in traffic, lights on, fan on, even the extra draw from the brake light...it all adds up to draining the battery. Its just not a city bike. The need for speed....airflow for cooling, rpm to get the stator and water pump to a functional speed.

So maybe get your stator rewound with more wraps? That'll increase the output for ya. Switch out when you can, the lights for LED's will help too. If you are going to putt around the city a lot, change out your fluid to something that stays cooler longer (water wetter?) and see if that helps keep the fan at bay.