CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire pressure

Herc driver

Just curious to the tire pressures you all run. I've had them at 42psi per Honda specs and it seems to get a little loose on the corners. I lowered the pressure to 35 and it sticks better but I don't want to go through tires every thousand miles. Since most everyone in here has had their bird considerably longer than me, I'd like to get a consensus on pressure vs tread life.

Dig into some of the tire threads in The Garage, there's a lot of opinions & recommendations given.

It really depends on what tire you're running, and how you ride. Post what you have on the bike now, and I'm sure somebody can direct you with a pressure to start with.

I like my Avon's at 36F/38R, but will air up a bit for longer hauls to 37/39. And, yes, I can feel the difference in the tire.

5psi is a huge difference, so play 1-2psi at a time, until you get something that feels good to you.

Anything over 40psi rear, and it moves around too much, IMO.

I'm pretty anal about tire pressures too, so I check them regularly (before EVERY ride) time with a digital gauge.

Right now, I'm running the Dunlops that came with the bike and they're virtually new so I'll be riding on them for a bit. I agree that the back was loose when aired up to 42 and so I brought it down to 35. That made a difference and I was just concerned that 35 might cause excessive wear, but if you've been running 36/37 with no probs, then I'll stick to that.

35 is too low, unless you're doing a trackday.

You'll get great grip, but too much heat buildup, and accelerated wear.

Try the 36/38, then try 38/40. See which one you like best. If they feel the same, go with the 38/40.

Why is it that every tire manufacture rep I've talk to(Michelin/Dunlop/Avon) at the local track says to run 1-2 psi higher pressure in the front tire than the rear? Pre their suggestion;

I run 37 front and 35-36 rear. I currently have Pilot Sports. Most of my riding is rual roads/twisties. When I'm slabbing it on the freeway for longer trips I bump front and rear up 2-3 psi.

I got 7,500 miles out of my stock BT57's and on pace to get maybe 3-3.5K miles out of the Sports.

• 3 weeks later...

With Brigstone 010's I run 35 F / 32 R

With the increased gearing and running race fueled tuned properly I have the most take-off grip and have yet to find when the tires lose grip on the mountain when the are "up to temp" :cool: