CBR1100XX.org Forum

centerstands and exhausts...

flyv65

OK, people-I've been thinking a full system would be nice on the 'bird, and I'm leaning towards either Micron or Akrapovic. The question is, do I have to remove the centerstand for either one of these systems? I'd prefer not to.

Bryan...then again, maybe I'll just put on HIDs...

Much appreciated, D. I can't justify giving up the centerstand on a GT bike. Maybe if the bike lost 50 pounds (or I lost 100 [and gave up beer]). Unless otherwisev informed, i'll start looking at the Microns.

Bryan...then again, there are still HID lights...

You can always fabricate a stop for the center stand.

Seems there was a thread about that around here somewhere a little while ago.

If not, then you could keep the stand around, and just thread a couple of bolts in it when you need it.

I have the full akro and like it . Lost the center stand and installed spools

for the Pit Bull rear stand. The only time I use it is at home when cleaning or lubing anyway.

I did read a thread on the UK BIRD site about removal of the centerstand

advantages last year.

There was a highly aclaimed scientific study performed by the BIRD members and they concluded that there was a gain of somewhere between a 35 and 135 horsepower increase attained by the removal due to weight lose and decreased wind drag, depending on the tested RPM, Speed and current headwind :shock:

All I know is my Blackbird turned RED with envy, once mine was removed :twisted:

One of my riding buddy's has the Akro end can on his FZ1 and it sounds schweeeet-but doesn't do anything truly noticeable for power (I know, for that you need the full system). Yes, I could put the bobbins on, but they're useless on the road, and I do a fair bit of "touring" with the guys. Its just easier to pop the bike up on the centerstand every night to lube the chain before heading to the bar. is all.

Bryan...any of you guys dyno'ed your bikes after the install?...

Akra, yes the center stand will have to go unless you figure out another method of mounting a stop to prevent chain contact.

d

Akrapovic doesn't offer a "stop" for the centerstand. Two-Bros.does.

The Two-Bros. bracket uses the lower shock mount to anchor the bracket.

I like my Akra pipe and kept my centerstand.

2004342215234395679765.jpg

I'm not sure what they call it, but it's the only 4-2-1 full system for the bird. It does not have the cross overs as the photo on their web of their race system does. I have the oval carbon fibre can. Not a good fit at the corner of the fairing, but easy to fix with DEI exhaust wrap. They tell you this in the instructions. Really nice can!

2004355337846233768374.jpg

2004358139958753676498.jpg

I put a full Akrpoivic System on my 2000 and kept the center stand. I cut the foot tang off the center stand, shortened it, and welded it back on to the center stand so it didn't stick out so far once the left side stock exhaust was removed. I applied a PC7 "tapered bar" to the underside of the swingarm for the "tang" to ride against, and it's worked flawlessly for 39K miles. Will provide a picture if interested.

Did add a PC and K&N that seem to work fairly well, although mileage did drop somewhat.