CBR1100XX.org Forum

Still unsure about ZXXX conversion...Question???

TurboJoe

I want radial mounted brakes... I plan on doing the ZX 14 swingarm to get the extra 2in and 190 tire. Waiting on swingarm now.

So when it comes to the front end, can ZX14 forks be used with CBR 929 triples or a 929lower/954upper combo? Would this not eliminate the ignition mounting/bearing issue?

I plan to use ZX14 wheels BTW.

All help is greatly appreciated

All of your assumptions are correct. I have an early 954 lower with an RC51 SP1 top clamp. The 929 lower is the same as the early 954 lower, IIRC. It even allows for the use of the OEM XX 6-hole stem bolt, a nice touch I thought. Ignition bolts up fine, but steering stops will need fabrication and the steering lock doesn't quite line up - I still need to Dremel out the holes in the frame so it will line up. It's not a lot of material to remove.

The ZX swing arm isn't necessary, but would certainly simplify the operation - especially shims and brake choice. I have ZX12R wheels on the XX swing arm and a 12R caliper. It doesn't require anything custom (unless cutting an axle spacer with a Dremel is over your head) but does take some eBay shopping, and extra ZX OEM spacer, and careful measuring.

All of your assumptions are correct. I have an early 954 lower with an RC51 SP1 top clamp. The 929 lower is the same as the early 954 lower, IIRC. It even allows for the use of the OEM XX 6-hole stem bolt, a nice touch I thought. Ignition bolts up fine, but steering stops will need fabrication and the steering lock doesn't quite line up - I still need to Dremel out the holes in the frame so it will line up. It's not a lot of material to remove.

The ZX swing arm isn't necessary, but would certainly simplify the operation - especially shims and brake choice. I have ZX12R wheels on the XX swing arm and a 12R caliper. It doesn't require anything custom (unless cutting an axle spacer with a Dremel is over your head) but does take some eBay shopping, and extra ZX OEM spacer, and careful measuring.

Thanks iFanboi...

the issue I have is finding SP1 parts. they are like looking for a needle in a haystack. Did you try the 929 upper?

I'm doing the ZX swingarm to save on powder coating the XX arm black as well :-)

Right, I just happened across that puppy on eBay by chance. IIRC, the 929 uppers have a "gull wing" that may or may not be of value - the early 954 are the same dimensions with the exception of the drop where the clamp is. There is something about the later 954 triples that make them unsuitable - they may have a larger stem size or something, can't remember.

Hey I notice that you are from Tennessee. I am from Knoxville but relocated to Georgia due to my job. I miss the Dragon. Maybe I'll post some of my past project bikes. Last was a turbo Busa that Killboy still uses in his videos and ads.... I know local fame right!

You help is greatly appreciated. I think I will go with 929 trees then... Is there a difference in the 2012-13 zx14 forks? They are black and would definitely go with my scheme.

Only did one test and tune at the local 1/8th mile strip...it was a mid 5's bike. 220hp on the dyno. I miss that bike....traded for and R1 and a lot of boot :-) Then I bought a Harley Night Train and tricked it out. Then took profits from that and bought an Ultra Classic (Notice the old man factor setting in). Then came my daughter...Then bikeless for 5 years until my last September when my wife got tired of my lip dragging and bought the Blackbird for my birthday. She won't admit it but she missed riding as much as I did. How do I know??? she said "I hope you don't solo seat it like you did the Night Train and the Busa" LOL

Before -Sunglow Red

After -Black with Red/Silver flames

post-415395-0-05665500-1389144410_thumb.

post-415395-0-19551700-1389144433_thumb.

Gen 1 busa front ends have been used on the XX also to convert over. looked into that myself

know you got some busa experiance, also some on hayabusa.org have converted their gen 1 with gen 2 front ends. might be able to pickup a set cheap.

I thought about a Busa front but became intrigued around matching the front and rear wheels using ZX14 wheels.

Maybe someone can tell me why I have not heard of anyone using ZX14 forks with 04-05 1000RR triple set since the have the same bearings upper and lower.?????????

• 2 weeks later...

No rr stuff is not going to work. Narrow. Least the new stuff is.Big stem too.

I have stuff to do this with, wheels and arm and shock and links modded etc. Been converting mine,,,a lot...Let me know, but been real busy.

Sounds like a good start. If you camp out for long enough, you might catch a SP1 upper on eBay. That said, the billet uppers aren't too far out of the realm of reality (though some are a little fugly). I wish I had gone to tapered bearings for the stem when I did it from the start, I still have to find some...

Stock 14 front brake lines are a tad short and routing is not optimal, I still need to replace with some longer braided SS lines.

Have to be creative on the horn mount.

I don't have steering stops on mine yet. That may never happen. Bars don't hit the tank, so...

Throttle cable routing was finicky on mine, YMMV.

Deciding on the front fender was a big one - I didn't like the 14 fender much, and wound up with a CF knockoff of a ZX-12 fender from China (and it's a thing of beauty).

I don't know what the rear master will need to be, maybe Stan can jump in on whether the XX master will pump it.

Longer chain in your case, obviously.

Measure ride height on the front before you start disassembly. That will give you a baseline to start adjusting from.

Can't wait to hear how the SP1 lower works!

I went with the billet upper. Love it. The thing I ran into, well the lower did is the ram air tubes. I went with some button head allens I think. Cut the stops off the lower too and drilled and tapped for some allens and spacers verticle out of the lower to hit the frame.

Yes, I cut and welded the stock links cause I could not afford the best way to do it. There are some adjustable links for the 14, and could be cut down and used to give your self a little room to set the tire off the ground on the rear. I had to build a few. Also, you need a upper mount built that will allow the 14 shock to turn 90 and clear the overflow bottle. I built one from a stock top shock mount and a shaft out of a link like the BB one from the frame to the triangles.

The 14 wheels I have are red. 41 sprocket to get your spedo right. Pretty new rear pr3.

I went with the billet upper. Love it. The thing I ran into, well the lower did is the ram air tubes. I went with some button head allens I think. Cut the stops off the lower too and drilled and tapped for some allens and spacers verticle out of the lower to hit the frame.

Yes, I cut and welded the stock links cause I could not afford the best way to do it. There are some adjustable links for the 14, and could be cut down and used to give your self a little room to set the tire off the ground on the rear. I had to build a few. Also, you need a upper mount built that will allow the 14 shock to turn 90 and clear the overflow bottle. I built one from a stock top shock mount and a shaft out of a link like the BB one from the frame to the triangles.

The 14 wheels I have are red. 41 sprocket to get your spedo right. Pretty new rear pr3.

Stan...about the links. I am wondering if billet links as those pictured here (2-4indrop) will work or do I need the threaded adjuster style (1-3in drop) cutting the coupler?

I will be in touch on other needed parts :-). Thanks for informing me of your inventory. I am sure it may as helpful as your advise.

Missing the pictures. But, the links are bout an inch and a half shorter than the stock links. Figured would have to cut the coupler and maybe the threads of the ends too. I can give you a distance for mine with the top adapter.

Oh yeah, carb throttle cables work for the additional length.

Stan:

Sorry I forgot the pictures but from you last post...I get it. It's the threaded ones that you were speaking of. As soon as I get the staple parts, I will be in touch with you for all the intricate parts of the build.

BTW PM me a price for the wheels...thanks

Any nicks in the wheel can be touched up with the paint from the 01 bb. Perfect wheels other than that.

I have some 929 954 bars with trick ends and grips. They are what you want.

Fender is not show as it has some wear but nothing that shows. It is high dollar.

You do know the silver is the base coat for the red bikes.

More later. Really we need to call. Too much typing makes me crazzzy.

I use 600rr now and there great but

if u want some thing easy to install and really good

sp2 front with sp1 triple its a bolt on and for brakes gsxr 6 piston will bolt right in with 07r1 master you will have the best brakes