CBR1100XX.org Forum

No Longer Wanted to Buy --- Compact Tractor

My brother has purchased some land and is in need of a compact tractor.

He's looking for something in decent shape that doesn't need repairs.

Hydro trans

Loader

Brush hog or other implements including backhoe would be considered.

AND........

I'm looking for a small tractor, preferably with a loader, but I can fix stuff.

Can travel reasonably to pick up, but really can't do midsouth or anything much west of the Mississippi unless its damned near free.

I'm asking here not because I can't search Craigslist myself, but because there may be other opportunities that you folks may know of and can recommend. Our network is pretty big.

To tell you the truth, my brother is an intelligent man.....he got the brains, I got the looks.

He's quite aware of what he's looking for. Perhaps I should define further, as I left out parameters. Diesel, somewhere around 20-30hp, but not more. He's using it for chores, maintainence, and projects on his new hideout.

Define what he's using it for. A regular-sized tractor might be better, and if it's an old one in good shape, it may be a better investment in the long run.

And that's why I'm looking for an old one......cuz I can affordz it maybe.

I have a 45 hp new holland tractor and i have to say that it is absolutely the minimum size that begins to be useful for even small projects. 4 wheel drive is a must. it still only moves half of the that my skidsteer does. if it wasnt for the PTO ability of the tractor for brush hog and small rotatiller abilitiy then i would get rid of it. just sayin, buy enough tractor or you will regret it.

Did you retire your current tractor? Or did the flood waters finally kill it?

I will keep an eye out around here. There is always shit for sale like that around here.

As for myself, I like a little tractor to move things around with, take out the garbage, hold up bikes while I'm changing tires...that sort of thing.

The tough little Satoh developed a bit of a steering difficulty that more than likely had to do with terminal rust in the mechanism. Never could get the carb right, the transmission was getting sketchy, and it was going to need a throwout bearing soon. It was a good little tractor that I didn't have the time to completely rebuild after its submarine duty, and it was steadily failing. Supposedly the new owner will rebuild the steering and have himself a dandy little farm toy for taking out the manure.

And now I need a little better tractor. And one for the brother as well.

I have a 45 hp new holland tractor and i have to say that it is absolutely the minimum size that begins to be useful for even small projects. 4 wheel drive is a must. it still only moves half of the that my skidsteer does. if it wasnt for the PTO ability of the tractor for brush hog and small rotatiller abilitiy then i would get rid of it. just sayin, buy enough tractor or you will regret it.

I bought a new MF 2400 GC diesel SUBcompact tractor a couple years ago, and will take some issue. It really depends on your expected use. If he has a garden of an acre or less, no real fields to plow, no use for large implements, then a 20-26 HP is great! I have about an acre in orchard where a full size tractor would be worthless. It will tow cars from one part of the yard to the other, I am currently using the FEL to demolish a barn, it is just the right size to bury dogs. I got a 52" underbelly deck and a 4' bushog, an auger to dig post holes with, a 35 gallon three point sprayer, a fertilzer, two different chain harrows, a scraper blade, a box scraper and it has been one of the best purchases I ever made. When I bought it I really was looking down my nose at it and was about to buy a bigger, compact JD. I am so glad I didn't.

So it boils down to "at home or at work, use the RIGHT tool for the job"

• 7 months later...