CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 XX regulator

XXBirdSlapper

Ok, so everyone digs an upgrade. But how many have feedback on simply replacing the stock regulator and can report the life of this part? I know the design is dated, but who can report real longevity experience of the first gen part? Searches don't give real good data....

I replaced my stock R/R and Stator at 28,000 miles and now have 61,000 miles with the OEM replacements

Wrong year John, isn't it?

The 97-98 were the first design.

Most people replace it with a Mosfet unit from Jack at Roadstercycle.

I replaced my factory stator with a factory replacement at 42, 000 IIRC the RR was alreafy replaced with the retrofit R1 deal when I bought the bike with 24, 000 on it. I am now getting ready to roll 68, 000 with no issues.

My '97 went tits up @ ~ 24k, killed the battery through overcharging. Roadstercycle replacement still working @ 34k

Whats this regulator and stator thing you speak of? I replaced the oil and filter and tires every so often.

tool pouch strap still like fucking new. Used the tools twice in the last 13 yrs to work on an R1 back in 04' and this past April of 13'

an updated regulator is a good idea, as the old ones get super hot, and the newer mofsets stay cooler and have cool fins to assist with cooling. Gotta replace the stator on another bike right now..

Whats this regulator and stator thing you speak of? I replaced the oil and filter and tires every so often. tool pouch strap still like fucking new. Used the tools twice in the last 13 yrs to work on an R1 back in 04' and this past April of 13' an updated regulator is a good idea, as the old ones get super hot, and the newer mofsets stay cooler and have cool fins to assist with cooling. Gotta replace the stator on another bike right now..

Whats this regulator and stator thing you speak of? I replaced the oil and filter and tires every so often. tool pouch strap still like fucking new. Used the tools twice in the last 13 yrs to work on an R1 back in 04' and this past April of 13' an updated regulator is a good idea, as the old ones get super hot, and the newer mofsets stay cooler and have cool fins to assist with cooling. Gotta replace the stator on another bike right now..

That's why I posted to ask what kind of life people are getting as I see people reporting that their up grades die with relatively low mileage. I am going to crack the 20k mark in the near future and a plug and play stock replacement seems like good insurance on a 16 year old machine.

That's why I posted to ask what kind of life people are getting as I see people reporting that their up grades die with relatively low mileage. I am going to crack the 20k mark in the near future and a plug and play stock replacement seems like good insurance on a 16 year old machine.

That is what I did. Put on a new R-1 using the hook up plug that someone was selling here. So I still have the factory one as a back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy schnikies! OEM rr is about $280 at Ron Ayers! Newer gen is roughly 180. I guess I need to look into Ricks pricing, it wasn't on the website.

When you do, ask Rick about the test he did on a Mosfet unit. Then see if he offers one...yet.

Don't get me wrong, Rick is a great guy and runs a good business but he tested a Mosfet for one of the guys here and it produced 50 more watts than the stock unit and is much more durable. Jack's kit supplies new connectors than when compared to the OEM connectors, are far, far superior.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking through all the related reports I still see NJ overwhelming evidence of an after market product being better in terms of longevity.