CBR1100XX.org Forum

Carb Rebuild - What Parts?

IcePrick

It's time to tear the carbs apart, the miss on the low end won't go away.

A question for anyone who has done theirs: what do you recommend as a minimum of replacement parts for a carb rebuild? I'd like to have everything on hand (as much as is predictable) before I take them apart so I don't wind up with a disassembled project in my garage for three weeks while a backordered spring or gasket comes from Japan.

Also - any other maintenance-of-opportunity that could be done while the carbs are off? Has anyone had a valve out of spec at 30k?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

I seriously doubt carbs need rebuilt after 30 k miles . Anyhow , you don`t need any replacement parts to take them apart , clean and reassemble .

I seriously doubt carbs need rebuilt after 30 k miles . Anyhow , you don`t need any replacement parts to take them apart , clean and reassemble .

Cool. Someone mentioned that the float needles can be damaged by ethanol, and while I try to avoid it, there are some places where you don't have a selection at 3AM on that ugly Interstate.

I'll tear into them tomorrow night. I'm guessing a cleaning is all they really need, hope we're both right.

Rubber could be replaced (minus the slide rubber, of course) and just getting all the gunk out.

Needle damage is highly unlikely ... I'm not familiar with ethanol being able to destroy needles or seats. Doesn't mean it isn't true, but I would think that I would have heard of it were it the case.

Check for a vacuum leak. I had a vacuum hose on the right side of the carbs dry rot and fall off while in WV in 08. Repaired hose and it has been fine since. Fyi it was causing the symptoms you are speaking of.

Before you tare everything apart try putting a full can of Seafoam in the tank and run that through and see if it helps. I do that from time to time to help keep things clean in there. It really seems to help.

I already did the Seafoam thing - first go-to for any suspected carb anomaly. :icon_biggrin:

I've looked it over for hoses damaged/off, and I DO suspect a lean condition. I'll examine it again tonight and see if I can't see an issue. Can you still buy ether? Great diagnostic tool.

Thanks for the tip.

forgot about swapping bikes to feel the new bits outs. Don't know what else distracted us from doing that and riding. :icon_whistle:

Yeah, we could have swapped, rode over 16 and back, and still had time to supervise removing the last Grande Mocha from the Yammie. :icon_twisted:

Nothing jumped out at me - all the float needles looked good, jets were clean, nothing seemed to be stuck... but I shot a bunch of carb cleaner through all the passages and blew everything out with compressed air. There may have been a vacuum leak somewhere that I got locked down, maybe something in one of the air passages.

Runs great now, no complaints!

Runs great now, no complaints!

Good but it always bugs me when I fix something without knowing what I did to fix it.

Since carburetors are witchcraft, I don't question what interrupted the juju. The chi is flowing now, I'll go back to regularly sacrificing squirrels to appease the air/fuel ratio gods.

• 2 weeks later...
When I had that problem, it was because of crap in the low speed jets.

It's always the Slow jets.... well 90% of the time anyway, then there's the 9% of the time it's a vacuum leak, and the 1% of the time it's actually out of adjustment.