CBR1100XX.org Forum

What Voltage is normal ?

EVLXX

? If you are running a Radar detector or voltage display, that shows you your running voltage, how many Volts are you seeing... Normally ?

I recently had to replace my battery, which was new 2 years ago. My theory at this point is, that my Regulator might be starting to go bad and Over charging / cooking my battery.

Currentl, at idle, on a fully charged battery, the volt meter displays 14.7 - 14.8 Volts, constant. Once on the road, at city speeds it will read 14.9 - 15.1. At 4 - 6K rpm, it's showing anywhere from 15.1 - 15.4 volts.

I've spent the last couple nights trying to read all of the old threads about voltage regulators and stators, etc., and have not really found a good answer to what the signs are just before the voltage regulator goes bad. I read a few threads talking about grounding issues, etc, but I'm not reading how those instances caused over charging Voltage readings.

My brain (shady memory you know) wants to tell me... that I used to see 14.0 to 14.6 Volts all the time.

So, again, what voltage readings are you seeing on your bikes ?

and-

Any additional thoughts ?

R/R is going and yes you are pregnant!!!! :icon_evilgrin:

Should have swallowed.... :icon_nana:

My R/R tested within the norm (but seemed high by .1 or .2 volts at times). Eventually, I replaced it to be safe...only to have the stator go out afterwards...making me replace both.

Cool.. thanks all, it sounds like what I was already fearing...

well maybe if I replace the R/R now it'll save me some money from having to buy more parts in the immediate filter.

Thanks guys.

Yes, I saw your thread, very nice, great info there, thanks.

Upgrade... I like the sound of that.

So... do you have a Voltage meter or radar detector, if so, what voltage are you seeing, with that new Reg. on there?

I would check those readings with different voltmeter .

I`m using monster sized regulator from 04-08 R1 . I don`t recall readings at idle , but in 3000-5000 rpm it hovers in 13.8 - 14.0 V range.

I always check voltage and condition of connectors before vacation trips .

The cooling fins on this particular unit have to be shaved in order to fit in stock location .

Only 20 bucks from egay because everyone wants smaller part from first and second gen. R1.lol.

I`m using monster sized regulator from 04-08 R1 .

The cooling fins on this particular unit have to be shaved in order to fit in stock location .

Only 20 bucks from egay because everyone wants smaller part from first and second gen. R1.lol.

Thought you might have a great idea,

Looked on ebay,

Looks like the.... 2004 - 2006 R1 regulators are cheaper and have really tall fins.

But... the link Mitch posted, comes with the connectors, and are new....

So, I'm leaning that way. But.. still open to ideas and looking around.

Honestly, I'm too busy to go riding, and with possible rain all week, I won't be riding to work either. So... I'm not in a rush yet.

Haha, there's a thread in the SuperHawk Forum about used vs. new R/Rs. Me, I guess I'm lucky to be able to afford something new, whether an OEM Yamaha replacement or a Shindigen from a reliable retailer. I'm of the mind that used electrical comes with risks, and replacing a component with one of unknown pedigree might cause more harm than good in terms of additional troubleshooting, misdiagnosis, and additional financial outlay once the problem is discovered. Some derided me as being stupid for spending 3 times what a used R/R costs off eBay.

For my money, go with new - either the Yamaha part or the Shindigen. The time lost in obtaining another one if you get a smoked one from a jackass eBay seller alone should be enough to make the case for buying new.

Of course, YMMV.

Yamaha regulators are bulletproof .

Eric , I`ll check the connector situation , I simply don`t remember right now . Those three wires from stator plugged right in after I pulled them out from connector .

Me, I guess I'm lucky to be able to afford something new,

OH, B. S., we all know you Government guys have it made.... :icon_stickpoke::icon_rolleyes:

:icon_whistle:

Jk.

As for the speeding more moneys on the new... I know exactly what you are saying.. and I feel the same way.

Yamaha regulators are bulletproof .

Eric , I`ll check the connector situation , I simply don`t remember right now . Those three wires from stator plugged right in after I pulled them out from connector .

Cool.

Maybe a picture of yours on the Bike if you get a chance..... Please.

I'm still on the fence, and and will to go cheaper, if it doesn't turn into a installation nightmare.

I have the R1 R/R and I run a Daytel voltage meter wired right to my aux fuse block that comes right off the battery. I tried tapping into the marker lights and found about a 1.5v drop in the actual power at the battery. So for an accurate reading check or hook your meter right off the battery.

My voltage at idle is right around 13v and as soon as off idle it is 14.2 and doesn't budge till at idle again.

OK decision made...

Found the connector kit for $17.95 + shipping on http://roadstercycle.com/index.htm

total $20.95

Then I went to Ebay add found a recently listed Used 04 05 06 Yamaha R1 Reg/Rec for a buy it now price of $15 + $12 shipping. Yes it's got some Monster Tall cooling fins, and I'll probably have to cut the down to fit under the Rear Cowling, as Tomek stated, but... I think I really like the idea of the extra cooling. (I'm a Overkill kinda guy)

So... it looks like I'll have $47.95 in to it when it's all said and done.

I can't wait for it all to show up... I am sooooo ready to finally go riding.

Thank you for the input, I appreciated it.

Will it power your built in vibrating dildo? :icon_whistle:

:icon_biggrin: happy riding....