CBR1100XX.org Forum

Busted Bolt Boss on the Mower

rockmeupto125

This is probably why my mower cuts out a lot. One bolt holding the coil in place. Looks as though a previous owner had attempted a fix and it didn't work. One light tap with a hammer separated the epoxied half of the threads.

So........magic weld in a tube? Drill and tap another quarter inch and hope it holds...or doesn't break into the case? Or bag it and do the new mower thing. I hate to throw away a not-so-perfect Honda of any sort....

post-4340-1366248167.jpg

Can't really tell from the pics - any mounting alternatives? Remote? Squeeze a whole tube of Goop on the coil, stick it on there?

If you're already looking at possibly replacing it, what can it hurt to drill further? Epoxy the bottom of the threads to seal the crankcase!

Looks like I would JB weld and once it has set up for a day, drill a little deeper, tap it and put a little longer screw into it. Like Mike said, hard to tell from the photo. Replace whatever washer is on the current patent screw with one of those grabby type washers.

I was hoping for a recommendation for something much stronger than JB, which has never worked well for me.

Because the coil has to positioned a set distance away from the flywheel, this has to be fastened pretty tight. And the broken mount is the adjustment side, where the coil has an elongated hole for that purpose. That means the coil is held in position not by the physical boundary of the bolt, but by the friction of the tightened bolt, placing more stress on the system. Probably why the under-engineered mount failed in the first place.

<sigh> I'll study it some more this morning.

Do you know anyone locally that can weld aluminum? Have it welded and it will be good as new.

Sure, there's a guy close by that does any frame work I need done. By the time I cart it up there, wait around, and pay him $30 to put a blob of aluminum on there, drill it, tap it, and see if it the weld did any damage, I could have just had you come up here and take care of it. :icon_biggrin:

I'm going on a search for some high end epoxy.

If it was me, i'd have a guy weld it.

But the other option is to drill deeper. Retap. Clean up the surrounding areas with brake cleaner. Let it try off. Epoxy the part the brok off, bolt and radiator clamp the whole POS together.

It looks like you only have a quarter inch of additional metal before you've drilled through to the other side.

I like the hose clamp idea. Clamp the broken piece back onto the post, then put a threaded rod in, cement it in place and pray it holds as you gingerly thread the nut from the top.

Let me know what model engine it is and I'll see if I have a good block for you.

I like the hose clamp idea. Clamp the broken piece back onto the post, then put a threaded rod in, cement it in place and pray it holds as you gingerly thread the nut from the top.

Let me know what model engine it is and I'll see if I have a good block for you.

That's the ticket. Maximized surface area will yield the strongest repair. Brilliant!

Something like what Walt said. I took a bolt, cut the head off, and tapped it into the hole I drilled out from the previous mess. I made a dam out of parchment paper and zipties, Then filled it with Devcon Plastic Steel. Mowed the lawn yesterday. Thanks for the offer, Walt, but I might get through another year without buying a mower. WooHoo!