CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Filters

blackhawkxx

In Motorcyclist magazine, someone wrote in and asked if they could use a oil filter for for a Kawasaki on a Yamaha. Same size and it fit thread wise. Here is their answer.

Each individual oil filter is designed for a specific engine's oil pressure, filtering requirements, and flow rate. Some filters have bypass valves that direct oil back to the engine in case the filter gets clogged, while some engines have internal bypass valves and use filters that don't have them. A valve with the wrong opening pressure might route dirty oil away from the filter and back into the engine. Filters are cheap; engines aren't. Get the right filter for your bike. It's not worth the risk.

I have used car filters on my bikes because it is easy to find them. But, do you really know if the filter is bypassing or not? What are your thoughts?

Let's look at this from a logic based perspective.When does an oil filter ever get so clogged the bypass valve has to open?

I have no issue using a Yamaha or Kawasaki filter on my bike.Each oil filter IS NOT designed for a specific engines oil pressure as that same filter used on your XX is also used on a 1987 XL600 Transalp,1500 &1800 Goldwings,VTX1300's,1987 CBR600's,94 VF750 Magna and a shit load of others.Same with all the Japanese makers.

K&N and HI-Flo for example list the same filter for a ZX14 and an R1 and all CBR's.

We can disagree on which is better but they have put themselves at risk if they get it wrong.

I've been using Honda filters for years because I worked at a Honda dealer,my supply has run out,my choice is Hi-Flo or Kawi,gonna try the Hi-Flo.Sold plenty of them over the years.

So FYI for everyone,Honda,Kawi,Yamaha and Triumph all share the same filter on many of their bikes.Suzuki is the oddball.

I'd say Motorcyclist is just covering their ass.