CBR1100XX.org Forum

cold garage? beware

ptxyz

i share this from another forum for kawi's klr.

not sure if the link will work (or is cool with the admins...) but, i'll try;

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110552

seems they don't like freezing temps despite no explicit warning from the manufacturer. disappointingly, bridgestone has not done right by the owner of these cracked tires.

post-59666-1363981185.jpg

post-59666-1363981180.jpg

How old are those tires. They look quite dry. My Bird and trackbike sit in an unheated shop all winter long and have never had any issues like that and I have had all my bikes in un conditioned garages for 25 years now.

That may be the worst I've ever seen.

Would like to know the date on the tire.Tires do age faster on cold concrete,you should always put something between them if you can.I've notice some brands age faster than others on the tir rack in the store,namely Dunlop and Michelin will be noticeably harder if they reach their first birthday without selling.Whereas Metzelers seem to last for years,Bridgestone was somewhere in the middle...usually.

And sometimes it can be a bad batch that should have been recalled.Years ago Michelin recalled Pilot Powers (I think,hey it was years ago) but just the ones made in France IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

This is from the Bridgestone site.

"

Infomation for Safety Use of MC tires

WARNING

SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH MAY RESULT FROM: AN EXPLOSION OF THE TIRE/RIM ASSEMBLY DUE TO IMPROPER MOUNTING PROCEDURES.

Only specially trained persons should mount tires.

Always match tire and rim diameters.

During inflation always have assembly restrained,stand clear, and use remote controlled clip-on air hose.

To seat tire bead,never exceed the following pressure:

ATV Tires : Do not exceed maximum pressure shown on tire sidewall.

Motorcycle Tires : Do not exceed 57 P.S.I.

After seating tire beads,adjust inflation to operating pressure recommended by vehicle manufacturer.

Never put a flammable substance into a tire/rim assembly.

LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL DUE TO FAILURE TO “BREAK-IN” TIRES.

Use extreme caution when riding on new tires.

Avoid sudden acceleration,maximum braking,and hard cornering for first 100 miles.

Care and Use at Low Temperatures:

High performance motorcycle tires may crack in the tread area from impact or deformation at low ambient temperatures. Handle and store the tires with care. Always ride carefully until the tires are warmed up, particularly in low ambient temperature conditions."

Sounds to me that I won't be buying tires from them again. Even though I live in Cali I've seen it as low a 6 degrees f here and have rode in as low as 14f in the morning for weeks at a time.