CBR1100XX.org Forum

Diesel

ActionStarCBRxx

I know that there are two camps here... the camp that cleans the bike meticulously and the other camp that believes grime and dirt build character! :icon_silenced:

A buddy of mine that rides dirt bikes was always a believer in using diesel to clean bikes (chains sprockets grim dirt etc) I have never used diesel until tonight. Normally I use Honda polish or Plexus to clean the bike. Rarely do I ever use water (unless it rains). I fall in the meticulous camp... either my bike is really clean or super busy because I am behind on maintenance and haven't had time to fix/clean.

This week I burnt the main fuse which basically put the bike down. So now I start my grocery list of maintenance on the bike that I have neglected for the past 6 months. Tires/oil/CCT/dash lights etc. I really hate working on a dirty bike so I usually clean everything as I go along. This time since I have been riding the bike more in the adverse weather (cold/snow/rain/hot sun) the bike is really dirty.

Since the tires on my list, then I usually break the chain and soak it in 80/90 oil. This time the chain was just nasty. The front sprocket had a perfect mixture for lapping values (dirt and grease in a fine thick powder!)... so I broke out the diesel and soaked the chain in it. The dirt and grime literally falls off. I decide to put some diesel on a rag and wipe down the under tail. The nastyness that your tire flips up into the under tail... the diesel just wiped the dirt off!! Then I used the rag and cleaned out around the front sprocket and all that dirt wiped off!! I mean it just wipes off and falls in a clump on the floor! WOW. After I wiped everything off I went back with Honda Polish and wiped the diesel off everything! WOW like showroom clean!

Is there any ill side effects of using diesel on the bike and following up with a cleaning polish like Honda Polish or Plexus? Any reason why you couldn't put that stuff in a spray bottle and use it in the engine compartment of a car or truck to get all the road grime off? It looks like its safe on rubber since fuel lines on my diesel truck are rubber?

Any thoughts?

I don't know about soaking stuff, but I used Kerosine for cleaning the grime off the rear wheel and chain (I use a Pro-Oiler). Eventually moved to diesel because its pretty much the same thing as far as cleaning goes.

Never thought to try it on plastics, but I guess it's an idea if you have oil-based grime on them. I'd spot clean with it, though.

Using a fuel that contains quite a bit of oil to clean an engine compartment seems like a bad idea. I mean to really saturate it.

It is really hard to tell what oils act like solvents and eat plastic and what solvents clean and do not damage. Clearcoat is pretty fragile stuff. I wouldn't chance it.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the rims though.

I just used wd-40. It is a great degreaser especially on the swingarm.

WD-40 has always been my go to for almost everything on the bike. There is a lot of talk about WD-40 washing out the oil in the X/O rings since its a penetrating fluid. So I thought I would give diesel a try. On the chain and sprocket area the diesel really made wiping the nasty build up super easy. I was really surprised that it worked so well on the under tail!

I plan on soaking the chain for a few days in the heavy 80/90 gear oil.

I've always heard that about WD40 harming the grease inside. But in order to do that, it would have to damage the x/o seals first. Nothing is getting by those things till they are shot and worn out.

I always use WD40 and my DID chains last 30,000+. Still have the original chain on my F4i with 29k on the clock. No sign of needed replacement in sight.