CBR1100XX.org Forum

BlackBird runs cool

Ack535

OK, so I am new to the Blackbird. Overall, I love the bike, but one thing is bothering me.

Although it has been cool around here (and getting cooler), as hard as I try, the temp guage needle on my BB only goes up at most 1/4 of the way. Is this normal?

Pete

Going down the highway this time of year, the needle on my 99 is lucky to be an 1/8" into the "normal range". If the outside temp is below 80 degrees, my fan will never run, even in the heaviest (no major accidents) traffic Wichita has to offer. Unless I intentionally let it idle for several minutes after fully warm.

I think this is one reason why the mileage sucks.

Going down the highway this time of year, the needle on my 99 is lucky to be an 1/8" into the "normal range". If the outside temp is below 80 degrees, my fan will never run, even in the heaviest (no major accidents) traffic Wichita has to offer. Unless I intentionally let it idle for several minutes after fully warm.

Yes, that is the same with my Blackbird. Temp guage on the freeway runs about 1/8 up from cold. And yes, my milage is around 35 to 38 mpg. Not very good...

Yes, that is the same with my Blackbird. Temp guage on the freeway runs about 1/8 up from cold. And yes, my milage is around 35 to 38 mpg. Not very good...

I would love to get 35 to 38 MPG. Mine is more like 30 to 35. Only way I get over 37 is in the mountains of CO. Wish I had put on a Power Commander a long time ago. Hardly seems worth the money now since I don't ride more than 1500 miles per year. Commuting is more fun on the SV.

My '98 carbed XX is about the same on the guage.....normal. I never ride it too slow (it is a Blackbird after all) and average about 36mpg.

The way I see it:

$3K bike + much faster and funner than 90% of anything on the road at any price + 36mpg on regular= :icon_love:

have they changed over to winter fuels yet in you're area?

Yeah, they switch over by mid October.

My '98 carbed XX is about the same on the guage.....normal. I never ride it too slow (it is a Blackbird after all) and average about 36mpg.

The way I see it:

$3K bike + much faster and funner than 90% of anything on the road at any price + 36mpg on regular= :icon_love:

Why such crappy milage out of the Birds?

I got around 42 out of my old FJR1300.

Why such crappy milage out of the Birds?

I got around 42 out of my old FJR1300.

I guess it depends on your perspective. I ride the Bird pretty fast all the time. I'm always revving it up on backroads and I never cruise in say 6th at 65 or anything like that on the freeway. Speed limit in San Diego is 65-70 on the hwy and most are doing 75-80. So I can cruise at 85 on my Bird all day and rarely worry about getting pulled over. So with my riding style on a big bore powerful bike like the Bird, 36mpg to me is awesome.

If I rode an FJR, I personally doubt I'd see anything over 40mpg given the way I ride. I got 42mpg avg on my SV650 and V-strom 650.