CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need a new rear tire - what are your suggestions?

Blaine

The 57's were replaced by the BT020.... There are OEM BT57 specific to the XX that are still available, but they are mor expensive than any other upgrade tire available ! So many (me included !) don't go back to the stock tire. Same as the stock susspension, the OEM BT57 are a compromise. Ok traction, load and the millage .... I 've got 17K out of my OEM set ! :shock:

YMMV though.....

If you just need the rear, buy the BT020 if you are not to agressive, or the BT010, if you are. Even the BT010 gave me a decent millage, with lot's of grip.

Cheers,

I'm gonna' expose my ignorance here by saying, "I've been happy with the Dunlops" just 'cause I haven't heard anybody else mention 'em.

The original 207s were good for well over 7k miles, 'course they cupped pretty badly and have been replaced by the 208s.

I currently have new 220 ST's front and rear which held up pretty well last year on 'spirited'* rides through WV. I don't thrash the asphalt all that much, so I guess my criteria is mileage more than sticky. From what I've read you are splitting hairs when it comes to traction comparisons (at my riding level, novice-abbynormal), but I guess there's a much greater difference in ride between tires from different manufacturers.

David B.

* spirited: a geezer exceeding the speed limit by 10-20 mph

I'm gonna' expose my ignorance here by saying, "I've been happy with the Dunlops" just 'cause I haven't heard anybody else mention 'em.

I currently have new 220 ST's front and rear which held up pretty well last year on 'spirited'* rides through WV. I don't thrash the asphalt all that much, so I guess my criteria is mileage more than sticky. From what I've read you are splitting hairs when it comes to traction comparisons (at my riding level, novice-abbynormal), but I guess there's a much greater difference in ride between tires from different manufacturers.

Dunlops are infamous for cupping, and since having 220's on my bike I now know what cupping is [NEVER having experienced it before].

My last set of tyres were Dunlop 220's, the fronts cupped to shit after 13,000km and the rears wore down to the rubber bands under the tread [i was on tour].

They are certainly no better that the Bridgestone BT020 and have worn out a lot faster.

I think a lot of riders judge tyres based upon the old and usually worn out set they pulled off and the new set they just put on - of course the new tyres are going to seem better - but even if you stuck to the same tyre brand they would be better as they are new.

Ok...showing my m/c ignorance here. I've been riding for 3 years and have bought new bikes every year since I started. Please explain (pics if possible) what cupping is. I haven't had the opportunity to see or feel that yet. Put 7K on my '95 GS500, then 10K on my '03 Katana 750, and now I've put a hair over 3K on my '02 Blackbird so though I have 20K miles under the belt, it hasn't all been on the same set of tires. I'd like to know so I can be aware of it (cupping) and what it means as far as performance and handling after it happens.

Uneven wearing of the tread blocks, often causing little concave areas on the tire. You can often feel it by running your hand over the tire before it's readily apparent visibly. The lower the pressure you run, the more likely you'll see it happen.

Called the "stealer" and I can ride the bike in and they'll install/balance the tire for $37. (1 hour labor) :shock:

Damn that's cheap.... going shop rate around here is $70/ hour.

The last time I asked the local dealer wanted $140 to change both tires on the bike, and $50 if I brought them in off the bike.... and I supply the tires.

Speaking of tires... I am really curious about the ME-6's that just came out....., I have never had a bad experience with metzlers, just have to wait and see I guess.