CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need help... clutch cable frozen

Titbird

Trying to sell a 95 Yamaha Banshee that has been used twice in the last two years... mainly b/c its stored 120 miles away from home...

Last two times I used it the clutch cable pull was very hard... so I bought one of those clamp on oiler things but it didn't seem to get much lube in there... but the cable still worked... just very hard pull... now a year later its out of storage so I can sell it. Started up just fine...Went to pull in the clutch ... FROZEN!!! Removed it from the machine and sprayed penetrating oil in both ends... waited... put one end in vise... pulled cable with pliers... with all my strength... wouldn't budge...

I now have the whole cable submerged in 2 inches of 10w30 in a pan... was gonna let soak for a day, a week... whatever it takes....

Is this thing shot and needs to be replaced??? Or is there something else I should be soaking it in? Gasoline??? Is there ANYTHING I can do here? Or bite the bullet and buy a new one...

THANKS!!!!

-Tit

Obvious question...did you check the clutch itself...make sure it works fine when actuated at the clutch housing?

Yes, clutch lever moves freely... cable is frozen in its "sleeve" whatever ya call it...

• 2 weeks later...