CBR1100XX.org Forum

2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird For Sale

Trying to get a sense of interest/thoughts in Plan-B options:

Option (1) - Take off Beetle Bags, SW Motech Rack, Givi Topcase, LSL Superbike bars and risers and touring windshield.

Leave the Ohlins/Racetech, Penske suspension, Micron exhaust with PCII (suspension+exhaust cost $3K)

Put the original handlebars and windscreen - keep seat and pegs - ASK $5,500

Option (2) - Same as above but swap out Micron/PCII for stock, swap out Penske for stock rear - ASK $4,500

Any thoughts, opions, TAKERS? Thanks for looking

ORIGINAL AD BELOW:

Asking $7,000 for bike as is. Otherwise would consider returning to stock (except for front suspension) and selling all farkles separately. Located in Auburn NH – next to Manchester NH.

Background:

·Purchased from a friend in 2003 with 8,000 miles

·Currently has 18,740 miles (with a few more each week)

·Over $5,200 invested in quality modifications

·Always garaged – never rained on – always looks like it does in the photos (except for bugs)

The major modifications and farkles that I can remember are listed below.

Engine – stock

·Micron twin competition oval carbon fiber exhaust cans – nice low throaty sound

·Power Commander II with custom map to match Microns

Suspension – Set up for “Sport” touring for 225lb rider

·Front forks – Ohlins valving

·Front forks – Racetech springs

·Superbrace fork brace

·Rear shock – Penske 8981

·New Battlax BT023 on front

·Rear Battlax BT 020 approx 1,500 miles

Luggage

·Pair of Corbin Beetle Bags

·Modified SW-Motech rack with adapter plate

·Givi E370 Topcase (39 liter) with backrest

·Topcase sized so that top loading Beetle bags can open – no problem

Comfort

·LSL Supebike Handlebar kit with risers

·Zero Gravity Sport Touring Screen

·Adjustable MRA windscreen airfoil with Seang edging

·Front seat section redone by Spencer – high quality long distance touring foam

·Rear seat redone by custom seat builder to add comfort padding – increase height by 1”

·Front pegs – Dave’s lowering kit

·Rear pegs – Buell pegs machined to fit – lower and forward by 1 inch

·SW – Motech rack modified and reinforced to move topcase back 1.5 inches

·Combination of higher rear seat, lower rear pegs and topcase reposition adds more than 2 inches of comfort space for passenger

Misc.

·Magknight carbon fiber finish tank bra

·Alaska Leather Buttpads – front and rear seat

·Have original handlebars, rear shock and windscreen

The Bad

·I like to practice tight figure-8’s at the top of the driveway (shown in pics). Dog came out of garage while bike was healed way over during turn. Slammed the brakes to complete stop but could not get the bike back up – so gently placed in down on right side while stopped. I’m anal about how it looks so I had scratches on right lower front fairing and right Beetle bag repainted. Liked the look of the fairing without the decals (which I always remove from my bikes whenever possible) so I removed the decals from the left side, which has never been scratched.

·The bike has 2 – 3 minor nicks accumulated over time, mostly from my kids while the bike was parked and uncovered in the garage. Have to be right next to the bike to find them.

med_gallery_6766_927_213712.jpg

med_gallery_6766_927_198011.jpg

med_gallery_6766_927_164566.jpg

med_gallery_6766_927_40635.jpg

I think this is just a gorgeous bike. I have an '03 with the Beetle bag set up, and have considered having the fairing decals removed. I like the stealthy look it creates!

Thanks to "97 exex" and "ndivita" for the kind words. The Beetle bags and XX are one of the few combinations where the bags actually compliment the bike. The topcase adds utility, especially for touring, so I show it on all the pics but the bike looks way better without the topcase on and with the bike on the tires and off the center stand.

I see there have been about 150 views so far. Just curious if anyone is interested? If so - any input on price?

I figured a low mile XX, always pampered, never rained on, was maybe $4,500 +(-). The farkles at $5,200 cost (+ $500 to $750 for installation) at 1/2 price got me to my $7K number. I know money is tight these days so maybe I'm on quaaludes.

I've got a couple of local CL inquires, including a friend, who can afford it in stock condition. I was hoping it would find a good home with folks who appreciate how good the XX is. I'd hate to tear it apart so I thought I would bump the ad to request feedback on interest and price.

Thanks

Great bike and fair price. I would like to know what mods you did to get the beatles and SW motec to mount together as well as the mods to move the top box back on it. I had to modify my bags, but guess if I had to do it over, might have cut the motec out for the bags.

If you have pictures of the area you changed would do a lot.

Good luck with the sale, worth it for sure. Some may not know it, but great value.

cbrxxquad - thanks for the feedback on the bike and the price. I operate a summer motorcyle tour business that takes me to the Alps 2 - 3 time a year. I get to ride new BMWs, Hondas, Aprilias and the odd KTM and Yamaha on some of the best paved roads in the world. I've set my XX based on those experiences. So far I haven't ridden anything that would seduce me away from my XX. There are a few bikes I would take if given to me for free :-) but I'd still keep the XX.

As for the SW-Motech rack - I did indeed cut out the lower rear side portions so the beetle bags could slide under. I then reinforced the underside where the rack bolts to the bike with additional weldments. Lastly, I use some rubber hocky shaped supports under the tail between the rack and the bike plastic to keep tension/support on the rack. I was originally surprised to find that the rack, with the bag on it, would lift slightly at sustained highway speeds, perhaps because of wind getting underneath it, so the bolts would loosen over time. Using the rubber to support it and keep it tensioned up has solved that issue.

I found the original topcase position to be slightly forward for adults, kids didn't mind. Fortunately I have a friend that owns Micatech motorcycle luggage and he had some SW-Motech components laying around. His shop did a very nice job welding a new 3-hole/plug hole plate onto the top of the exisitng rack and then they powdercoated it for me. He said that all the reinforcement welding, repositioning and powdercoating work would have cost $300. If you are handy with a welder, painting, etc you could certainly do it cheaper.

It is pretty comfortable now and the topcase is still the same quick release system. I'm away from home tomorrow but I'll try to take some pics on Tuesday and post them for you.

I'd say you are close on the price. It is just a crappy economy right now. Plus the XX is one of those bikes that the buyer would have to "understand". Perhaps list it on one of the national listings.

If I had the money, I would have no problem buying it. It is set up very nicely.

Charlie, the XX looks great!! As others have said, it's set-up well. Many high-end components.

Good luck with the sale. If you decide to sell parts, dibs on the Beatle Bags. (I bought another XX)

I'd hate to tear it apart so I thought I would bump the ad to request feedback on interest and price.

Thanks

It's a super nice bike and set up great. But to get $7K for a 12yr old XX........no matter how nicely set up, you're going to have to wait for that special buyer who truly wants all those add-ons (mainly the touring stuff) and is willing to pay for them. That's a much smaller pool than someone willing to pay $4500 for an XX with a few mods. I think it really comes down to how long you're willing to wait.

That's the XX I would have wanted if I knew what it needed when I bought mine. So, for someone that's never had an XX, they would look at the price and move on, not knowing that yours is what they will wind up with after six or so years of spending and experimenting to figure it out. For a guy who wrecked his XX, or someone coming back to the fold after a dalliance with a 14, this would be the ticket. Yeah, it's all the money, but it's very nicely done.

I would try Sport-Touring.net and even ADVRider.com, and as stated, be patient. My thought is, you will probably make more and move it more quickly by returning it to near-stock and parting out the high dollar stuff.

Hey Cal - You'll be the first to know on the Beetle bags if I tear it down. Is this for an additional XX or a replacement XX?

To BarryG and icepick - thanks for the feedback. I believe you're right about the age, the market, finding the right buyer, etc. I've had some interest if the bike were closer to stock and in the $4K - $5K range.

Ideally I would like to sell it by Sept 7 because I have a specific purpose in mind for the money. If it's not sold by then I will likely bide my time or simply hold onto it. I get to ride some new Hondas and BMW's every year and my XX with all the goodies works real well - so no need to switch.

I'll make up my mind by Saturday about taking off the farkles and post any updates then.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback - much appreciated.

I hope you have a real good purpose for that money. That XX is set up so great.....do you have another bike? If not, I don't think you can replace what you have for anything better......unless you're looking for something real comfy and upgright (Wing,Beemer..etc). If not, you may kick yourself for selling. I've already been through that. And nice low mileage XX's are not exactly running rampant.

I've bought my '98 4 1/2 years ago. I'm not making the mistake of selling this one. Selling an XX is often the result of temporary delirium (for the seller).

while i'm not in the market, could you comment on the fork brace? i had one on my old '87 vfr and really liked it but, my own 2000 blackbird's still stock up front.

very nice ride. hopefully you'll find a buyer who appreciates your setup.

Hi ptxyz,

I don't think the fork brace makes a big difference, if any on the street. Maybe two-up and hustling, particularly coming downhill on the brakes with all the weight transferring to the front. I took the XX on a few track days up to the NH International Speedway in Loudon NH. I think it helped there, especially when hard on the brakes and/or trail braking.

I've had a couple of other bikes with linked brakes where the front brake lever activated the calibers on one side only and a fork brace made noticeable difference in those situations.

Bill,

I will keep you mind for the bags if I de-farkle it. I only put about 1,000+(-) miles on it a year. Most of my riding is on other bikes. In the case of the XX I have a couple of good deal options for a pair of dirt bikes here in the States for my son and me, or a good deal for a bike in Europe, where I do most of my riding.

I'm severely conflicted because as BarryG mentioned above the XX is set up really nice. My wife and I went for a great ride a couple of days ago and I would not be too bothered if I ended up keeping it.

My wife and I went for a great ride a couple of days ago and I would not be too bothered if I ended up keeping it.

Ding! We have a winner. Keep it. It will not be worth much less two years from now. Remember, they don't make these any more.