CBR1100XX.org Forum

** SOLVED** Need help quick before I call AAA

everydayrider99

Whats up guys, I am work on the night shift. Started my bike to go home, it started normally, got about 1500 feet from work and it jsut cut out.

The starter is turning over, the fuel pump kicks on, the battery seems to be great becasue of how many times it has turned over without starting. Full tank of gas. I lifted the tank and loosened the fuel line, turned the key to make sure the fuel pump was creating pressure... it is...

It wont fire up.. whats the deal? Fuel cut off relay?? All fuses look good from what I can tell.

Please help thanks.

All vacuum lines are good. My bike starts with random vacuum lines off, it just runs like shit. I swapped all of the relays around and they all seem to functioning. This blows. It just died all of a sudden like it ran out of gas instantly. Is there a fuel shut off valve that I for some reason dont know about that someone could be messing with me?

Does it crank but not start?

If so, is there the smell of unburnt gas in the exhaust from cranking?

If not, I'd suspect you have no fuel injection going on (if FI system...which I presume since you mention pressure).

If yes, then you have a problem with spark...which tells me something is not letting the two coils send the charge to the plugs.

Also, nothing should be in your air box, but check the intakes for obstruction. Funny gag to block of someone's air intake so the engine can't get any O2.

I dont believe I have a power commander, I feel dumb asking, but where would it even be located?

I rode the bike to work, ran fine. Left work 10 hours later, it ran for 3 minutes and then just shut off. It cranks hard, all power is there. It sounds like the fuel pump is running, but is doing so dry. I pulled the fuel line and fuel ran out. So there is not blockage. It seems like it is not getting spark.

If you have spark, spraying some starting fluid into the intake will at least get the bike to stumble...and show that its not getting fuel. Otherwise, its spark.

If it doesn't even burble, its not getting any spark...so you can eliminate individual components like plugs and coils, and look higher up in the system.

probably no big deal.... I wouldnt be bitching but I have 4 great vehicles that are all projects as of now.

99 Blackbird - Unsure - I am mechanically able, but electronically retarded.

97 Magna - Number 4 cylinder not firing, likely no fuel, likely float bowl- will fix friday.

94 VFR - The R/R problem at every 94-97 VFR has, likely needs an entire harness replacement, and some custom wiring to not keep burning through R/R's. There is such a bad problem with this, some chinese company sells them for $13 on ebay. HAAH they last about 200 miles. - Will fix... somday

and the one that pisses me off the most because I cannot repair it myself and will get ripped off on:

2003 Jaguar S type R. A coolant leak that requires removing the supercharger to repair. I am told this is the most common problem with this car and costs $700 to get fixed if you are lucky. Also new front rotors but I can do that. Brembo's are not cheap though.

wahhhhh

done crying, have to be back to work in 7 hours, sleep

Thanks for the quick responses guys, 7 responses in about 3 hours!? Nice.

Bank angle sensor is located under the seat on the XX. I'd make sure that's well connected and all bolts which hold it in place are ok. Not a horrible idea to tap it a few times just in case it somehow got stuck. Typically it doesn't fail suddenly, but it can create exactly the situation you're experiencing. Had a very similar problem on my 954.

Kill Switch

That made me think of the other kill switches.

Sidestand switch may have failed, or how about the neutral safety switch, and is there a bank sensor that kills the engine in a tip over?

Not with my bike right now and I can't remember - will it roll over with the sidestand, kill, or neutral safety open? I don't think so... No bank sensor on a '97 so I'm not familiar.

Bank angle sensor is good, I loosened one of the screws, turned it vertical, plugged unplugged, and listened for the starter relay. This eliminates one more. I havent had time to do any real digging.

Could this be an ECU problem? I am reading a lot about ECU's going bad after 8-10 years, so mine is due.

if you can connect a timing light to one of the sparkplug leads that should let you know if your getting power to the plug.sounds like a fuel blockage somewhere to me though.

I loosened the main pressurized fuel line that runs from the fuel pump in the tank to the side of the fuel rail. I loosened it at the fuel rail, turned key so the fuel pump would run, and saw the little trickly turn into a much heavy flow. Do you think it could be possible to have blockage in the fuel rail?

I like rockme's suggestion to just spray some starter fluid in the intake to at least get a stumble and know I am getting fuel. Will do.

I will update after I have a chance to test all the connections, relays, and ECU with my meter.

Thanks yall

if you can connect a timing light to one of the sparkplug leads that should let you know if your getting power to the plug.sounds like a fuel blockage somewhere to me though.

I loosened the main pressurized fuel line that runs from the fuel pump in the tank to the side of the fuel rail. I loosened it at the fuel rail, turned key so the fuel pump would run, and saw the little trickly turn into a much heavy flow. Do you think it could be possible to have blockage in the fuel rail?

I like rockme's suggestion to just spray some starter fluid in the intake to at least get a stumble and know I am getting fuel. Will do.

I will update after I have a chance to test all the connections, relays, and ECU with my meter.

Thanks yall

Don't waste your time checking things you don't understand. There is no way to really check the ECU with a meter. If the bike pops with starter fluid, then everything except fuel delivery is ok. If the fuel rail has proper pressure, then you know the injectors are not firing. If the injectors are not firing either the ECU is not getting signals to them or the power to the injectors is bad. If the bike does not pop with the starte fluid, then pull a plug wire and put an old spark plug in it while cranking. Let us know what happens.

OK, so I tried Rockme's idea. I defnitely have spark. The engine actually idled for about 4 seconds after spraying a good shot into both intakes.

So if the fuel pump is running, and there is fuel in the pressurized fuel line, and I have spark... where do I even begin? I am just hoping it is not the injectors.

If you crack the fuel line, you should have pressurized fuel that sprays out, not trickles.

If fuel trickles out, but increases in flow with the fuel pump on, then you know that the fuel pump is functioning, but you don't know if its functioning well enough.

Causes of the fuel pump not producing adequate flow would be a damaged or worn out pump, blocked filter, no fuel to pump, or a blocked line.

Measure your voltage to the pump, or jumper the pump with a 12 volt source. You can get a jug and measure the gallons per minute the pump delivers to check against the service manual specs.

Alright guys thanks for all your help.

I pulled the tank, pulled the fuel pump, and I found that the tube from out pump outlet was disconnected...HOW?? Put it back on, took off the filter, cleaned the crud out of there with my starting fluid and air pressure.

Put it all back together.... crank it.... NOOTTTHHIINNGG

then I realized I forgot to fill the tank back up with that combustible liquid.

She is up and running.

Again, Thanks.