CBR1100XX.org Forum

What is the best bike dolly?

FiremanBob

I just bought a HF dolly on sale for $80, put my Suzuki on it and it works pretty well. I need another stand of some kind for the Bird. One weakness of the HF dolly is that it has only one side extension for the side stand. It would better if I could ride in, give the bike a 180, and then ride back in without having horse the dolly around so the extension faces the right way again.

I want to use a dolly to spin the bike around in the garage so it will be easy to come and go without having to do an 8-point turn inside the garage. My driveway is to steep to turn, or even stop, a bike on. Having two bikes in a one-car garage is tighter than I thought it would be.

I searched and found some other dollies that go under the center stand. In the video, a smiling woman spins her Gold Wing around by pushing down on the tail to make the front wheel come up. It seemed effortless. But I am doubtful that it would work so well on my Bird. For some reason they seem to cost about $200 also, which is 2.5x the price of the HF one.

Have any of you all tried these, and if so how did they work for you?

Thanks, Dave. Is that discount something I can glom onto?

I pay $40/yr for VIP membership which entitles me to private discounting I have shipped to a different address before so, contact me via PM and I can order it, pay for it, and put the shipping to your address in my name.

Then you can PayPal me a gift payment when you get it.

If you decide to move forward with it....I'm cool with doing that for you.

Thanks, Dave. I'm still unclear about how it actually works and would appreciate your clarification:

1. I accept that it will pivot the bike on the front wheel, essentially turning in two bike lengths.

2. Does it allow you to easily tip the front wheel up so that the bike will spin within its own length, using the dolly as the axis? When you do that, does the bike become unstable on the center stand?

I just want to be sure so that I can avoid having a returned merchandise issue if it doesn't work as I envision it. Returns are a buttpain and a cost for all involved.

Thanks, Dave. I'm still unclear about how it actually works and would appreciate your clarification:

1. I accept that it will pivot the bike on the front wheel, essentially turning in two bike lengths.

2. Does it allow you to easily tip the front wheel up so that the bike will spin within its own length, using the dolly as the axis? When you do that, does the bike become unstable on the center stand?

I just want to be sure so that I can avoid having a returned merchandise issue if it doesn't work as I envision it. Returns are a buttpain and a cost for all involved.

You tube it....see it live.

Centerstand it on the dolly. One hand on the seat one on the grab rail....push down on the grab rail and swing her in circles or any direction you desire.

• 1 month later...