CBR1100XX.org Forum

Two newb questions regarding exhaust and ignition.

lastshadowxx

So I just bought my first XX which is also my very first motorcycle. I noticed yesterday that the ignition will turn and the bike WILL start without the key using practically anything. Screwdriver, quarter you name it. Seeing as how this is not a good thing, how should I go about getting it fixed? Is there a rekeying kit or do I have to take it to Honda? Any ideas would be nice.

And secondly, I'm thinking about getting a stainless full Yoshi exhaust kit that also makes the bird single exhaust. My reason for this is not a HP gain but more weight reduction. I'm 5'10" and weigh 165lbs and the bike is VERY heavy to me. (maybe I need to hit the gym lol) But what I was wondering is with a full exhaust system, do I need to upgrade air filter and rejet the carbs? The air filter is no problem but rejetting seems more of a task. Like a said, HP gain is not really needed, the bike is already stupid fast especially for a first time rider, but I would like to shave as much weight as possible. Bike is completely stock as of now.

Since the ignition is broken, I'm worried that the bike may be stolen. Would first take it to the local DMV for an inspection. Best to get that taken care of before you put any cash in it.

Once you have that taken care of, you can buy replacement lock kits on eBay for not too bad of a price. Be sure you get one for the 97-98 birds - they are different for the later bikes.

Replacing the stock cans with a yoshi system will save ~ 40 pounds. The bike will still be heavy - sorry.

Is this your first bike? OMFG. Please take it easy or you'll take it hard. Consider a MSF riding course. http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx It might save you some hospital time.

Good Luck

The bike definitely isn't stolen, although that doesn't mean it hasn't been in the past. Or at least an attempt may have been made to steal it. I have a clean title in hand. It sucks but the bike looks amazing with only 21k miles, I got it for a pretty amazing price. So far that's the only thing I've found wrong with it.

As for it being my first bike, I agree, it's more than a bit much. I will just take it very easy and not ride outside of my limitations. I was shocked at how tame and easy to ride at low rpms it is, although I quickly learned that after 5k it becomes a different animal entirely. So far, I'm in love

I have also taken and passed the MSF class prior to buying the bike.

That all sounds good. ebay had a few ign switches that'll fit your bike. It's an easy fix - 2 bolts on the top triple clamp hold the thing on, and 1 electrical plug. Figure an hour if you're careful. I'd remove the gas tank to avoid scratching it. Other than that, have at it!

But what I was wondering is with a full exhaust system, do I need to upgrade air filter and rejet the carbs?

Jetting the bike stock or other wise, takes the flat spot out at about 5-K. If you are not looking for more power or noise, maybe you should ride it a while then make the decision about the pipes. I'm not sure you will notice the difference in weight of the pipes.

Had another thought. If more control is your goal, then upgrading the clutch + brake levers on the bike to pazzos or knock offs will bring them in closer to the handlebar, and eliminate the gorilla sized reach the stock levers require. Might be worth looking into.

if you think its a beast at 5k you should see what happens at 7k and up. :icon_biggrin:

just be careful and respect the machine, they will bite you.

Had new tires put on this past weekend and went for a ride Saturday and was 38 or so deg. outside.

rolled out of the driveway onto the road and under 3k rpms the rear spooled up for about 50 ft. Hell I was trying to be careful. :icon_doh:

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the "be careful" comments if this really IS your first bike. This will not end up well....period.

I'm not going to lie: it's going to end up ugly, no matter how "nice" you decide to try and wade into riding sportbikes using an XX as your first. No matter now cautious you intend to be with this machine, it's going to bite you. Forgive me, but it is simply NOT a good idea for you to have this one as your first.

Others can gripe and complain at me for my stand on this. I'll happily listen to their liberal thinking....right up until we hear about how you die or are maimed for life, and then want to blame Honda or someone else because you weren't told, "NO." Take some responsibility, my friend, and smarten up.

Put the XX away. Put your ego away. Both will get wrecked using this machine as your first.

Start on something small. You're going to wreck a few times while learning; you best not hurt yourself... or other people... while doing it.

Save the XX as a reward. It's well worth the wait. Trust those of us who know. We want what's best for you.

M.

Just a quick suggestion on how to make the bike "feel" a little lighter on it's feet.

1. Genmar handle bar risers.

2. Front fork re-do. New springs and oil.

3. 6mm rear end shim.

4. Tires that aren't worn the hell out and flattened in the center.

All of these things will make the bike feel lighter once you start rolling and the difference will be substantial.

Just a quick suggestion on how to make the bike "feel" a little lighter on it's feet.

1. Genmar handle bar risers.

2. Front fork re-do. New springs and oil.

3. 6mm rear end shim.

4. Tires that aren't worn the hell out and flattened in the center.

All of these things will make the bike feel lighter once you start rolling and the difference will be substantial.