CBR1100XX.org Forum

Going with Metzler Roadtec Z6

Pete in PA

I already don't smoke or drink, where am I going to get MY extra cash :?: :???:

BTW Pirelli and Metzeler merged. Neither can claim they are the parent co.

I ran Z6's, (still running the front) Pirellis can't be much different.

I've had my M6's on for around 800 miles now. I love the feel, but I'm having a strange issue with them. I can't seem to wear them all the way to the edge without dragging my boots, even if I move up on the pegs. Granted, I have size 12 feet and I'm wearing Red Wing work boots, but still... Is it just me or is the shape of the tire such that it makes it harder? And yes, my feet are dragging before the feelers, too.

X-lax, Have you tried raising the rear suspension? I did the modification recently after scraping my size 12 boots also and haven't touched them down since, even with riding two up.

I wear a 12.5, and my boots never drag before the feelers. Get up on your toes and the feelers should be the first thing to hit. For reference, my heels rub on the rear peg hangers when I'm riding aggresively (or attempting to :razz: ).

Shimming the back is a good idea regardless. :grin:

I wear a 12.5, and my boots never drag before the feelers.

Red, it's not the size, it's the width. :razz:

I probably was hanging the toe portion of my boot off the pegs somewhat, which was the part of my boot that scraped.

I have shimmed the rear, 6mm actually, and while I might not be on my toes, I'm damn close. I don't want to raise the rear any higher, so maybe I'll just get thinner shoes...I don't know.

Red, it's not the size, it's the width.

Yeah, if you're wearing an EEE or something, then there's your problem- you're a freak of nature. Probably have a happy wife, though :wink:

My main point was there's plenty of room for my normal width 12.5s between the bike and ground when the feelers hit, if I have 'em in the right place. Your results will obviously vary :)

I'm also from the school of big feet, and have only scraped a foot a couple of times. I always position my inside foot back, and my knee forward when riding aggressively.

Only times I dragged a foot was when I was being lazy. :razz:

The Pirelli vs. Metzeler merger is a silly distinction as they share R&D and manufacturing/engineering ideas and such.

What makes the Diablo a new type of tire is the way it is manufactured. It is the first tire to be manufactured by automation at a critical stage (forget which) but the result is a stronger and lighter tire. The Diablo Corsa is almost the same but it has more grip compound.

I used to run Metzeler's M1 then switched to the Diablo Corsa. Yes, you get only 70% of the mileage and they cost $30 more a set, but the results are well worth it, which means the tire is more stable at higher speeds, inspires loads more confidence. Makers you a better rider than your skill level may deserve. And lets you stay in your safe zone way longer than a Bridgestone.

Now, if you are just a commuter -- this may not be worth it, but if you do an odd trackday or ride aggressively then try the Corsas. It's a shame not to take advantage of the technology when it's there at such an easy price -- compared to all the expensive mods out there.

That is, tire technology advances are one of THE premiere factors that allow top racers to do what they are doing -- cutting lap records to shreads. And when the technology trickles down to the consumer -- man, it's almost a sin not to bite on it.

You want to expand your performance envelope -- the grippiest most stable tires will add more for less money than any other upgrade. Name one does more for less, if you can -- well, you just haven't tried these near racetrack spec treads yet. I'd rate this switch higher than changing sprockets or washer shims for the rear suspension as far as performance improvement goes.

Lastly, as to big feet and hard riding. Any one with this problem would do well to invest in a set of those multihole mounting plates which allow the foot pegs to be raised and lowered. Should take less than 10 minutes to switch from one to the other position.

I just got a set of Z6's and put about 600 miles on em'. When I got the bird recently it had Dunlop 205's on it and they sucked. I ran them for 1400 more miles till they were shot. The difference in the handling with the wore out Dunlops and the new Metzlers is like night and day. As I was new to the Blackbird I wasn't sure if it was tires, the bike or me. I still suck at cornering but the bike and the tires are great. Really liking this bike and if the rear Z6 lasts 5K I'll be happy with it. :grin: :grin:

• 4 weeks later...

My Z6 rear is pretty much toast at 6700 miles. I could probably get to 7K if I felt like finding the cord.

Bottom line, I like this tire, and will be buying another. It definitely wore a little more on the left than right, which is odd, but caused no handling issues that I noticed.

Another thing, there are wear indicators on these things. Someone posted somewhere that there weren't, but I don't feel like digging through this whole thread to find it (hell, it might have been me.....).

Pics later.

My Z6 rear is pretty much toast at 6700 miles. I could probably get to 7K if I felt like finding the cord.

Bottom line, I like this tire, and will be buying another. It definitely wore a little more on the left than right, which is odd, but caused no handling issues that I noticed.

Another thing, there are wear indicators on these things. Someone posted somewhere that there weren't, but I don't feel like digging through this whole thread to find it (hell, it might have been me.....).

Pics later.

About 6k miles outta mine. Gonna replace it tomorrow night. Look for "TWI" on the sidewall. That lines up with the actual wear bars on the tread..

TWI= Tread Wear Indicator. Duh, somehow I never put that together before :???: .

It's not on the sidewall on mine, though. It was over on the edge of the tread. I can still kinda see it on the right side. Sidewall would be a better place for it.