CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Help chasing Phantom Oil Leak

cbrbear

Ok so prior to laguna seca I did full maintenance on the blackbird including oil change where I went from semi synthetic to full synthetic. Here in lies the problem.... now i have developed a minor leak on my oil cooler. I thought ok maybe i pinched the O-ring (since I just replaced them) but nope... so I put a new one in and put a small coat of silicone sealent on the face of the fitting to ensure I was getting a solid seal. At first I thought, yay its gone... but after almost 100 miles the leak is back but not as major... its NOT coming from the fittings.... im wondering is it possible the cooler itsself has a crack somewhere in it? Anyone ever experience this? I dont want to drop 100 bucks for a new cooler... any aftermarket coolers out there for the XX BTW its a carbed bird 97/98. Any help is appreciated!

Ok so prior to laguna seca I did full maintenance on the blackbird including oil change where I went from semi synthetic to full synthetic. Here in lies the problem.... now i have developed a minor leak on my oil cooler. I thought ok maybe i pinched the O-ring (since I just replaced them) but nope... so I put a new one in and put a small coat of silicone sealent on the face of the fitting to ensure I was getting a solid seal. At first I thought, yay its gone... but after almost 100 miles the leak is back but not as major... its NOT coming from the fittings.... im wondering is it possible the cooler itsself has a crack somewhere in it? Anyone ever experience this? I dont want to drop 100 bucks for a new cooler... any aftermarket coolers out there for the XX BTW its a carbed bird 97/98. Any help is appreciated!

I say yes.

It is, in essence, a radiator, and located where road debris can strike it just right.

My radiator had a pinhole leak I had fixed. I can still, under the right conditions, see puffs of steam come from the fixed area even though pressure testing time and time again shows no leak. Never had a coolant failure since the repair, but it makes me wonder how it manages to happen at all.

Best thing you could do is degrease the cooler and then when it's dry apply some powder then run and see if a wet spot develops. With that, you might be able to have it fixed or replace the component.

yeah I thought about doing the baby powder thing. Its not the line as I have braided SS lines from a HEL oil cooler kit. There is NO evidence at all that the leak is coming from anywhere but maybe the neck of the oil cooler where the line mounts or just below... ill just have to take her apart and bring it to work and have it put on our hydraulic test stand and check it out.... any idea what pressure to test it at?