CBR1100XX.org Forum

California model restriction?

rosedalesam

I was just told that California legal Birds were given extra exhaust charcoal gear, and were identified by an "L" in the model or vin. Is this true? I have also been told that some Birds have a restrictor chip limiting them to 130+ MPH. I've never gone 130 on the Bird I had, but find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have heard of a mod- new chip- to bypass this. More BS or what??? I know that you guys have The Knowledge, and I need to be educated. Thanks, Scott

I was just told that California legal Birds were given extra exhaust charcoal gear, and were identified by an "L" in the model or vin. Is this true? I have also been told that some Birds have a restrictor chip limiting them to 130+ MPH. I've never gone 130 on the Bird I had, but find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have heard of a mod- new chip- to bypass this. More BS or what??? I know that you guys have The Knowledge, and I need to be educated. Thanks, Scott

I don't know about the "L" but CA birds have the extra emissions gear.

There are various methods use to restrict the XX's power output depending on what country/continent you are in, including different ECU's, intake and exhaust restrictors. There are NO restrictive devices on XX's provided for the North American market. If you find one here, its an import from another country, which does sometimes happen.

There are various methods use to restrict the XX's power output depending on what country/continent you are in, including different ECU's, intake and exhaust restrictors. There are NO restrictive devices on XX's provided for the North American market. If you find one here, its an import from another country, which does sometimes happen.

+1 From memory Japanese and French market bikes are restricted power wise but that's about it :icon_think:

My CA spec '03 had the canister and other emissions plumbing but was not limited to 130MPH. It saw over

150MPH more than once.