CBR1100XX.org Forum

front end stand

G2

I'd like to get a stand that will facilitate front forks/wheel removal. Other than Pit Bull products...any other recommendations? I found the PB for about $150 at a couple of places, anyone know of someplace cheaper?

I have been doing the brick/wood with ratcheting strap to the rafters back-up thing. Time for something better, money is burning a hole...

Suggestions?

G2

Rick, he wants to remove his forks!!!

G2, I agree, for the money the Handy's are great and I tie down the back end when I need to drop the forks (cheapest solution, maybe not ideal for you though).

MaXX

i went with the Powerstand from www.parts411.com

great company to deal with, courteous and helpful.

the stand itself is a monster of metal and easily allows a single person lift of the front end.

though, even with the adapter, on my 2002 i get some fairing contact and squish, but so far (5 lifts so far) no cracks or problems caused.

you do have to move the horn and brake cable with a single screw removal, but i think that's true for any of the stands.

i would recommend it, and it's in your price range.

I do not tie down the rear wheel, I take off the rear wheel and rear cowl and tie down the back of the subframe to some eyebolts through a board that is then held down on the floor by a brace that is up against an overhang in my garage. It would be a bunch easier to just put some bolts in the floor, but I was working with what I had. Given that I have only needed to work on the forks once in 5 years of owning my bike (vs. taking the tire off evey month or so) I did not see the need for a pin stand. But then again, I am frugal on certain things. I wonder what that is about????

EDIT: I couldn't find the picture, sorry.

My $.02

MaXX

Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't thought about strapping it to the floor, that's a great idea! 1/2" hammer drill, lag bolts, anchors, bit...hell, I don't even have to go to the store!

Not as trick as that PB stand but considerably cheaper. Frugal is not a bad thing.:wink:

G2

did someone say Pit Bull?

"I'm like a pitbull fucking up your program, no one witnessed but they heard the gun blast"...... sorry, that's the Cypress Hill coming out in me.

Gotta sing that part every time i hear Pit Bull.

I have Lockhart Phillips front stand from Chaparral for 85 $ , and couple Pitt Ball swing arm stands.Pit balls are better quality,thicker tubing makes them much more stable,durable finnish while paint on LP is cheap and keeps peeling off.LP is rather el chepo.

Also keep in mind that chorn has to be removed,I guess guy responsible for placing it on the bike had too much sake day before.

I've got a screw type jack that (I think) came from a mid 60's Jeep.

I put the bike up on the rear wheel stand, then use the jack on the oil pan. I use a piece of wood between the bike and stand to spread out the load a little. It's worked great for me. It was real nice of Honda to leave that open space under the motor (and to offset the pipes) so you could change oil, or jack up the front end without removing fairing pieces.

I did this for my cbr1000f, would think it should work for XX. Placed short 2x6 crosswise under center stand footprints, pull it up on centerstand and use hyrdraulic jack under oilpan (1x4 spacer to protect) and couple pumps lifts front wheel nicely and sits her back on rear tire for a solid setting.

I do something similar for winter storage to keep weight of tires.