CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dell Latitude D505 *SOLD*

Not setting a price because I don't know what it's worth.

Dell Latitude D505

1.60 Ghz single core (Pentium M)

1280 MB RAM (we upgraded it)

14" XGA display (1024 x 768)

30 GB HDD

Modem port (56 kbps)

Modular CD-RW/DVD-ROM and Modular Floppy drive (use only one at a time unless you use USB interface cable (included)

LAN port

2 USB ports

VGA out

Serial out

Parallel out

WiFi

I "mind-wiped" it for someone to use as a Macbook conversion, but he had an issue with its one problem.

On/Off switch is twitchy. You have to press the button and the other side of the indicator panel to get the switch to trip. If you're an electronics guy you can probably replace the bad switch yourself or you can live with this issue. Dell's only offer is to replace the whole blasted MB for one switch.

In every other way, it works fine. I can restore the system to when it had XP on it and remove the office-specific stuff we had on it. Might start doing that anyhow.

Has power cord, original docs and discs, and two spare batteries.

PM or post up if you are interested.

Dell PDF if you want details....

d505_spec.pdf

Got the laptop reconfigured and updated. Put OpenOffice on it, CutePDF Writer and Adobe Reader 10. Firefox and AVG.

Updated specs.

Here's a photo. Sorry. Used my phone for it.

The power button near the top (oval dark thing) is the trouble spot. The indicator lights don't work unless you press down on them. Power on/off manually is done by pressing hard on the button and the other end of the oval. Been that way for a long time, but after the extended warranty was up. :icon_wall:

In every other respect, it works perfectly.

post-3006-1311878680.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How hard is that power switch to work?

My elderly mother just expressed an interest in a laptop and I thought of this one.

She's quite alert and computer savvy.

I'm just wondering what you thought as far as dexterity/difficulty level.

Thanks

How hard is that power switch to work?

My elderly mother just expressed an interest in a laptop and I thought of this one.

She's quite alert and computer savvy.

I'm just wondering what you thought as far as dexterity/difficulty level.

Thanks

Odd question. If you press down firmly on the power switch AND the opposite side of the dark oval where the switch is located, it has worked with no problems to date, and this problem has been present for well over a year now. Normally, you'd just press gently on the button and it'd work.

I'm not concerned about your mom until you say "elderly." Would this become an irritant to her? I paid $175 for the the one on the other thread and it was newer and faster than this one. I'm not sure what to ask for this one especially because you'd be choosing to live with this issue (unless you have the know-how to fix it yourself.

OF COURSE, you do get two extra batteries and could probably recoup the cost (should it crap out on you) by selling the modular floppy drive, modular hard drive, power converter, HDD, and THREE batteries it's coming with. Then you could just about give the laptop away for someone to use for spare parts if you wanted to.

Unless it's a "surprise" for her, go ahead and ask how she feels. If her hands are frail or arthritic, she might protest. If they are good, and she thinks $100 or so for a used laptop with all this is still a good deal, go for it.

How hard do you press? That's a hard question. You have to press down firmly, but not "hard" and hold it until you see the three lights blink on. You have to press down hard enough that the current owner found it frustrating (he used it all the time), but not so frustrating that he was in any rush to use the new laptop we got for him back in December.

I'd like to take it for $100 please.

She has a new desktop that she's doing stuff on. I can't follow - she goes that fast. No athritis etc. ...manicured finger nails might be the biggest hurdle.

There are some tiny icons for sound on the bottom of the integrated screen she reads I can barely see. When you hit 70 and have a touch of glaucoma, you get a complete update on your eyes. She had to wear glasses for years - now just for reading...

She just likes the idea of a computer she can carry around, maybe watch Netflix in bed, recipes in the kitchen etc.

Thanks,

Bill