CBR1100XX.org Forum

JB weld

Dotetcher

I've never used it but am thinking of doing some repairs to some older Kawasaki concours plastics. I have a main fairing from my '94 that is in excellent condition with the exception of 3 broken mounting tabs. I have a donor fairing for the tabs and am gonna use the lowers as a jig to attach the tabs to the upper. Has anyone used JB weld for anything like this and what were your results. Did you think the mounting tabs were sturdy enough after welding (epoxying) or not. TIA

Skip

If the tabs you are referring to are all plastic. Try a multi-use plumbing cement. It is made to bond various types of plastic.

If the tabs you are referring to are all plastic. Try a multi-use plumbing cement. It is made to bond various types of plastic.

Agreed if the fairings are plastic.

JB Weld is great stuff, but not flexible. If your are attaching to a flexible fairing, it will probably pop off. I have had fair results using JB weld over window screen material. Use it like you would fiberglass cloth and resin to strengthen and spread the bond area. You can sand the mounting area on the fairing to give a larger surface area for the JB weld to attach to, and then use the screen and weld to make a bigger patch.

I think most fairings are PVC style plastic. I would get a small can of PVC pipe glue and try to bond another piece of plastic in a un-seen area. If it holds good, then try the clips.

Or better yet, use some pieces of the donor fairing as welding material and a soldering iron to Plastic Weld the clips on.

I used JB Weld on one of the tabs that held a plastic side cover on my '99 Valkyrie (I think it was ABS plastic) which had some tension on it and it worked just fine. I used quite a bit though and roughed up where I wanted it to adhere. The tab was not so much "held on" by the JB weld but rather "held in" the blob of JB weld if you know what I mean. You couldn't see the repair from the outside so it didn't matter what it looked like.

Go to an auto body supplier and get either the bumper cover repair kit or the two part epoxy specifically for plastic repair.

A hint. If you are joining two parts in what is essentially a butt joint... get some window screen to act as a binding agent and then JB weld to your heart's content.

The mesh acts much like the mesh under concrete. If you don't know that that is, just trust me.

It acts as a reinforcement to keep everything together. It might not be perfect, but it will last for a while.

(dumbing down... cut some door screen to about 2" bigger than the fix and then jb weld the mesh into the back of the joint. This will help flexibility and breakdown and will keep your bike looking good for a while. Apply the screen reinforcement over the joint with generous coverage. JB weld to join the mesh to the crack.)

Give VersaChem Plastic Welder, Part no. 47809 a try. It bonds ABS, acrylic, ceramic, china, fiberglass, glass, most metals, most reinforced plastics, PVC stainless steel, steel, styrene, vinyl and wood. Sets in 15 minutes. It really does work. Clean up and rough up the areas to be bonded.

I have used this stuff called Q-Bond that I got from my local Napa parts store and the shit works great!!!!

The glue is like crazy glue but the kit comes with 2 different powders 1 for plastic+1 for metal. It makes a strong bond. I have repaired all sorts of crap with it. And the latest was a mounting pin on the gauge cluster for my f4 it work like a champ!!!!