CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changing Valve Stems

blkbrdrydr

A few days ago, I ordered a set of Ariete 90 Degree valve stems from BikeEffects and a No-Mar Tire Changer to be used at my next tire change.

Unfortunately, I went out to the garage and carefully examined the existing valve stems and found cracks in both of them.

Because I may need to ride several hundred miles before my new valve stems and tire changer arrive, I want to know how to just replace the valve stems myself, with some genuine Chinese ones that I just picked up at the Honda dealership.

First off, can I replace those things by just breaking the bead on one side of the tire?

How can I break the bead without any special tools? Use the side stand on the other bike to break it? Use the bottom of my car jack while jacking up the car? I don't want to construct something special to just break the bead on two tires.

After changing the valve stem, do I just need to inflate the tire until the bead is reseated (one POP)? Do I need to lubricate the bead and/or the inside edge of the rim, and with what?

I'm just looking for the most simple way of replacing cracked valve stems until I can use my new tire changer and install my new Ariete valve stems next week.

I would take the wheels to a local tire shop and ask if they'd break the bead for you. You're talking maybe a minute to do both wheels, and they don't even have to pick the wheels up off the ground to do it. All of us that ride at my work all change our tires on the car tire machines.

I've done exactly what you're describing before. Trust me that it is more difficult than it sounds, getting the stem in and through the hole, let alone seating it. Not being able to get truly behind the stem to push it into the hole is a real handicap. If you have big hands, you're screwed.

I took a piece of wire, and after popping the bead, ran the wire through the old valve stem and out past the rim. Then I cut the outside portion of the valve stem off with a razorknife and pulled it up off the wire. The wire will now prevent the inner portion of the old valve stem from dropping into the tire - again, it sounds like a simple thing to fish out, but it isn't unless you have the hands of a four-year-old Korean girl. Now you can reach inside the tire and run the inner portion of the old stem down the wire and outside the tire to the trash.

I recommend taking a piece of strong, thin cord and running it up through the bottom of the valve stem and out the top, tying a large knot at the underside (inside-the-tire portion) of the stem. Leave yourself a couple of feet coming out the top of the stem and at least a foot after the knot on the bottom side. Now take your piece of wire (still hanging through the hole in the rim and out between the rim and unseated bead) and put a hook in it, connecting it to the long part of the string. You will pull the wire, and then the string, inside the tire and up through the hole in the rim - the knot needs to be large enough that it won't pass through the stem, and you'll really need to pull on it so make it a strong one. Tie the string off to something so that when your hand cramps and you have to pull it out of the tire, you haven't lost the entire first part of the battle. Lube the new stem with a drop of dish detergent and some water just when you are ready to start working it between the rim and bead. Pulling on the string, pushing on the inside portion of the new stem, and grunting with expletives should bring you success. Once it seats, pull the string out from inside the tire.

The same soap/water combo makes seating easier and helps the bead pop at less than 2000 psi. (usually around 80 is the most I have to go if the bead is lubed). Rotate the tire and feel the gap (mmmmm...) between the rim and the ridge (not sure what it is called) on the tire - that should be a uniform gap all the way around the tire, or it isn't seated somewhere.

I have had success installing a new stem from the outside in the past. It requires lots of patience, lube, force, getting an edge under the hole in the rim, and pushing the other edge down with a screwdriver. I don't recommend trying this unless you have spare valve stems and don't care if your wheel gets scratched up from the screwdriver when it slips off the lubed stem and careens down the side of your wheel under extreme force. Or into your knee, as the case may be.

I've done exactly what you're describing before. Trust me that it is more difficult than it sounds, getting the stem in and through the hole, let alone seating it. Not being able to get truly behind the stem to push it into the hole is a real handicap. If you have big hands, you're screwed.

I took a piece of wire, and after popping the bead, ran the wire through the old valve stem and out past the rim. Then I cut the outside portion of the valve stem off with a razor knife and pulled it up off the wire. The wire will now prevent the inner portion of the old valve stem from dropping into the tire - again, it sounds like a simple thing to fish out, but it isn't unless you have the hands of a four-year-old Korean girl. Now you can reach inside the tire and run the inner portion of the old stem down the wire and outside the tire to the trash.

Mike,

I wish that I'd read your excellent advice before I removed the valve stem and here's why...!

I used a short piece of 2x4 and stood it up on the edge of the tire. Then I wedged a full length 2x4 under the rear tire of my wife's car and on top of the short piece. All it took was a bit of push and the bead was easily broken from the rim. I'm on a roll. :icon_biggrin:

THEN.... I used a set of vice grips to pull the valve stem out of the rim and you already know exactly what happened. :icon_redface: The little rubber fucker split in half and the part inside of the rim is now rolling around loose inside of the tire. Since I don't have the hands of a four year old Korean girl, it's still bouncing around in there. Since I only have a short tire iron available.......... it's going to stay inside of that damn tire until the No-Mar arrives and I can just remove the tire from the rim. (Since it was shipped today from St. Louis, it may be here on Thursday). If I really get lucky, the Ariete valve stems will also get here by Thursday and I'll have learned this lesson for no reason, whatsoever.

Thank you for taking the time to share the great information.

Remember seeing those stems mentioned in another thread. Was thinking of getting a set for my next tire change. Such a pain in the ass to check and add air with the straight stems. Let us know how you like. Looks like a quality item.

Steve

A new valve stem will go in a lot easier with a "valve stem pulling tool". Don't have a picture, but you should be able to find one at any auto parts store.

It threads on to the stem and has a cross piece or tee handle to pull with. Can't be more than a few dollars.

A new valve stem will go in a lot easier with a "valve stem pulling tool". Don't have a picture, but you should be able to find one at any auto parts store.

It threads on to the stem and has a cross piece or tee handle to pull with. Can't be more than a few dollars.

YEP... I have a valve stem pulling tool but the handle was too long to allow the thing to screw onto the threads of the valve stem.

In any case, I got the Ariete valve stems from Bike Effects today and like the fact that they just press into the valve stem opening with a bit of lubricant and then I just needed to add a little bit of medium thread locker and tighten the nut inside of the rim to about 88 in-lbs.

I would take the wheels to a local tire shop and ask if they'd break the bead for you. You're talking maybe a minute to do both wheels, and they don't even have to pick the wheels up off the ground to do it. All of us that ride at my work all change our tires on the car tire machines.

Youve wasted more time thinking and typing than this would take to remedy at an auto tire store. I mount my own tires on the standard machine, aside from scuffs i dont care about (got no pads on machine), its gravy. Anyhow, replacing valves is a matter of lining the bead up on a machine, steppin on a pedal and Pop. While the one bead is compressed, a valve is pulled thru (w/a tool EVERY TIRE SHOP has). The machine I use easily holds the rim secure to reseat the bead. Being a tire that aint brand new, you MAY get away with doing it on the floor. Use a water based lube, and its done. Took me longer to type than to do it at the shop on a 10yr old machine. Prolly had charged you $5. Check the balance with the axle and a cpla blocks while its off. Good luck!

Only suggestion I would make relative to balancing your tires------get a balancing setup that uses very low friction bearings (like mounted in a pillow block setup), with a shaft with cones to adjust up to your wheel bearings and then take your time and do it. The wheel bearings with their wipers have way too much drag to balance accurately. To check for yourself, do it using the axel and wheel bearings----then test with a low friction set up---you will be surprised. You have a great set up coming with the No-Mar---might as well put the icing on the cake with a good tool to balance. Probably around $60.00 or so----is what I paid on Ebay. Product was made by a retired tool makek so it was really well done. Been a few years now---but surely someone has filled the void if he is no longer providing them.

Happy trails, kel