CBR1100XX.org Forum

battery wont stayed charged!!!

pdaddy21

i have owned a few bikes in the past, and also have a harley in the garage,but i have never really had to work on any of them, i just bought this bird just a couple of months ago and i am having trouble with the battery going dead after about an hour or so of riding, not a mechanic but mechanically inclined, i am assuming either the stator or the rectifier is fried, is there an easy way to figure out what exactly it is before i dump a but load of money on shit i dont need?????? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

newbie to this forum and love the site,alot of helpful info!!!!

Not excessive heat - warmth maybe... Odds are the reg/rectifier is toast - more likely than a bad stator (although that can happen). Good advice to search/read related posts - there's not much in this regard that hasn't been discussed in great detail. Be patient and thorough; the charging system on the 'Bird isn't that complicated.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/files/reference/charging_diag.pdf

i went ahead and just ordered them both to be safe!! the stator side cover gets a little hot,not so hot i cant touch it but hot enough to not leave my hand on it long! thanks guys

i went ahead and just ordered them both to be safe!! the stator side cover gets a little hot,not so hot i cant touch it but hot enough to not leave my hand on it long! thanks guys

If it's not noticeably hotter than the clutch cover, it's just normal engine heat. Engine oil can get to the stator during normal operation.