CBR1100XX.org Forum

OK...the Sabre is officially up for sale.

1985 with 8,430 miles.

I bought it in 2009 from a guy that collected Hondas. Last year I rebuilt the carbs with 100% success. I still can't believe how happy I am with the way it runs. I just put new tires on it a couple months ago. I removed all the coolant tubes and replaced the o-rings. It has a new air filter, plugs, oil change, the works. The brake fluid should be changed again. It was 20 year old sludge when I first got it. I flushed it as best I could and knew it would take a few more times to get it all. The brake fluid windows need to be replaced. I have them, but didn't get to it. The only possible concern I have with the bike is the valve seals. When I bought it, I was taking it out of storage. In the beginning, it would puff a very small amount of smoke the next time I'd start it after having gone for a two or more hour ride, and only when it first started. That stopped and it hasn't done it since. At some point, they may need replaced. There is a small dent on the muffler, right where the sidestand would hit if it fell over. I don't think this bike ever did. Seeing the same dent on all the Sabres...I'm starting to think it's caused by something else. I don't know. But, while saying that, the headlight/bucket/gauges assembly is off by just a little bit. Still, I see absolutely no sign of damage and would have to say it's just the way this thing is put together.

Anyway, that's my entire take on the bike. I just bought another and need to thin the heard.

$2800 before it goes on ebay.

I'll post new pictures soon. Here's one from when I brought it home. It looks the same, except new tires.

Thanks!

Walt

Beautiful bike!

I had an 83 V65 Magna and an 84 700 Sabre. Bought them from the original owners back in the 90's.

Good thing / too bad that I have a one car garage with an old Lincoln and 2 motorcycles in there... :icon_think:

:icon_biggrin:

Very nice Sabre! I had an 85 700 that was my first "nice" bike. I had it in 88/89 or so. When I was 19 I took a 9 day trip with two buddies, with no destination or schedule. We covered about 4500 miles and ended up in Northern Cali. Good memories!

Did you by chance buy that bike from a collector in South Dakota?

Sweet!

I used to ride a 1985 V65 Sabre.

I was looking for a V65 Sabre before I bought the XX.

Where the hell were your then?

Did you do the external oil line mod?

Very nice Sabre! I had an 85 700 that was my first "nice" bike. I had it in 88/89 or so. When I was 19 I took a 9 day trip with two buddies, with no destination or schedule. We covered about 4500 miles and ended up in Northern Cali. Good memories!

Did you by chance buy that bike from a collector in South Dakota?

I had a 83 V45 Sabre, too. Loved that bike more than anything....until I sat on the V65. lol... It was a good thing I didn't find out about the power until I was 20.

I bought this one from a guy in Indianapolis. He collected the CB1100F's. His prize model had only 700 miles and was super sharp. I wish I would have taken my camera!

Sweet!

I used to ride a 1985 V65 Sabre.

I was looking for a V65 Sabre before I bought the XX.

Where the hell were your then?

Did you do the external oil line mod?

No. My 1984 V65 held up fine. I put a ton of miles on it before selling it (to buy the 94 1000F). I never did have problems with the cams and it sounded tight like a blower on a big block. I figure the problems people had may have been more to do with redlining the engine than a lack of oil. Of course, more oil never hurts, but I never exceed 9k.

Just curious about one detail- you mentioned that you have replacement clear sight glass windows for the master cylinders.

I've never seen those available separately anywhere- would you mind mentioning the source?

Thanks and good luck with the sale, it looks like a wonderful example!

Just curious about one detail- you mentioned that you have replacement clear sight glass windows for the master cylinders.

I've never seen those available separately anywhere- would you mind mentioning the source?

I bought them from Billy Carr out of Texas. Here's a link to the post in the V4 Forums. They're "high precision mineral glass".

I bought the carb screw replacements, too. Good Quality

Since you have a crowded garage, I will give you $200 for the XR650L.

Throw in another 28?

I bought them from Billy Carr out of Texas. Here's a link to the post in the V4 Forums. They're "high precision mineral glass".

I bought the carb screw replacements, too. Good Quality

Since you have a crowded garage, I will give you $200 for the XR650L.

Throw in another 28?

Ok $228