CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust Conundrum

silver86

I've had my '99 bird almost a year now, and love it. I just haven't been able to ride recently after moving to Atlanta from Florida (blood is still too thin until warmer temps arrive). The bike came with a single sided D&D exhaust, though I'm not sure if the header is a D&D unit or not. Everything is ceramic coated black, to match all of the powder coated items on the bike - love the look. But, the damn thing is just too loud. The bike is slightly modded with a PCII, and a 46T Supersprox (all other stuff is just cosmetic).

What I'm looking to do (and need advice on, since an engineering genius I am not), is to keep as much of the current system as I can, and swap out the D&D can. I found an old thread similar to this prior, but just have lost track of it. My thought is acquiring a single Two Brothers M5 VALE CF can, and having it modified to fit the current setup, since the only M5 set offered for the XX is the dual slip-on. Of course, the cost of completing all of this is probably similair to just picking up one of the available single side sytems out there (like an Akra), except that I would still have to have it coated to match the current look.

What say you...?

T.I.A.

post-55397-1293035256.jpg post-55397-1293035382.jpg post-55397-1293035384.jpg

Repack the D&D. I did it with D&D dual carbon cans and got about a 35% reduction in noise and a better sound. Use Silent Sport Premium packing, not your average packing. Check it out.

Repack the D&D. I did it with D&D dual carbon cans and got about a 35% reduction in noise and a better sound. Use Silent Sport Premium packing, not your average packing. Check it out.

I'll check into it. The 450 gram size package adequate for one can?

Hmmm no frame plug's :icon_whistle:

Well, none "installed" yet anyway. I haven't found all my stuff from the move yet.

Thanks for the compliment. The can probably hasn't been re-packed...well, ever. So I may be more taken with the sound after some freshening up.

I'll check into it. The 450 gram size package adequate for one can?

Yah, vun should do it. (follow the instructions even though you don't want to).

I will add something, Aluminum tape. Like for duct work. Around the packing. Makes it easier to go in the housing, and helps to kill the noise too. And You can get more packing around it, by compressing it.

I will add something, Aluminum tape. Like for duct work. Around the packing. Makes it easier to go in the housing, and helps to kill the noise too. And You can get more packing around it, by compressing it.

+1 on the tape,makes the reassembly much , much easier .

Latex,nitride or rubber gloves for fiberglass handling.

And You can get more packing around it, by compressing it.

That will make it louder. Loose is quiet, tight is loud.

Yeah, ok. your right. I am just to tired to think right. Thanks.

Humm, maybe that is why my zxxx is loud,,,wait it don't have packing,,,maybe I need to get some sleeep....ZZZZZZ

And You can get more packing around it, by compressing it.

That will make it louder. Loose is quiet, tight is loud.

For the optimum in Noise suppression, there is a happy medium, as far as packing the mufflers. Too hard or too soft and it'll be louder.

It's a general rule of thumb, Eric, nothing more.

I'm not suggesting that throwing a couple wisps of fiberglass in there will make it quieter than properly packing it, but cramming as much as you possibly can in there by tightly wrapping tape around it will definitely not have the desired effect.

Not too loose, not too tight....just right.

Wait, what were we talking bout? :icon_evilgrin:

Well, I spent the morning checking some vids of 'birds with the Akra full system. I gotta tell ya, I'm really diggin' that sound. Looks like a new system and re-tune might be in the near future.

I know back in the day two brothers offered a single exhaust. the left side collector had a plug to install and the right side became the exit. This was also an option on the CBR1000F. If it is a stock header they could have used the plug. Look down under the bike and see if there is a plugged left hand pipe.

Ear plugs are even cheaper.........

But not nearly as much fun....!

If the header is mild steel rusted, it's most likely D&D to match the can.

:icon_biggrin:

I was trying to be nice. :icon_razz:

:icon_biggrin: Actually looks to be in pretty fine shape. Not sure how long it's been mounted, but the bike has 25,000 miles.