CBR1100XX.org Forum

New rider with chain questions

ffphil

For the weight of the bike, you'd be getting an X-ring chain, and I'm partial to DID. IIRC 110 link is the standard length with stock sprockets.

You should change sprockets with a new chain. I'm not in a position to best judge WHERE to order from right now.

I'm sure others will weigh in.

Yes, the 530 chain is the one specified for the XX. There are O ring and X ring chains for these bikes. The X ring is supposed to have less friction. I use the DID 530 chain.

The web site was just off of a search, not the cheapest. I know Hobi has been doing some good deals.

Also, you should use a riveted chain in stead of one with a keeper style master link. This means you need to buy or borrow a riveting tool, but it will be a much stonger chain.

XX chain length is 110, but many chains are sold as 120's. Not a problem, a dremel tool will cut a chain in a hurry.

Many people are going two rear sprockets to one chain. Honda made the rear sprocket out of Urber metal, and it wears well. Always change the front sprockt with the chain.

I think there is a "how to" in theImportant Threads section on chain changeout. The big thing to remember is to loosen the bolt on the front sprocket BEFORE cutting off the old chain.

I've had great luck with the DID, and would buy another. But the last two I've purchased have been the EK ZZZ, and they are holding up very well on my Busa and 99 XX. One thing I liked about the EK was the spacers used when riveting the master link, making it impossible to over crimp.

While you have the wheel off, check the bearings. I had one that had a rough spot at 45,000 miles, so I just replaced them all.

D.I.D. 530 ZVM2, done. White Buffalo Racing used to be the place to go for these at a great price, but it's been awhile since I've been by their site.

For the weight of the bike, you'd be getting an X-ring chain

WTF does the weight of the bike have to do with getting an X-ring chain?

D.I.D. 530 ZVM2, done. White Buffalo Racing used to be the place to go for these at a great price, but it's been awhile since I've been by their site.

Sorry, I was thinking horsepower. Heavier bikes tend to have higher horsepower, but I should have used the right terminology.

One more vote for the EK ZZZ.

Note: If your the type that likes to do burnouts, choose the chain with the highest tinsel strength and always use the rivet master link and put the clip type master link in your tool pouch.

Sorry, I was thinking horsepower. Heavier bikes tend to have higher horsepower, but I should have used the right terminology.

Still FAIL. :icon_whistle:

Note: If your the type that likes to do burnouts, choose the chain with the highest tinsel strength and always use the rivet master link and put the clip type master link in your tool pouch.

Got Christmas on the brain?

I think you meant TENSILE strength. :icon_whistle:

Of course TINSEL strength would relate to the bling factor...which is important to some. :icon_lol:

Got Christmas on the brain?

I think you meant TENSILE strength. :icon_whistle:

Of course TINSEL strength would relate to the bling factor...which is important to some. :icon_lol:

Actually, TINSEL strength was well documented in "The Santa Clause" movie. Cut right through steel.

I have 3 DID ZVM2 110L left at $119 . blk.

That is a great deal to grab unless you have to have "Gold" like me !! :icon_biggrin:

This is actually the OEM chain that came on the Blackbird when new.

Did someone say "Gold"..............

post-145-1293134865.jpg

I have 3 DID ZVM2 110L left at $119 . blk.

That is a great deal to grab unless you have to have "Gold" like me !! :icon_biggrin:

This is actually the OEM chain that came on the Blackbird when new.

Did someone say "Gold"..............

more pics pls

Here's what I do when I need a chain:

1. Ride cycle to NEXXT with crappy chain on the bike (2008, I think)

2. Ask Hobie to supervise me and teach me to change the thing myself

3. Al (Toynut) gives me heavy rubber gloves, aluminum pan and a full can of Brakekleen to clean up parts that will go backl onto the bike

4. Hobie (Rich) pushes me out of the way and does the whole thing, allowing me to only clean up the wheel, and other parts.

5. I go on rides with the group, and notice that I no longer have the repetitive pull-and-slack of a worn out chain.

Wow, that was easy!

Way to go Rich and Al.

Thanks again guys!

Mike

PS - stick w DID X ring...and change the rear sprocket at least.