CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tips for getting the valve cover back on the motor...

Zero Knievel

This is one of those things where it's easier to get it off than to put it back on. Wonder children at Honda put the brake lines and a wiring harness in so just getting the cover in is a big enough pain, but between the radiator hose and the fan for the radiator, there's lots of stuff to rub against to pull the gasket off before you get anywhere close to putting it back on. That includes using that gasket sealing goop that tacks up the stuff so it will stick to the part while you get it into position.

I also wonder how much "stretch" the valve cover gasket can take before it has to be replaced. I can get the gasket to go back on and fit in the groove on the cover, but it did suffer a touch of stretching when it came off.

Short of taking off the fan and draining the radiator so I can pull out the hose for less stuff to rub against, I'm wondering if there are any useful tips for getting it to go on with the least amount of frustration.

Leave hoses on but unbolt radiator hangers and let it rest,it may or may hit front tire, I don`t remember.

You can always place piece of cardboard,etc to protect the front of the rad and the mud flap.

Try to fit cover without gasket just for the practice porpoises,IIRC there is just one certain way of doing that.You have to figure it out how to do it without hitting anything.

You do have airbox and throttle bodies removed,right?

When you are ready for the final assembly clean the groves in the valve cover with carb or brake cleaner,gasket itself needs to be cleaned too but with something milder like dishwasher.Don`t use anything that can Fubar the rubber.

Lay 1/8 inch wide stripe of high temp silicone or Hylomar ( unfortunately it is not easily available any more) on the sealing surface of the cover.Flip it upside down of course.Place the gasket in the grove nice and tight.If you are using silicone wait 15-20 minutes so it will get some grip.

Go from there.

Not all of that Hylomar is as good as the "old" one that was imported or made under the license by Permatex,many of them suck,very difficult to spread.

Good stuff. http://atkinsrotary.com/store/catalog/Hylomar-p-16862.html

Not so good from this guys,it pretty much sucked. http://www.mazdatrix.com/q-supply.htm

Leave hoses on but unbolt radiator hangers and let it rest,it may or may hit front tire, I don`t remember.

You can always place piece of cardboard,etc to protect the front of the rad and the mud flap.

That's about it.

Pried the wire harness more out of the way to help, but had to drop the oil cooler and radiator to have a clear way to work the cover back in.

Gotta buy a new gasket. The old one is stretched too much to go back on properly.

You can time my repair work with a calendar. :icon_redface: