CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear Shock @ 70K

Zero Knievel

Another site has a guy with 50K on a XX asking what needs to be done. Several are saying the rear shock is in need of rebuilding or replacement.

What say ye? What options would you recommend? Keep in mind bike is not used for track days, so state-of-the-art hardware is not needed but if replace/rebuild is called for, quality is sought.

Another site has a guy with 50K on a XX asking what needs to be done. Several are saying the rear shock is in need of rebuilding or replacement.

What say ye? What options would you recommend? Keep in mind bike is not used for track days, so state-of-the-art hardware is not needed but if replace/rebuild is called for, quality is sought.

If the "other site" is .com, I need to go find that thread. Been awhile since I visited there, but last I saw the technical advice there ran the range from amusing to downright dangerous.

Oh, and if he wants advice from dot org, he can come fucking ask at dot org. ;)

If the "other site" is .com, I need to go find that thread. Been awhile since I visited there, but last I saw the technical advice there ran the range from amusing to downright dangerous.

Oh, and if he wants advice from dot org, he can come fucking ask at dot org. ;)

Well, (1) the guy was posting on ST.N. :icon_whistle:

(2) Since people say it should be done after 50K, I'm questioning about doing it myself since the bike is now torn down for winter maintenance. At 70K, does it need it?

My 2c, From everything I've read on various XX sites the stock shock is usually toast by 50 000km's so 70k miles it would be well due :icon_surprised: My OEM shock was knackered when I bought my 98XX from the original owner @~32 000km :icon_surprised: I replced it with a rebuilt/resprung 900RR shock and it has since done ~ 70 000km's, may look at getting it regassed and the valving altered sometime soon as she doesn't seem to handle as well as it used to :icon_think:

Deterioration of suspension components is gradual process,you don`t really feel them going bad unless,of course,the seal gets blown,ect.

Simple clean up of fork components followed by fresh,high quality oil produces amazingly good results.Same with shock.

Your shock at 70 k miles is a trashed.Pure and simple.

I have a used OEM shock with about 12k miles on it. $100 if you're interested.

I am seriously considering that. When I factor that once the XX hits 100K I'll be looking for a newer bike....only 30K till then.