CBR1100XX.org Forum

How does this sound to you?

Zero Knievel

Lately, my motor has sounded a little "pingy." I feel something's off, but can't really point to anything consistent. Certainly, once the bike warms up it's not that noticeable, but I can feel this rhythmic "ping" in the running of the motor.

Attached is a zipped WMV file of my bike starting up. About a minute in I move the recorder from the right side of the bike to just in front of the radiator. You'll know I'm moving the recorder by the change.

Any ideas if something sounds off? Bike is just under 70K.

motor.zip

The fact that it sounds better when it's warm makes me think it could be the valve clearances, but lets start with something simple.

When was the last time you put on a new CCT lifter? And while you have the fairing off, check the exhaust header nuts.

The fact that it sounds better when it's warm makes me think it could be the valve clearances, but lets start with something simple.

When was the last time you put on a new CCT lifter? And while you have the fairing off, check the exhaust header nuts.

CCT, are you talking about the cam chain tensioner that tends to wear out or something else? I can check the exhaust header nuts next winter when I break things down for maintenance, although it's my personal experience those never work loose unless you've fiddled with the exhaust.

How big a job is it to check the valve clearances? I'm sure I'd have to take off the airbox (just as I would to replace the spark plugs...which might be due for a replacement this winter as a preventative measure).

there a dog in your engine please let it out. :icon_rolleyes:

no it's the CCT, when you turn the revs up to 3500/4500 RPM you can hear the noise at maximum.

Replace it.

Look for the green dots on the CCT. one dot is the old version 2 dots the new one.

CCT, are you talking about the cam chain tensioner that tends to wear out or something else? I can check the exhaust header nuts next winter when I break things down for maintenance, although it's my personal experience those never work loose unless you've fiddled with the exhaust.

How big a job is it to check the valve clearances? I'm sure I'd have to take off the airbox (just as I would to replace the spark plugs...which might be due for a replacement this winter as a preventative measure).

Yes, cam chain tensioner.

Checking the valve clearances is much more work. Air-box, plug wires, and valve cover all need to come off. Not sure if it's required, but I would also loosen the radiator to give more access to remove the valve cover. Remove the front fender first so it doesn't get scratched. Check all clearances per the book (keep a written record), and if any are way out, you'll have to pull the cams and put in new shims. I've got some extra shims, if you need to swap any.

there a dog in your engine please let it out. :icon_rolleyes:

no it's the CCT, when you turn the revs up to 3500/4500 RPM you can hear the noise at maximum.

Replace it.

Look for the green dots on the CCT. one dot is the old version 2 dots the new one.

Mine has one green dot.

Do I need the old version or with either do the job?

Where's the best place to order one?

If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll slate a valve check for the winter maintenance cycle.

If you don't buy a CCT from John, we will have somebody come and convince you it would have been a good decision.

John's Bike Bits

Done and done. Hopefully it'll get here before Saturday so I can put it in. He sells the double-green dot one (MAT-325). Mine is the MAT-315, but it appears the 325 supersedes my part number.

When changing the CCT.

Remove the old one, ( Two allen head bolt).

Clean up the old gasket and install the new one.

Install the new CCT, torque the bolts to spec.

THEN REMOVE THE TAB in the end of the CCT!!!!!!!!!

If you remove the tab early, the CCT will go to maximum travel. You can use a small screwdriver and retract it. But it's easier to leave the tab in until installed.

You can then move the bolt that covers the tab hole over from the old CCT if you want.

15 minutes for a blind old man like me.