CBR1100XX.org Forum

Changed my own tires for the first time....

spicholy

I put on a new set of Pilot Road 2CTs yesterday. No pinched fingers, no damage to wheels, and only took three hours for both tires from removal to re-installation.

For a bead breaker, I used a 1" square by 36" long piece of perforated steel. Mounted to a 4x4 post in the carport. Used two metal plates dropped off the arm with two "L" brackets forming feet at the end. Worked like charm with very little effort needed to break the beads.

For rim protectors, I cut up pieces of a 5 gallon No.1 water bottle. Worked well also.

I had forgotten how easily the bike lays into corners with a fresh set of tires! Plus the ride seems a little softer too.

post-2748-1277673331.jpg

post-2748-1277673389.jpg

.............less than an hour if you get/make yourself a solidly mounted changing station.

That's the key!

I have a Harbor Freight tire changer and once you get it solid mounted, even that cheap piece of junk works well.

How did you balance them?

Jack stands with an axle rod and bearings. My only concern is the amount of weight needed on the rear tire. I took it out for a run and it is smooth. If I get any weird vibes I may take it in and have the dealer balance it. I think it took about 35 grams.

Welcome to the club. You can cut that time down to less than an hour if you get/make yourself a solidly mounted changing station.

109971925.jpg

What diameter wheel are you using for a base? The time will definitely get shorter with experience! I started with the rear and that took some time getting the last section of bead over the lip. The front went on almost effortlessly by comparison.

The video by Scudman on youtube helped a lot.

That's awesome....I wish I could do my own tire changes. They charge $70-$90 to do the change out if I bring the tires and rims in.

3 or 4 tire changes....and I just bought myself the basic nomar changer.

Good for you man....

Good for you.

I bought the Harbor Freight changer with bike mount a few years ago. The first change was a little tough. But they got easier every time.

I have now changed trailer, truck, bike, and tractor tires on it. Having a MOJO lever helps.

It sure is nice to change my bike tires on MY timetable, not some shops.

I have a No-Mar tire changer. I like it, but I'm not sure it's much easier than any of the other options out there.

I really have no where to put a tire changing stand, so for now, it will be cardboard on the ground with 2x4's for support and a couple of spoons with soapy water. Some day I will have a garage to make a dedicated stand.

This is mine. I put it in a corner of my garage and when I need to use it, I install it to the receiver hitch. This is a Nomar classic and I ordered it with the receiver hitch mount, instead of the floor mount.

That 2 X 4 underneath come with the kit? :icon_whistle:

I'm planning on making a tire changer this summer. I don't have the room (or the need) to have it set up permanently so I'm going to install some threaded anchors in the floor so I can bolt it down securely when needed.

post-2748-1277673331.jpg

post-2748-1277673389.jpg

You're such a boyscout Brian! :icon_twisted:

Why yes I am! Now get up here so I can practice my knot tying skills. :icon_evilgrin:

You're such a boyscout Brian! :icon_twisted:

Why yes I am! Now get up here so I can practice my knot tying skills. :icon_evilgrin:

Now there's an offer a fella can't refuse :icon_evilgrin:

Sherilyn-Fenn.jpg-4107.jpg

I'll bring the bike, & you can change my tires while you're at it :icon_biggrin:

This is mine. I put it in a corner of my garage and when I need to use it, I install it to the receiver hitch. This is a Nomar classic and I ordered it with the receiver hitch mount, instead of the floor mount.

That 2 X 4 underneath come with the kit? :icon_whistle:

No, that was optional. Precut to the correct length, for another $100 extra... :icon_angel: