CBR1100XX.org Forum

5000-7000rpm problem

Kalchoxx

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum. Currently riding XX '97.

When I ride my XX just above 5000rpm, I always facing 'the hole' in power up to 7000rpm???

I don't think that should happened. I've done dyno jet, K&N filter, slip on scorpions, new plags...

Please could anyone advice me what that can be?

Many thanks

Kalcho

A good jetting, full pipe, and tune will smooth out the hole pretty well. Beyond that, you're stuck with it. You can regear if the hole is right in the middle of the way you ride. I'm not sure if anyone has experimented with an FI header on a carbed bike to see if that smooths it out some. Perhaps if they have, they'll speak up.

There's no compelling evidence that a K&N flows more optimally than the stock filter. Even so, you have to have the exhaust capable of flowing enough air to let the air filter work. Jetting with the stock pipes just richens the mixture....you're getting more fuel per the amount of air the engine uses. That makes it marginally faster at those rpm and conditions where the engine was a little lean. Also, the over-rich condition smooths out the power delivery by decreasing power, and therefore power variances, in those flat-spotted areas of the dyno curve. Plus you get the soot on the mufflers, smoke from the tailpipe, and backfires when you close the throttle abruptly, all of which impress the ladies no end.

Mind you, this is just my personal opinion....hopefully someone smarter than me will show up real soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if anyone has experimented with an FI header on a carbed bike to see if that smooths it out some. Perhaps if they have, they'll speak up.

I believe that Banshee from OzBB (and here) had FI headers with slipon's and a K&N :icon_think:

Like Joe and Stan said it sounds like you are too rich at that rpm range. Remember lean is mean...

As for the K-N filter I have one on my 97 but I also have a full Hindle 4-2-1 exhaust and Yoshamira can so the motor can breathe better.

I also have a Factory Pro Jet kit set up for 800' above sea level which for where I livbe is a little on the rich side but it runs soo damn good I don't want to mess with it. I may try to drop the needs a click or two one of these days. :icon_whistle:

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

All carb-blackbirds have this problem .

With a Ignition advancer ex from Factory Pro it becomes a little better but you cant totaly fix it .

On 95-octan you can adjuste the ignition to be 4 dgs earlier .

Martin

K&N filters need to be cleaned. If it is not clean start there. Pull a plug and see it it's white, tan, or black. Light tan is what you want.

Do a good hard run. What color is the exhaust? If it is black you are running rich.

Try running 10% Ethanol. If you are running rich that should lean out the mix and it should run better.

When you go full throttle do you have the same problem? Full throttle you are on the main jets so you can get an idea if those are too big. Mains are not adjustable so if they are too big you need new ones.

People tend to think more is better so when they re-jet they add too much fuel. You may want to see what you have or just get a Stage 1 kit.

If the bike runs good at full throttle but rich at part throttle you can change the clip position on the needles.

Other than that, you need a good tuner with a dyno and an exhaust gas analyzer.