CBR1100XX.org Forum

chain and sproket help

nybryan

Ok, I have been riding for twenty- five years and i think my last chain on a bike was back in 1990. I notice a bit of a light throttle hiccup and when i inspected the chain found some tight links. I assume its the stock chain and sprokets as my bike is a 02 with 15.5 thousand miles on it. I assume the chain is at the end of its life do to time and miles. In the past i would never buy a chain without changing the sprokets so i guess thats what im going to do. Is it worth cleaning and such to try to get it all loose, I suspect not. Is my mileage about right for this bikes power and weight for the chain or is more the victam of non use.

Know my question. What chain and sprokets do i want. I want steel as i don't want them to be eaten up fast. Stock gearing is fine maybe the euro gearing would work.

What do i need to get where do i get it who has the best prices and value.

thanks for your help

Ok, I have been riding for twenty- five years and i think my last chain on a bike was back in 1990. I notice a bit of a light throttle hiccup and when i inspected the chain found some tight links. I assume its the stock chain and sprokets as my bike is a 02 with 15.5 thousand miles on it. I assume the chain is at the end of its life do to time and miles. In the past i would never buy a chain without changing the sprokets so i guess thats what im going to do. Is it worth cleaning and such to try to get it all loose, I suspect not. Is my mileage about right for this bikes power and weight for the chain or is more the victam of non use.

Know my question. What chain and sprokets do i want. I want steel as i don't want them to be eaten up fast. Stock gearing is fine maybe the euro gearing would work.

What do i need to get where do i get it who has the best prices and value.

thanks for your help

15k miles is about right.

Stock rear sprockets last forever. Really.

Stock front sprocket (17t) is probably due, but you could probably get by for a while without changing it. Look for Sunstar, JT or AFAM if you want aftermarket. OEM front sprockets are EXPENSIVE, but have a rubber damper on it which is supposed to help with chain noise. You won't notice it if it's not there. I can get you a Sunstar 17t for between $25-$35.

Chain: DID ZVM2, 110 links. Most places you can buy the chain it will come in 120 links, and you'll have to cut it down to 110.

DID ZVM2 chains have recently gone up in price. I can call tomorrow and see what kind of price I can get for you, but expect to pay between 145-155 for the chain.

I will call tomorrow and get you real prices, if you're interested.

As for a "how to"

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53782

Stock front sprocket (17t) is probably due, but you could probably get by for a while without changing it. Look for Sunstar, JT or AFAM if you want aftermarket. OEM front sprockets are EXPENSIVE, but have a rubber damper on it which is supposed to help with chain noise. You won't notice it if it's not there. I can get you a Sunstar 17t for between $25-$35.

Chain: DID ZVM2, 110 links. Most places you can buy the chain it will come in 120 links, and you'll have to cut it down to 110.

DID ZVM2 chains have recently gone up in price. I can call tomorrow and see what kind of price I can get for you, but expect to pay between 145-155 for the chain.

I remember being told that if i put a new chain on a worn sprocket it will just wear everything out. The rear sproket shows no bad signs of wear but i am nervous about leaving it on. I assume a rear sproket is fifty bucks ish.

Is there a difference between the rk and the did. I assume your are giving me the x ring version . Thanks for you help on the particulars

OEM front sprockets are EXPENSIVE, but have a rubber damper on it which is supposed to help with chain noise. You won't notice it if it's not there.

Not trying to start anything here, but I disagree with the above statement.

I notice it.... and HATE IT !

Now I have this constant Metal Singing noise.... drive me nuts.

It drives me Nuts with thinking I should just buy the stock unit, and throw away the Money I spent on the aftermarket one.... but then again I have a problem with that too..... throwing away a useful part that I paid for just because I think it's a inferior nuisance....

I remember being told that if i put a new chain on a worn sprocket it will just wear everything out. The rear sproket shows no bad signs of wear but i am nervous about leaving it on. I assume a rear sproket is fifty bucks ish.

Is there a difference between the rk and the did. I assume your are giving me the x ring version . Thanks for you help on the particulars

RE: Rear Sprocket.. That's your call, but I have easily seen 50k miles + on OEM rear spockets (I switched to a Vortex at 50k miles, it's not wearing either) without seeing any adverse effects on chain wear. Your mileage may vary.

Not really huge difference, the key is to make sure you get the one that's rated for the awesome power of the XX. I haven't looked at pricing for the RK.

Not trying to start anything here, but I disagree with the above statement.

I notice it.... and HATE IT !

Now I have this constant Metal Singing noise.... drive me nuts.

Do you ride with ear plugs? Because even without, I don't hear any difference over 25mph due to wind noise, and I don't notice any additional vibration/etc either.

I hear that singing sound as well. Its a song about any number of teeth I want for 1/3 the cost of the Honda unit. :icon_biggrin:

my bike is a 02 with 15.5 thousand miles on it.

That sprocket is good for 2 more chains.

Its true that if you put a new chain against a worn sprocket, it will wear faster. However.......shoot a picture and show us where your sprocket is worn.

Don't know what kind of steel they put in those sprockets, but they just seem to last and last and last.

just over 26k miles on my stock DID chain and sprockets. I clean it often with a soft bristle brush and Kerosene and keep it lubed with chain wax. (been using Duponts here for the past yr. I will replace it when I get back from WV. Rear sprocket looks like new and front shows little sign of wear.

Buddy of mine got over 40k miles on his last chain and sprockets on his superhawk. I asked what his secret was and he just said gear oil. Never cleaned his chain and just added a small amount of gear oil to his chain every 400 or 500 miles.

The only way, IMHO, to know if the sprocket is good is to look at it and see if it shows wear. If it does, you are only shortening the life of the chain by leaving it on there. It may not be much, but it will shorten it's life.

I bit the bullet and replaced my set with AFAM with 3 more teeth on the back to get better low end (not a fan of over 170 anymore, don't know why) and more useable power. AFAM front sprocket has no rubber, was actually barely moveable on the shaft after torquing the bolt. It has a noise. Ended up with ~11% change in speedo with much more responsive street driving. Bought a speedo healer and plugged it into my harness, solved the speedo problem. The bike is much more responsive in town and gets to redline in a hurry.

YMMV

BTW, I regularly did and do clean my chain about 500 miles or so with kerosene (we all have our addictions) and lube with synthetic gear oil when it starts looking a little dry. ~25K on my last one after developing a stiff section on my DID chain.

just over 26k miles on my stock DID chain and sprockets. I clean it often with a soft bristle brush and Kerosene and keep it lubed with chain wax. (been using Duponts here for the past yr. I will replace it when I get back from WV. Rear sprocket looks like new and front shows little sign of wear.

Buddy of mine got over 40k miles on his last chain and sprockets on his superhawk. I asked what his secret was and he just said gear oil. Never cleaned his chain and just added a small amount of gear oil to his chain every 400 or 500 miles.

He never had to clean his chain because all of the dirt just slings off with the gear oil. :icon_rolleyes:

ok where to buy for the best price in the US of A. Man this chain and sproket things is confusing do i buy a kit do i not does it matter what sproket i get as long as its steel

FYI: White Buffalo Racing carries the DID chain in the correct length, so no cutting required.

ok where to buy for the best price in the US of A. Man this chain and sproket things is confusing do i buy a kit do i not does it matter what sproket i get as long as its steel

FYI: White Buffalo Racing carries the DID chain in the correct length, so no cutting required.

White Buffalo's web site appears to be down. Has been for a little while. Not sure what's up.

White Buffalo's web site appears to be down. Has been for a little while. Not sure what's up.

Thanks for the info, Hobi. I haven't checked there in a long time.

Don't know what kind of steel they put in those sprockets, but they just seem to last and last and last.

Chromoly steel.So does Afam.Sunstar is the oem supplier.To just about everything built in Japan.