CBR1100XX.org Forum

spark plug replacement time

BarryG

I'm at 24,400 on my '98. Got my new plugs but not installed. Is it crucial to do this right on sched? I plan to do it soon but still riding the bike. Rides great still. Just wondering if this is a must do or can vary a 1K's miles or so.

Thanks.

Ah, a '98- you did get eight plugs, right? :icon_whistle:

It's not at all critical to do them "on time". As long as the bike is running okay don't sweat an extra few thousand miles.

Ah, a '98- you did get eight plugs, right? :icon_whistle:

It's not at all critical to do them "on time". As long as the bike is running okay don't sweat an extra few thousand miles.

I bought 23 plugs, which is what the '98 requires.

The 23 plug version was the '94 model.

'94 was the Euro release. It was a mid-year '95 model in North America (they also eliminated four of the eight muffler bearings and added an extra kilofarad to the flux capacitor before bringing it over- bit of obscure moto trivia for you there :icon_wink: )

OK, as long as we are on the trivia stuff, don't forget when they went to the fuel injection in 99, they also put in an extra can of kilo-watts for extra power for the injectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Barry,

I don't think that plugs can read your odometer. Mine just turned 30 thou on Sat and I am the only one that noticed.

I will probably check them in the next month are just to see what they look like and check the gap.

• 1 year later...

Hell I am just now considering changing my plugs and I have over 60k on the clock. I know the plugs have at least 40k on them cause I have never changed them since I have owned the bike. :icon_redface:

Figured it was time to put in some new ones.

Any advice on which brand is best to use. I ordered a set of Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport plugs from my local part store. I know NGK is what the factory uses but these were able to be purchased in a set of 4 and not 10. :icon_shifty:

Be damned sure they are right. I've ordered Autolites before to replace fouled plugs when they were the quickest thing available, only to find that its not really the correct plug. Thread and reach are the same, but the sealing shoulder is not.

Advance Auto parts gets me NGK in any quantity.

my stock NGK's lasted me 8k miles.. no shit.. the itty bit electrode thinger mobob was damn near gone. I noticed some slow starting and funky riding. Checked plugs and for whatever reason they were burned damn near out. Replaced them with more irridium plugs.. they got 22- 24k or so on them now and checked them a few miles ago and all is well and look perfect..

tool pouch rubberband thingy good as new also... :icon_biggrin:

Thanks Joe I will check them before I do anything. The cross reference says they are correct but who knows. :icon_think:

I will find out this weekend as I plan to do my service then.

Other then thinking it it time to change them there ate no signs of need to be changed. Starts fine runs good my mileage is off a bit but that could just be all the short trips to work. I am going to have look at the carbs also and will sync them as well that may help a bit.

Going to service the front forks also cause it feels like a pogo stick in the turns.

It's either that or I just feel in love with the handling of my F4 :icon_twisted:

my stock NGK's lasted me 8k miles.. no shit.. the itty bit electrode thinger mobob was damn near gone. I noticed some slow starting and funky riding. Checked plugs and for whatever reason they were burned damn near out. Replaced them with more irridium plugs.. they got 22- 24k or so on them now and checked them a few miles ago and all is well and look perfect..

Same here. I bought another 2002 last Spring with about 8200 miles on it and just changed the original plugs last week. At 13,000 miles the electrodes were extremely thin and burnt. The new NGK iridiums, from Advanced Auto, really improved the throttle response and added at least 1000 hp per my seat-o-pants dyno.

Change em guys.

Same here. I bought another 2002 last Spring with about 8200 miles on it and just changed the original plugs last week. At 13,000 miles the electrodes were extremely thin and burnt. The new NGK iridiums, from Advanced Auto, really improved the throttle response and added at least 1000 hp per my seat-o-pants dyno.

Change em guys.

Most important thing with the iridium plugs is that you do not gap them.. they are pre gapped. On an 02, they will last ~30k miles. Manual says change them every 32k

Edit: IF you try to gap them and damage the electrode, they eat themselves very quickly.

My NGK plugs had over 40k on them and they still looked ok .

You could see they were worn but not at all in bad shape.

Replace them with Autolite plugs . We will see how they last.

I just bought new plugs for my XX not more than a half hour ago. There was some confusion at the parts counter at my favorite local independant though.

My Haynes manual indicates that my 2000 XX calls for a currently discontinued plug; CR9EHVX-9. George, the parts counter guy looked it up in his NGK book which indicated a supercede on my d/c'd plug to a plain Jane non-platinum version, the CR9EH-9 which he had on hand and that go for ~$17 a pop.

He said the plain Jane was a regularly stocked plug as all the f4's and other similar 600's use them. The NGK book also indicated the "premium" plug option for my bike was the Iridium tipped plug that my Haynes indicates is called for by XX 2001 and onwards. Parts counter George then said, "Hmmm, that's weird, the Iridium ones are the same price as the plain Jane's?" ... so I got him to order me the Iridium ones at ~$17 a pop. They'll be here early next week.

So the advantage as far as I can tell of switching to Iridiums is a longer service interval, right?

I just bought new plugs for my XX not more than a half hour ago. There was some confusion at the parts counter at my favorite local independant though.

My Haynes manual indicates that my 2000 XX calls for a currently discontinued plug; CR9EHVX-9. George, the parts counter guy looked it up in his NGK book which indicated a supercede on my d/c'd plug to a plain Jane non-platinum version, the CR9EH-9 which he had on hand and that go for ~$17 a pop.

He said the plain Jane was a regularly stocked plug as all the f4's and other similar 600's use them. The NGK book also indicated the "premium" plug option for my bike was the Iridium tipped plug that my Haynes indicates is called for by XX 2001 and onwards. Parts counter George then said, "Hmmm, that's weird, the Iridium ones are the same price as the plain Jane's?" ... so I got him to order me the Iridium ones at ~$17 a pop. They'll be here early next week.

So the advantage as far as I can tell of switching to Iridiums is a longer service interval, right?

Yes the iridium helps them last longer .

I paid about $8 each for my Autolites at my local Napa auto parts store. IIRC

They look slightly different as Joe stated but they work just nicely!!!!

The CR9EH-9 is what I had in mine. The look just like any ole plug. Mine had at least 40k on them and didn't look bad. I saved them as spares.

The Autolite are Extreme Sports plugs ( I don't remember the # off the top of my head.

The Iridium NGK plugs are the way to go...

Part number NGK 6216

They can be bought from Rock Auto for $6.40 each. +shipping

here...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

select the part number search tab, then type in the part number and select NGK, done.

Iridium plugs were designed to last to 100K miles, unlike the Platinum plugs that were only designed to last for 30-40K miles. So... how long will the Iridiums last in the bird??? Good question! Just 30K?

Others, like Rich, have made excellent points as well.

Thanks for the additional info.

I'll give these iridiums a shot .... I like my local shop a lot, it's a place I know the owner by name from going on groups rides with him, but it's hard knowing they charge at least a 300% mark up on such things.

$7 plugs via interweb vs $17 plugs from local shop .... At least I won't have to think about this for 30k+ ...

Correction...

I did a bunch of searching to see if I could find some better data to back up the service life of particular plug. Although I never did find a "test report", I found page after page of "our plug should last..." or "they are designed to last...", etc.etc. So in a way this is what I found...

Standard Plug service life....... 15K to 30K miles.

Platinum Plug service life ....... 30K to 60K miles. ( single platinum 30, double platinum 60)

Iridium Plug service life ......... 60K to 100+K miles.

I think you can see the pattern I see.... each step up supposedly doubles the service life of the plug.

Now as a bit of personal experience, I replaced the Iridium plugs in my wife's car at 101,000 miles, and they still looked good. Good enough that had I not already had the new plugs in hand, I might not have replaced them. Just from looking at them and knowing they went 100K, I would guess they could have gone for 150K +.

Cylinder pressures play huge role in plug wear . Higher pressure --> more energy needed for the spark to jump --> accelerated electrode wear .

Low CR NA engines are very easy on plugs but high compression or boosted ones eat plugs much quicker . Driving style plays huge role also .

If you putz around at 5-10 % of the throttle plugs last very long time , but frequent WOT operation will shorten their life drastically .

Iridium NGKs on my xx last about 30 k miles but essentially the same NGK plug on my track only r1 with 14.0 CR is a toast after about 2 k miles .

YMMV .