CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another Spray Paint Question...

DaveK

Can I wet/dry (very fine - 600) sand between every layer?

The flyscreen is going to get a prep coat, base coat, color coat, and poly coat.

Should I/Can I fine sand every coat after it is VERY dry other than the last poly coat?

Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks

Sand the primer with very fine steel wool to remove and orange peel or lint. Then lay down several color coats. Rub with even finer steel wool or wet sand with 1500. The lay down a clear coat or two. Wet sand with 1500+ and them buff.

The contours of the shield will probable be easier to sand with steel wool. Stay away from the edges and use a tack cloth to "clean up" before re-spraying.

OK Jeff....just so I am clear.

Spray the color....let dry fully. Spray the color again....let fully dry.

Sand with steel wool and clean. Don't spray color again?

Then spray a light coat of clear....let fully dry. Spray last light coat of clear and steel wool again with fine steel. Do I need water with steel wool?

Wipe clean and throw on a coat or 2 of Honda Polish? Is Honda Polish what you mean when you say buff?

Thanks

Then spray a light coat of clear....let fully dry. Spray last light coat of clear and steel wool again with fine steel. Do I need water with steel wool?

Wipe clean and throw on a coat or 2 of Honda Polish? Is Honda Polish what you mean when you say buff?

Thanks

watch spray can paint drys slowwwwwwwwwwwww so i would give it at least 3 days before wet sanding i just did a under tail i let dry for a week

Thanks

watch spray can paint drys slowwwwwwwwwwwww so i would give it at least 3 days before wet sanding i just did a under tail i let dry for a week

Thanks man.....I left it to dry all week in the house.

It depends on the paint but in the most of the cases 1500 is overkill and actually wrong.Idea is to create good mechanical bound,500-800 is all what you need before spraying clear or color.

Finer is not better in this case,it is gonna take lots of sanding to remove orange peel with 1500 and it will compromise the bite of clear coat on base coat or base coat on primer,in other words in couple of months or years clear/base may start peeling off.Just go with 800 if unsure about quality of clear coat.( Good clear coat will easily fill scratches created by sanding with 500).

If base ( color) coat is metallic or pearl sanding it absolutely,positively wrong idea as it destroys metallic/pearl powder in the base coat.Sanded areas will look like shit after clear coating.

Sanding solid (non metallic/pearl) base coat is O.K. if things got fucked up,other then that it is unnecessary.

-60 F deg is what I consider minimum

-Sand primer with 500-800 and wash the part with water and soap.Let it dry,preferably overnight, otherwise Murphy`s Law will make sure there will be some water left

-wipe it with final clean,lacquer thinner is fine

-spray 3-4 coats of color allowing proper flesh time between coats.Typically if paint starts to look dull it is a time for another coat,but it depends on the paint.

-typically after another 30-60 minutes you can start laying down clear coat,2-4 coats in the most of the cases.

-allow dry time between coats of clear coat,typically about 10 minutes,touch test is good indicator,paint should be sticky and not string when touched,of course you have to find proper area to do this test

- what you`ll do next depends on the final outcome ( dirt and/or orange peel )

BTW,did not you get paint manual with your materials ?,not all the paint is the same.

No instructions....unfortunately.

It is heavy metallic paint. I put down 2 coats of base. Used the steel wool but even after 10 or so minutes of sanding with it...nothing was happening.

So, no sanding of ANY kind on the color? 2 coats of color.....correct?

Let dry....then 2 coats of clear with no sanding?

It is heavy metallic paint. I put down 2 coats of base. Used the steel wool but even after 10 or so minutes of sanding with it...nothing was happening.

So, no sanding of ANY kind on the color? 2 coats of color.....correct? Yes,you don`t want to sand metallic base,it would change how the paint looks,you wanna get good,even coverage,2-4 coats,it depends

Let dry....then 2 coats of clear with no sanding? usually base coats are meant to be clearcoated 30-60 minutes after the last coat of base ( color)

It that colorite paint ?

So, no sanding of ANY kind on the color? 2 coats of color.....correct? Yes,you don`t want to sand metallic base,it would change how the paint looks,you wanna get good,even coverage,2-4 coats,it depends

Let dry....then 2 coats of clear with no sanding? usually base coats are meant to be clearcoated 30-60 minutes after the last coat of base ( color)

It that colorite paint ?

Yes, but I ordered the can of paint and had a local guy put it in a can. No directions.

I appreciate the direction...big time.

THX