CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can I play?

Redbird

Never came in here often, but my weight has recently become something I've decided to do something about, so I'm joining up.

History- been right around 220lbs every time I weighed myself for a very long time, with one spike to up around 230 in the summer of '08. I saw some vacation pics and dropped the 10lbs without too much effort. Fast forward to last fall- I started martial arts with my kids, going three times a week. Great workout, flexibilty, ect. I weighed myself about six weeks in just for the hell of it, figured I must have dropped a few pounds (I didn't even own a scale at the time, I was at my brother's house). 230lbs. Well, fuck. Decide I'm not going to sweat it too much, I'm exercising regularly, it is what it is.

Fast forward again to about three weeks ago, I decide to quit smoking (that's still a work in progress, shuddup) and shoot up to a peak of 237lbs. An honest look in the mirror tells me I've got way too much around the middle, and the rest is in pretty poor shape. I should be 215 max given my current muscle mass, probably more like 205-210. My transition from actual, working roofer to being pretty much a salesman and paper pusher over the last two years has had an effect. Even if my weight were the same, the muscle is disappearing.

So, about a week ago I started an official, organized diet for the first time in my life. Bought a scale and everything. I also started hitting the weights again for the first time in a long time. The layer of dust on the bench down in the basement was embarrassing.

My goal isn't so much less weight as less fat. I don't care if I weigh 230lbs as long as 20 of it isn't in a fatty ring around my midsection.

The plan, going with a classic- move more, eat less. In addition to martial arts at least 3 times a week (usually 4 or 5 at this point), I'm hitting the weights Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Just a simple 45 minutes or so of upper body for now. My legs and core are getting as much as they can handle at martial arts.

So, 1-1.5 of cardio 3-5 times a week via martial arts, and three semi-intense sessions with the weights a week. I'm also just moving more, housework, playing with the dog...avoiding sitting around too much.

Diet is basic- 2700 calories a day max (trying establish a correct BMR is a motherfucker, mine is anywhere from 2200 to 4100 depending on the calculator I used, might need tweaking), 50 grams of fat max, 350 grams of carbs max, at least 130 grams of protein and 132 oz. of water minimum, minimal to no eating after 9:00. I've been horrible all my life about snacking late and even getting up in the middle of the night and eating.

Today is day six of the diet. I did't get around to weighing myself until Saturday, when I was at 230.6.

Weight this morning was 226.4. Tape measure says very little of that four pounds came off my middle. :icon_confused:

Plan/goal is a rather abstract "lose the love handles". I'll be tracking that more than my weight, but dropping the fat is first. If I gain healthier weight via exercise during the process, fine.

Critiques or input on the "program" welcome. I'm new to this shit. :icon_wink:

Congrats on starting! I'm starting again too.

I'm kinda approaching mine a little different. Mostly, I was getting REAL tired of my decade long ordeal of a less than happy stomach day after day. Even when trying to eat right, I had major symptoms of IBS and plain old sick tummy. Daily doses of Pepto and Imodium just to make it thru the day, etc. I caught a little whif of info about primal/paleo diet and exercise. I figured it had its merits so I thought I would give it a try.

One of the main points of the lifestyle is that grain, specifically wheat, is bad for you. They do a lot better explaining than I can, but I thought, I'd give it a try. After a week of my gut adjusting, every single symptom I have been suffering for over a decade has completely gone away. Long story short, I've been feeding my face with meats, butter, vegetables and fruits and my weight stabilized. No more wild fluctuations, no more dying of thirst (insulin spikes) and subsequent changes in weight.

I haven't started logging anything here, but I am getting ready to start counting my calories again. I've actually dropped 4 pounds to 224 without trying and with no real cravings. I get hungry, but it feels different... manageable.

Here is where I started getting info, ended up buying the primal blueprint book so I could get more info.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

http://freetheanimal.com/

What I am trying to adhere to right now is gleaned from Mark's daily apple. Tracking my food on fitday to see where I am in the carbs department. from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-...rate-continuum/

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

I simply can't do the low carb thing long term, so it's not the solution for me, but it's great to hear it's solving your digestive problems.

I've been between 250-350 carbs a day for the last week, and I'm down about 5 lbs., so I can't really agree with "150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain" or the more alarmist "300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!". Just cutting the calories and fat and probably more importantly changing when I eat is having pretty good results for me. I'm lucky in the fact that my previous habits were so horrid it wasn't very hard to improve on them.

Like I said, I'm new to this whole thing, but one thing I'm learning is "different strokes for different folks". What's working for me (thus far) may not work for someone else, and vice versa.

Good luck with your efforts, post your progress when you can.

I simply can't do the low carb thing long term, so it's not the solution for me, but it's great to hear it's solving your digestive problems.

I've been between 250-350 carbs a day for the last week, and I'm down about 5 lbs., so I can't really agree with "150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain" or the more alarmist "300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!". Just cutting the calories and fat and probably more importantly changing when I eat is having pretty good results for me. I'm lucky in the fact that my previous habits were so horrid it wasn't very hard to improve on them.

Like I said, I'm new to this whole thing, but one thing I'm learning is "different strokes for different folks". What's working for me (thus far) may not work for someone else, and vice versa.

Good luck with your efforts, post your progress when you can.

Congrats Tim. Sounds like you are on the right track. Moderating your carbs WILL help you with your goal of trimming down the middle. I can't do low carb either but I try to keep them in check. Otherwise Im a raging carbaholic. You should get a cloth tape measure if you don't have one and measure your waist. Then set a real number goal. Say to get back to a 34" waist or some such. It also helps to set short and long term goals.

I have weekly goals like trying to go up 5 lbs on my 3 main lifts (squat, deadlift, bench). Then I set longer term goals using events that are coming up as motivation. My long term goals are usually 12 month or so and can be a bit arbitrary. Like...since I'm a giant pussy one of my long term goals is to be able to get 305lbs on my 3 main lifts since thats 3 45lb plates on each side.

I digress. Do not neglect your legs. Im sure they get hammered in class but they are by far your largest muscle group and therefore have the largest fat burning potential. Slowly building them up via lifting heavy weights will help you in your martial arts classes and burn fat. Doing leg work is also supposed to make it easier for you to increase size in your upper body as well.

If you ever want to yap about it offline just yell.

Yeah, what he said. I think it boils down to what works for you. I really had great results with counting calories. What it boiled down to for me is that I was always starving and a general pain in the ass to be around. I think I can safely blame the insulin spikes. Find what works for you, stick with it for a while, see if you need to adjust later. I finally gave up on being a beach body (always had a spare tire) but I want to be happy and do things and fit in pants off the rack and not think of myself when I see fat people on the news. I think if your diet is feeding your body, you should feel good. This makes me feel good, it may not make you feel good.

Most important in my book is that I feel good about myself. I am no longer sick, and I feel a lot more energetic. i feel good. I am happy about that.

Still cheering you on, man.

Johnny

Yeah, it's not like I'm totally ignoring the carb thing- moderation, as stated. I've set a ceiling of 350/day and I'm usually below 300. I'll have no problem staying in that range indefinitely and the weight is currently coming off. I'm not spending my time hungry, I do seem to have more energy and even though results are not really visible yet I already feel better about my "self image" as gay as that sounds.

Brett, I hear you on the leg thing and you're right, but I don't have the weight or equipment to work my legs here. I also don't want to bulk up too much in that area as I've got an $800 set of custom tailored leathers that I don't want to have to replace. I've got a little room to move in the upper body, but the legs are already pretty snug. Not looking to get huge anywhere right now, just replacing muscle with fat. I'd be thrilled to be well conditioned 215-220. I've already got a tape measure and it and BFP will be my markers more than actual weight. Add inches in the arms and chest and take 'em off in the middle.

I might give you a call this afternoon and see about grabbing some recipes. Those shake things you were making down in TX were pretty good.

Thanks for your support, both of you.

Yeah, it's not like I'm totally ignoring the carb thing- moderation, as stated. I've set a ceiling of 350/day and I'm usually below 300. I'll have no problem staying in that range that indefinitely and the weight is currently coming off. I'm not spending my time hungry, I do seem to have more energy and even though results are not really visible yet I already feel better about my "self image" as gay as that sounds.

Brett, I hear you on the leg thing and you're right, but I don't have the weight or equipment to work my legs here. I also don't want to bulk up too much in that area as I've got an $800 set of custom tailored leathers that I don't want to have to replace. I've got a little room to move in the upper body, but the legs are already pretty snug. Not looking to get huge anywhere right now, just replacing muscle with fat. I'd be thrilled to be well conditioned 215-220. I've already got a tape measure and it and BFP will be my markers more than actual weight. Add inches in the arms and chest and take 'em off in the middle.

I might give you a call this afternoon and see about grabbing some recipes. Those shake things you were making down in TX were pretty good.

Thanks for your support, both of you.

I can't tell you how proud I'd be if I had to take my leather in for alterations because my legs got too fucking muscular to fit in them.

My standard shake:

1/2 - 3/4 cup cottage cheese

1/2 cut oats

1/2 cup frozen blueberries (Ive tried fresh one and like frozen better)

1 - 2 scoops chocolate protein powder

a couple of cubes of ice

You can also toss in a couple tablespoons of smooth pb if you need extra cals or just need more flavor.

The cottage cheese is nice and bland and has a way better protein to carb ratio than yogurt. I have the nutrition info on it around here somewhere.

You can still call me. :icon_twisted:

I just figured I'd share with the 3 or 4 other people that actually click on this section.

I can't tell you how proud I'd be if I had to take my leather in for alterations because my legs got too fucking muscular to fit in them.

I'm just not that into the "big" thing. Not that I'd mind putting on some muscle, but going all "Nik" will never be my goal.

You can still call me. :icon_twisted:

Well, it was nice talking to Christine for awhile.

Yes you can play....how's the smoking?

Meh...backslid a little, now I'm holding steady at about 2-3 per day. The weight thing was bugging the shit out of me, affected my mood which was already marginal from not smoking, made me want to smoke, it's a really fucked up little cycle. Taking control here is hopefully winning a battle there as well.

Main point (I tell myself) is I haven't given up on that, not even close. Usually by now I'd be "oh well, failed again, pass the lighter..."

Yes you can play....how's the smoking?

Meh...backslid a little, now I'm holding steady at about 2-3 per day. The weight thing was bugging the shit out of me, affected my mood which was already marginal from not smoking, made me want to smoke, it's a really fucked up little cycle. Taking control here is hopefully winning a battle there as well.

Main point (I tell myself) is I haven't given up on that, not even close. Usually by now I'd be "oh well, failed again, pass the lighter..."

Progress is progress my brutha. Stick with it and you will get there.

My standard shake:

1/2 cut oats

a couple of cubes of ice

You can also toss in a couple tablespoons of smooth pb if you need extra cals or just need more flavor.

The cottage cheese is nice and bland and has a way better protein to carb ratio than yogurt. I have the nutrition info on it around here somewhere.

I just figured I'd share with the 3 or 4 other people that actually click on this section.

Ooh, thanks!

Right click>Save>retitle "Richard Cranium’s standard shake">Print.

:icon_smile:

My standard shake:

1/2 cut oats

a couple of cubes of ice

Ooh, thanks!

Haha. Let me know if you like it. Some people are put off by the cottage cheese.

Found this in an old thread:

The shake is roughly:

410cal, 24g carb, 42g prot, 3g fiber, 18g fat, 7g s fat

For less (pretty much zero) fat just lose the PB.

I guess thats when I was putting pb in them on a regular basis. I generall don't any more.

OK I just pulled up my diet tracker from back when I was keeping track and found this:

Without the pb and with the oats:

323cal, 30.9g carb, 38.9g protein, 4g fiber, 6g fat, 2.5g sat fat

My standard shake:

1/2 cut oats

a couple of cubes of ice

Ooh, thanks!

Haha. Let me know if you like it. Some people are put off by the cottage cheese.

I have no problem with cottage cheese, except that I happen to be out of it at the moment. :icon_wink:

The shake is roughly:

I guess thats when I was putting pb in them on a regular basis. I generall don't any more.

OK I just pulled up my diet tracker from back when I was keeping track and found this:

Wow, way too many carbs for me. I'll tone down the oats, use low-fat cottage cheese and definitely no peanut butter.

I did pass it along as is to my son who is actively trying to add mass right now. He's built up his muscles a teensy bit lately from starting a gym routine and diet modification, but I haven't yet burst his little bubble that as a High School Senior stick figure, it's really not possible for him to build much mass for close to the next ten years. He can dream. :icon_twisted:

He liked the looks of the shake ingredients. :icon_biggrin:

My standard shake:

1/2 cut oats

a couple of cubes of ice

Ooh, thanks!

I have no problem with cottage cheese, except that I happen to be out of it at the moment. :icon_wink:

The shake is roughly:

Wow, way too many carbs for me. I'll tone down the oats, use low-fat cottage cheese and definitely no peanut butter.

I did pass it along as is to my son who is actively trying to add mass right now. He's built up his muscles a teensy bit lately from starting a gym routine and diet modification, but I haven't yet burst his little bubble that as a High School Senior stick figure, it's really not possible for him to build much mass for close to the next ten years. He can dream. :icon_twisted:

He liked the looks of the shake ingredients. :icon_biggrin:

Don't be afraid of carbs. If you are going to eat them first thing in the morning is the best time. If you want some texture/fiber and not many carbs throw in some milled flax seeds.

Also your son should be eating like a horse and lifting really heavy weights. Right now he is a testosterone factory. If he drinks a gallon of milk a day (google Mark Ripptoe Starting Strength) and lifts heavy weights he will blow up. His high metabolism should help keep him from getting fat but he should still be able to build muscle if he eats enough. When guys get to be my age their test levels go down and its harder to pack on the muscle.

Don't be afraid of carbs. If you are going to eat them first thing in the morning is the best time. If you want some texture/fiber and not many carbs throw in some milled flax seeds.

Also your son should be eating like a horse and lifting really heavy weights. Right now he is a testosterone factory. If he drinks a gallon of milk a day (google Mark Ripptoe Starting Strength) and lifts heavy weights he will blow up. His high metabolism should help keep him from getting fat but he should still be able to build muscle if he eats enough. When guys get to be my age their test levels go down and its harder to pack on the muscle.

He read this and went to work. His eyes did bug out a little over the gallon o'milk a day part.

Makingaproteinshake-resized.jpg

Hey Mikey, he liked it. :)

He says less PB and more blueberries and ice next time. Thanks!

Thanks, Wes, but you haven't seen me naked. Lately. :icon_whistle:

Seriously, I got lucky as far as genetics and weight, but at my age that luck has begun to run out. I've got respect for what you're doing, I can't imagine what it takes- you've stuck with it for a long time and had great results. Keep it up. :icon_thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report- I'm now down to 220. I'm going to stay with the same "program" until I hit 215. Based on weight lost, quick math tells me I've been roughly 2000 calories/day deficient since I started, I'll probably add 1000 calories/day once I hit 215, keep exercising and hope this shit melts off my middle sooner or later. Right now I'm only down an inch around my waist, needs to be more like three or four. Once at 215 I'll be paying more attention to my overall shape than my actual weight. Exercise, eat right and hopefully nature will do it's thing.

• 1 month later...

Wrap up-

A little over seven weeks in and I weighed 203.4 this morning, which makes for about 27lbs gone. 3.5" off my belly and 1" off my hips. In retrospect I was in much worse shape than I wanted to believe when I started.

The weightlifting aspect of this plan has kinda taken off for me and my focus is now shifting to making gains, healthy gains, in that direction. I've been pleased to see the weight coming off in recent weeks, but it's getting annoying watching my arms get smaller even as the weights I'm lifting go up. So now that the fat is mostly taken care of, I'm switching to losing horsepower again. Still not looking to get massive, going to aim for 220lbs or so without putting the fat back on. This will likely be a longer process.

This will help-

122960007.jpg

I picked up the bench for a ridiculous $75. The guy was asking $50, I actually gave him an extra $25 when I picked it up because I felt bad. It was literally brand new, not even scratched in places a weight bench is supposed to be scratched. Curl station, dip station, squat station, leg curls and leg extension (not currently installed)...it has the lower racking points so I'll worry less about failing (I know, still not as good as a cage). Only problem was me being an idiot and thinking I'd be using my existing standard weights with it. Ended up having to spend another $125 on two Olympic bars and 260lbs of plates. So I ended up spending more than planned, but still not a bad deal and after 7 weeks of regular lifting I'm confident it won't turn into a clothes rack anytime real soon. :icon_razz:

That's it, I'm out for now. Just a matter of sticking with things over the summer as work gets busy.

Congrats on reaching your goal and a nice weight bench! I'm afraid free weights would kill me with no workout partner, so the machine I got will be good for a while I'm sure. Good to see someone "graduate" from this section!! :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

• 9 months later...

Okay, it's been a year and this section is seeing bit of action lately, so I figured why not a long term update?

I managed to pretty much keep with the program over the summer. My one weak point was diet. Not that I ate like crap, matter of fact I kept it pretty healthy, but I found a structured diet hard to maintain during my peak season. This is when I learned first hand what I had heard over and over in my research- diet is key to making improvements.

So I spent the warmer months mostly maintaining and making small gains here and there. My weight bounced around between 200 and 210.

Enter colder weather and a new resolve to make improvements. One long term goal when I started was to bench my weight. Not all that lofty of a goal for even semi-serious lifter types, but being 6'3" with a 6'10" armspan, benching has always been a weak point. Add to that the fact that I hadn't touched a barbell in 15 years or so and my starting point was pretty pathetic.

Anyway, I had made a little progress toward this goal over the summer. In early November I buckled down and got to work, most with my eating and getting my body what it needed. Very little changed about how I was training. The difference I saw when I ate right was incredible. I had felt kinda stalled all summer, but in about six weeks I added 20lbs to my workout weight on the bench and in mid December benched my weight, twice. I was cautious enough approaching this goal that I overshot it somewhat, but I'm fine with that. I'm a pussy who's afraid of injuring myself.

I've made similar progress on my other lifts as well. Present schedule is a two day split- back, legs, and biceps on day one, chest, shoulders and triceps on day two. I lift every other day. Martial arts for cardio and some core work on off days. I don't really have a "program" for lifting. I go in knowing what body parts I'm going to be working and just do whatever I feel like that day, might be 5x5s, might be 4x8s, 3x12s, whatever. I've screwed around with pyramids (those are killer for me, good rut breaker, but time consuming). I've found I get better results if I mix up sets/reps and exercises a lot. I've got a "baseline" workout of which is basically 4x8s to go back to if I want to see how I'm progressing

So the new long term goal is to be working out with my weight on the bench, with similar improvements in all other areas. I'm currently sitting at 220lbs, though I need to drop 5-10 of that to be in the kinda shape I'd prefer. I put a bit of fat back on around the middle in the last couple months.

That's it for now. I'd post before and after pics, but I'm still not all that hot to look at and I don't feel like ending up as one of you asshole's avatar with my shirt off. I've learned not to give this group ammo. :icon_wink:

I feel good (:

Honestly, I'm often a bit sore from one workout or another, but it's a totally different kind of sore. For some reason little hard won fatigue from pushing myself a little feels a lot different than the stiff/sore/general malaise I was experiencing before I started this. I don't feel old anymore, if that makes sense.

The other big difference is the weight/fat that's gone. I didn't realize it at the time, but I could literally feel it hanging off me all useless and shit. It crept up slow enough that I never even noticed until it was gone, but it feels great now that it is.

I've got joint issues, hereditary and work related, that's improved greatly as well. I think the weight lifting has helped my joints as much as anything, though that has been a slow, careful process.

I think I've already I said it somewhere else here, but the biggest surprise was how bad I actually was once I started. I had been kidding myself for a long time that I was in okay shape. I'd tack qualifiers like "for my age" and such on there, but truth was I was pretty bad regardless of any excuses I gave myself. I think now, a year later, I'm probably in the kind of shape I had been kidding myself I was in before. But I obviously have excellent powers of self-deception, so who knows? :icon_razz:

Now I use old vacation pictures of myself as motivation. Gross.