CBR1100XX.org Forum

Good source of chain and sprocket?

Mikey

So, with the inlaws living in Texas for the winter, I think I'll get my stuff shipped to them and they can bring it back in the spring when they come. So I'm looking for a place that has decent chain, sprocket and shipping prices. I'm not worried about the turn around time since I really won't see it for a couple months anyway....

Hello? Hobi? Hewoooooow? :icon_eh:

I can get them for you through Cycle Farkles... What tooth sprocket you want? DID ZVM2 or something else?

I'll make a call tomorrow and get pricing.

I want decent as I am on the highway a far bit. What are you running?

Oh, I also need clutch plates please.

WTF did you do to your clutch plates????

18 t or 17 t sprocket?

DID ZVM2 is what I'll get pricing for. Do you have a chain tool?

White Buffalo Racing has had good pricing on DID. I'm not sure what Rich (Hobicus) is carrying but you might check with him on these items.

Got my chain, sprockets, and chainbreaker at white buffalo.

Check out my Garage Sale in the For Sale section. I have a clutch kit for sale and a partial kit.

Check out my Garage Sale in the For Sale section. I have a clutch kit for sale and a partial kit.

I've got a 97. Your stuff is for a 99 I think.

Hobi:

17 or 18? I dunno, which would you suggest for mostly highway?

I think I have a chain tool

As for as clutch plates, it's surging when excelerating (increase rpm, with no increase in speed) and I'm assuming it's my plates (or else I'm spinning my tire or my chain is so bad it's coming off)

White Buffalo Racing has had good pricing on DID. I'm not sure what Rich (Hobicus) is carrying but you might check with him on these items.

I'll go there next. I like to try to keep in the friend circle when I can afford it :)

I've got a 97. Your stuff is for a 99 I think.

Hobi:

17 or 18? I dunno, which would you suggest for mostly highway?

I think I have a chain tool

As for as clutch plates, it's surging when excelerating (increase rpm, with no increase in speed) and I'm assuming it's my plates (or else I'm spinning my tire or my chain is so bad it's coming off)

I'll go there next. I like to try to keep in the friend circle when I can afford it :)

:icon_iloveyou:

Clutch Kit from DP for a 97 XX I can get for about $125. It's pretty much all inclusive.

18 or 17 tooth JT sprocket for the XX will run you $23-$25

DID ZVM2 chain (Gold/Black) will run you about $135

My supplier is attending a dealer show in a couple weeks, and thinks that they could after getting new pricing at the show get me (and therefore you) a much better deal after they know what their new pricing will be. If you want to wait a little bit, I might be able to get you a better price in mid February.

Note I'm not making anything on the deal, so if you find it elsewhere, that's cool with me.

Not included is shipping to Canada. I'll bill you what I pay.

If I order tomorrow, I will have it on Monday and can ship then. Just let me know.

Clutch Kit from DP for a 97 XX I can get for about $125. It's pretty much all inclusive.

18 or 17 tooth JT sprocket for the XX will run you $23-$25

DID ZVM2 chain (Gold/Black) will run you about $135

My supplier is attending a dealer show in a couple weeks, and thinks that they could after getting new pricing at the show get me (and therefore you) a much better deal after they know what their new pricing will be. If you want to wait a little bit, I might be able to get you a better price in mid February.

Note I'm not making anything on the deal, so if you find it elsewhere, that's cool with me.

Not included is shipping to Canada. I'll bill you what I pay.

If I order tomorrow, I will have it on Monday and can ship then. Just let me know.

1) I can wait, it's -8c here so I won't be going out anytime soon

2) we'll get it shipped to texas and get the inlaws to bring it back with them, or Tina can when she visits in March

3) I want to go through you SO you make a profit, so stick 20% or whatever on that and suck it up. I'll keep that favour until I'm in bad need and need it at cost. :icon_snooty:

4) So lets plan on the whole package when you think it's at it's cheapest and we'll go from there. BTW you still haven't suggested 17 or 18. What are you running? 17 will run the chain a little more tightly. What if we go down one in the back instead, wouldn't we reduce the wear on the chain and still improve the ratio for gas mileage? (if I'm getting my math right)

1) I can wait, it's -8c here so I won't be going out anytime soon

2) we'll get it shipped to texas and get the inlaws to bring it back with them, or Tina can when she visits in March

3) I want to go through you SO you make a profit, so stick 20% or whatever on that and suck it up. I'll keep that favour until I'm in bad need and need it at cost. :icon_snooty:

4) So lets plan on the whole package when you think it's at it's cheapest and we'll go from there. BTW you still haven't suggested 17 or 18. What are you running? 17 will run the chain a little more tightly. What if we go down one in the back instead, wouldn't we reduce the wear on the chain and still improve the ratio for gas mileage? (if I'm getting my math right)

1) I have the same problem here.. not quite as cold.. but can't even find the damn street. Stupid Winter

2) Shipping to Texas will certainly be faster than anything going to Canada. Tina's coming to visit in March???? I have to get the sex swing ready.... :icon_biggrin:

3) Ok.. I'll PM you a price. Not gonna argue with you.

4) Stock is 17t. I'd recommend an 18t. Chain tightness is adjustable, and with an 18t the speedo is almost spot on. The real difference is 2nd gear is useable, and the gas mileage change is noticeable. I'd leave the rear spocket alone. Only real difference is wheelies are a bit more of a challenge.

I didn't get a price on a rear spocket because to be honest, as long as you're running a steel sprocket, they don't wear out. I've got 95k miles on mine, and it doesn't show a lick of wear. I can get you a price, or I think I've got a spare (gently used) stock one hanging on a nail in my basement you can have.

Ok, I'll check that rear sprocket when I get home. Thanks for the reply.

And I'm not telling you WHEN Tina is going down (eww, shouldn't have used that wording), anyway, Alex will be with her, and he tells Daddy everything :icon_naughty: "Uncle Hoooobi came over to visit. I saw him wrestling mom"

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mikey not trying to hijack your thread.

Hobicus,

Is chain still at 110 links with the 18t as opposed to the 17t?

I have to get a chain and sprocket too. Been looking around everywhere. Do you have a good source for these? And where is a good source for a chain tool?

Hey Mikey not trying to hijack your thread.

Hobicus,

Is chain still at 110 links with the 18t as opposed to the 17t?

I have to get a chain and sprocket too. Been looking around everywhere. Do you have a good source for these? And where is a good source for a chain tool?

Yes, it is still 110.

I have a reasonable source, although the prices for chains have gone up recently.

I'm still hoping to hear what Mike did to his clutch. It's so rare to hear of anyone needing a clutch?

Mike, do you enjoy extensive burn-outs?

Cal, he's got a shitload of miles on his XX... Or being a canuk... Kilometers...

Yes, it is still 110.

I have a reasonable source, although the prices for chains have gone up recently.

Can you IM me the cost for a DID chain for my Bird or set me up with your contact. I am straight across the pond from you. Straight East. Do you know where to get a rivet tool for the chain too? Can't see spending alot of money on something I am only going to use 1 every few years.

Need to get over in your neck of the woods someday. Maybe a ride around the lake...

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey boys, sorry to hijack the thread but my question may be relevant to you all anyway. I just changed the chain and sprockets on my '99 and the new countershaft sprocket (17t from Drive Systems) is much thinner than the one I am replacing. The stock one has sort of a rubber spacer bonded to it on either side whereas the new one is just the metal sprocket and that's it. It does have the little lip on one side but it's still about 1/8" thinner than the stock one. When I torqued it onto the shaft it has just enough play to be able to feel it move. Like I said, it's roughly 1/8" thinner. Now my question is whether or not I should eveen try to ride it like that. I looked at the fiche and there is an oil seal on the shaft in the crankcase. The splined end of the shaft was pretty clean due to the rubber shoulder of the stock sprocket keeping the chain lube and grime out of the hole. This new one obvioously won't do such a good job. Then there's the thought of that bare steel rubbing against the alloy of the case. Anybody had this type of situation before? What did you do/how did you handle it? I bought the chain and sprockets as a kit so if I get enough negative answers I'll just have to eat the ~ $30 for a new countershaft stock sprocket.

Thanks in advance and let the opinions fly!

Only the factory sprockets have the rubber on them. I had the same question about size you did when I installed mine years ago. Yes, it should move around a little on the shaft and I believe the manual says to put a little grease on it. It will be fine.

Calcxx,

I ended up waiting on the clutch I've been playing with it lately and not finding it fading, but I'll put it up against a wall and come on to it and see if it slips. If it does I'l going to pick up a full clutch pack (springs, pressure plates and friction plates) due to the mileage, but I'm going to wait and see what happens.

Hobi,

You have around the same milage there fella don't ya? Thought you did. I'm at 171k kms which is about 106k miles.