CBR1100XX.org Forum

UFO tail light kit

The XXorcist

http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=210...10&1=319&3=1526

If I can get 5 people (4 including myself) that are interested shouldn't be to much of a problem getting this made for our birds.

There are a ton of patterns you can run using this.

on the busa you get

Choose from 35 turn signal patterns (plus stock)

Choose from 25 brake patterns (plus stock)

Choose from 49 running light patterns (plus stock)

on a Zx12 you get

Choose from 30 turn signal patterns (plus stock)

Choose from 31 brake patterns (plus stock)

Choose from 48 running light patterns (plus stock)

Just look at some of the videos on the website and you will see how cool these things are..

anyone else interested?

HELL YEA! its ironical that I was gonna do something like this on my own...was gonna put some led's on a circuit card and find soomeone to design an led circuit for them...this is actaually way better...count me in!

**EDIT**

Website says look for an XX one coming in late december FYI

I told the owner of the site I was going to see about getting some XX members. So hopefully we can get a few more.

Big Boy also mentioned a good point on different yrs..

If the tail lights are that different on earlyier birds than will need 5 people for each one :sad:

I will call my buddy at Trick Tape and ask him for sure though

Looks good I'm In

I have a 97 bird ...

let me know the details

Hi guys!

I was pointed to this site by one of your members and thought I would chime in. I babble so please forgive the length of my post :) Cliff notes for sale for $1 out in the lobby!

First I am really excited to read all the enthusiasm and thank you guys for your interest in our stuff!

We do a lot of the IMS Cycle World shows, and at the Dallas show (our most recent) we had a LOT of folks with 1100XX's who asked about our UFO light kits, so it pretty much went high up on the list of "bikes we need to get done". I have a budget I am allowed to spend on product development each month, and to stretch it a bit, I always try to pick up factory lights on eBay or from guys selling them after installing a tail or from a racebike, or parting out a bike, etc. So if anyone has one they are willing to sell, let me know - it will speed things up, because I never seem to find XX lights on eBay for some reason.

Regarding the kit, it will be similar to our existing kits, but made for the XX. We use wide angle SAE automotive rated LED's which output the correct color of light, meaning our LED kits will NOT be significantly dimmed when being used with a factory red lense. Our kits include an LED circuit board sized to the factory light housing, with an array of superflux (meaning really bright) LED's spaced out in an even pattern. The LED's are individually controlled which allows us to have various animated effects in the tail light. Kinda hard to explain but if you check out, for example, the CBR929, or 954 pages on our site you can see video to get an idea of the effect. The 954 comes ith LED's from Honda, the 929 doesn't (so you can see what it does and looks like in an OEM bulb application). The kit allows your brake light to function as a turn signal, as well as giving you different effects (usually 20-30 effects) each for your brake light, turn signals, and running light (think knight rider, etc).

Couple of questions everyone asks... is it bright? Yes! It's not blinding (that would be bad), but we always compare to a factory light and make sure we are equal or brighter than stock. Another ?? everyone asks is "is it reliable". I can say yes to that too.. we use the LED's as they are designed, and they are rated at 100,000 hours by the manufacturer (which is millions of miles worth of riding). They are also wide angle (90 degree) LED's so there is no problem of them looking bright straight on but really dim from the side. And on bikes that use the brake bulb for plate illimunation, we put a row of wide-angle ultra-bright white LED's angled down toward the plate, so that's covered too. Not sure if the XX uses the brake light for plate immunation though until I see one.

I can say with some certainty that within 15-20 days from getting the light, we should have a kit available for the bike. We are going to the Cleveland Cycle Show at the end of January, and I am planning to have it done by then. I believe there are 2 lights for the XX, I think in 98 there was a new one, so there is 98+ and then pre-98 styles. I would like to do both, but I will need one of each light. So again, if anyone is selling one, let me know!

I have to say thanks to the guys at TrickTape for letting some of y'all know about the kit... we generally try to roll them out in order of how much interest there is, so seeing this thread and the post over there just confirms what we learned at the Dallas show.

Also, since I am a total noob here, maybe someone could let me know who runs the site? I hate being a freeloader, so maybe we could sponsor a product giveaway or something for you guys, or some way to get involved in the XX community.

great info. does this mean I can ditch the factory turn signals with the UFO lights? or is this illegal?

You can run our kit without turn signals, but there are two things to keep in mind.

First, our kit does not have a flasher, because it is designed to flash in sync with your stock setup. So if you remove your blinkers, you would need to either put a pair of resistors in place of your old blinkers, or get a non-load-dependent flasher (usually sold as a heavy duty flasher) otherwise your blinkers are going to flash too quick like you have a light out (because basically you do). This only applies if you completely remove the blinkers. If you used short-stalks, etc, it should be the same load and you'll be OK.

Second, the legality of removing the lights varies state to state. Here in MA, you must have blinkers that are 6" apart or more, so on some bikes with a taillight 6" wide or more, some patterns would be legal so long as there is 6" between the blinking parts. We were just in Texas last month and learned that you don't even need blinkers in TX at all, so it really does vary a lot state to state.

Hope it helps - thanks!

Hi Mike,

great to hear from you and thanks for your message.

In the main menu you can find a link to the "sales floor" which explaines the vendor participation. People you want to talk to are Carlos (SwaampNut) and Joe (rockmeupto125), who might contacted you by now....

There are two taillights on XX. One for '97/'98 models and one for '99-'03.

Here is the first one

dirkMvc-010s.jpg

And here is the new one

rickradford4.jpg

Here you can see what's behind the lenses...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/tai...FTOKEN=27435842

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/tai...light_99_03.cfm

There is a separate light that iluminates the plate, but I don't think anyone here would be concerned about that :wink: :twisted:

Cheers,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I met the two guys at the Chicago show and this past weekend at the Dealer Expo. They seem to be excited to do the XX lights. They have both OEM style taillights in the shop and were going to work on them as soon as they get back. They've been on the road for two or three weeks....

They told me they're not going to Daytona, so they can work on the XX design :cool:

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...