CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need help starting

Ok guys I am going to try this. I am 230lbs Wear size 38 :shock: pants.

I want too loose to some of my nice gut, and hopefully get down too 200lbs maybe less.

What would you guys since you have been doing it for a while recommend for a daily meal?

I normally stay away from Fast Food, tastes like crap most of the time.

So if any of you could give me help or hints for me for breakfat and lunch.

I work out in the sticks so I carry it with everyday.

I normally make the usual sandwich, some chips. crap like that For lunch. Might eat a thing of yogurt for breakfast. Might carry a bag of popcorn to munch on during the day. Will take oranges and apples if I grab one.

I am staying away from soft drinks drinking alot of water.

Basically need some help starting and getting into the grove of doing this.

Thanks for any help..

Dave

Ok, what I do is have a couple of eggs with bacon in the morning. I usally take a hamburg or hot dog that I cooked the night before for lunch. Along with that I take a hard boiled egg or cheese sticks. Lots of water.

Dinner is some sort of meat with a salad and blue cheese dressing.

Somtimes I eat tunafish or eggsalad (w/o the bread).

This works for me. I have lost over 20lbs now. Others here will have other suggestions.

Good luck,

Ken

Everything you mentioned is out--sandwich (bread), fruit, yoburt, chips. Breakfast is easy if you cook, because most of the classic breakfast foods are fine. Figure this--if it's animal-related (dairy/meat/egg) it is probably fine unless sweetened (yogurt). Lunches can be non-bread sandwiches--wrap meats in slices of cheese, roll up, eat. Salads are great but watch for sweetened dressings (French, some Ranch, Catalina, some name-brand Italian even).

This is the important thing: Get past the "hump" as fast as possible by keeping carbs ultra-low. Any cheating will just make you feel worse. And you will probably feel like ass for several days straight as you kick the sugar addiction. Once you get past that though, you'll feel so much better and more energetic than ever.

For your first low-carb shopping trip, set aside two hours--seriously. Go through the store and read packages everywhere. Be creative; look at stuff you don't normally use. Read it all. Learn about carbs and sugars. Note that fiber subtracts carbs (IE, 20g carb & 15g fiber = 5 net carbs). If you look in the diet section or nutrition bars, you will see things like "sugar alcohols" and ingredients like "maltitol" that have no effective sugar but by law get counted as carbs--subtract those.

Get past the "hump" as fast as possible by keeping carbs ultra-low

I'm dieting too... cutting carbs is a big one. Also...try not to eat late into the night. if you have to... eat something high in fiber and low in sugar. i usually eat a vegetable medely mix or something (very filling).

Ok I got one quick question.... What time of the week and time of the day is the best to start?

I dont want to be a worthless sack of shit... (there already probably) at work in the middle of the week.

Would starting on Wed. be good so you hit the hump on saturday or so?

Dave

Dave I dont think it makes a huge difference. I started on a Sunday and did not feel any ill effects.

Good luck,

Ken

Hey, Dave

The best thing that you can do (and I know it's hard) is to hit the weights. What you REALLY want to do is start boosting your metabolism (so you can eat what you want -- within reason), and the best way to do that is by hitting the weights and building some muscle (dieting by itself will rob you of muscle -- even if you lose weight).

If you're not big on working out, the other thing you can do is try eating foods with a high glucose index (e.g. whole wheat bread). These foods are usually a little higher in calories, but keep you feeling "fuller" longer. Check out the link for more info --> http://members.lycos.co.uk/rmendosa/gilists.htm

Good luck.

(dieting by itself will rob you of muscle -- even if you lose weight).

Not actually true under a low-carb high-fat regime.

Only true during the glucose-ketone metabolism switch

period.

In fact, low-carb is VERY anti-catabolic.

If you're not big on working out, the other thing

you can do is try eating foods with a high glucose index

(e.g. whole wheat bread).

That can get you in trouble healthwise very quickly.

High glycemic stuff is horrible for humans and the #1

contributor to diseases of degeneration. (and will

make you super fat too ;-) )

These foods are usually a little higher in calories,

but keep you feeling "fuller" longer. Check out the link for

more info --> http://members.lycos.co.uk/rmendosa/gilists.htm

Good luck.

Fats are much higher in calories than carbs (9 kcal/gm.

vs. 4 kcal/gm.) and fiber and fat combined is the best

way to keep you feeling full.

Not to mention that ketones are appetite supressive.

If you have to eat sugars, eat low glycemic foods, and

mix in fats to drop the G.I. even further.

Weightlifting + low-carb is the best way to shed pounds

and improve health..

:cool: TJ :cool:

Guess my PhD resources were wrong.

Yep!

PhD doesn't mean much these days. You wouldn't

believe how many times I've had to correct mathematical

errors in PhD papers whenever I am collecting research

for a new project at work.

The biggest problem with PhD. research in the nutrition/food

arena is that it's all funded by the agri/food companies

and therefore the results are heavily slanted in their favor

(at our expense).

Trying to explain why high carbohydrate diets are bad

for you would take much more time that I can devote.

Go back in some of the previous threads in the Horsepower

Gain Support Group and chase the links. It may surprise

you..

This entire part of the Forum is devoted to high fat low

carbohydrate dieting ;-)

:cool: TJ :cool:

One more thing to remember when you start on a low carb diet. (or any other diet as well) Be sure to drink plenty of water. (coffee, diet soda etc. does not count) Try for 2 Liters minimum. 4 Liters would be better.

Everyone should be drinking a gallon a day, but even more important on a diet like this.

As far as a day to start, I'd probably say Thursday night/Friday morning. Everyone responds differently--it really sacked me since I was such a sugar addict. But the tired and sluggish feeling will start quickly, since sugar has such a very short life in your blood. That's also why this way of eating eliminates those sleepy times during the day--fat/protein will stay level in your blood a long time, while sugar spikes and dips. If your body depends on sugar, it will spike and dip along with it (and your brain too).

Well, I haven't jumped right into it yet... I am starting it slow... so far I only drink water... been hitting the water cooler alot at work... :lol: Dont hardly eat anything like bread grains and what not... plan on taking it on full steam next week...

As for working out.. thats no problem, I dont have a gym near me, but I am surface miner and beleive me it will work your ass over... always fun to carry a 100lb screen up 4 flights of steps... going to also start doing crunchs and stretching alot more now also... :wink:

Dave