CBR1100XX.org Forum

Motorcycle Wheel Alignment

speedygeezer

39 members have voted

1. 1. How Important is Wheel Alignment To You?

• Very
    • Moderate
    • Hookers
  2. 2. What Alignment Method Do You Use?

• Swingarm index marks
    • String
    • Motion Pro Tool
    • Laser aligner
    • Flourescent tubes
    • 2 X 4's
  3. 3. When Do You Check Wheel Alignment?

• After replacing the rear tire
    • After adjusting the chain
    • After replacing the chain
    • After replacing rear brake pads
    • After changing the oil

There no need to check it every time the wheel is removed,chain adjusted,etc.You just need to figure out the error on the adjustment marks and go from there.

Example, if you measure that left side needs to be 3mm further back,it is gonna be always 3mm further back regardless of position of the axle in the swingarm.

There no need to check it every time the wheel is removed,chain adjusted,etc.You just need to figure out the error on the adjustment marks and go from there.

Example, if you measure that left side needs to be 3mm further back,it is gonna be always 3mm further back regardless of position of the axle in the swingarm.

Exactly. Used the string method once to figure out the error in the factory marks and now use

those with the proper adjustment whenever I change tires, adjust chain, etc.

3mm back on the left is almost exactly what mine is! I use that to set it initially, but check every so often with a piece of string if it feels off when riding. Also after tyre changes or services where they adjust the chain, since even though I tell them it's off, they always set it to the same marks on both sides... :icon_rolleyes:

I usually start with the alignment marks and then sight down the chain to fine tune the adjustment. (Sprocket alignment, IMO, is the real goal.) Then any time I loosen the rear wheel I count the number of turns on the adjusters so I can keep them even. I have an older swing-arm alignment tool, but it requires that the ends of the swing-arm pivot and the ends of the axle have the same off set on both sides. I don't think that is the case with most bikes.

BTW, if your alignment marks are 3mm off, something must be seriously wrong with your vision, the bike, or the people who made it. Hell, even the marks on my SV650 (a.k.a cheap bike) are within 1mm.

Just my $.02

I usually start with the alignment marks and then sight down the chain to fine tune the adjustment. (Sprocket alignment, IMO, is the real goal.) Then any time I loosen the rear wheel I count the number of turns on the adjusters so I can keep them even. I have an older swing-arm alignment tool, but it requires that the ends of the swing-arm pivot and the ends of the axle have the same off set on both sides. I don't think that is the case with most bikes.

BTW, if your alignment marks are 3mm off, something must be seriously wrong with your vision, the bike, or the people who made it. Hell, even the marks on my SV650 (a.k.a cheap bike) are within 1mm.

Just my $.02

+1 on this method. I used to want to get fancy, but I've given up.

Very important...

...had a bad experience some years ago, and later figured it out to be bad wheel alignment.

Now I check the swing-arm marks, accuracy, and now make sure to count the flats on the adjuster screws.

like the looks, of that qualitymachineco tool, that looks about like something I have wanted to build for a long time.

hmmmmmm.....

The Krypt Keeper wrote:

i use the warchild method with 2 peices of threaded rod one through frame and other through rear axle.. measure close and away and make them match..

That is exactly what the qualitymachinecompany alignment tool does. It's a very well made, quality tool that should last you the rest of your riding career.........unless you step on it and bend it or something.