CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike will not start.....

Animal Mother

I dont post many topics here, but really like to read them. However, I finally have an issues of my own :lol::lol:

Due to my schedule (going to school and flying), I unfortunately have VERY little time to ride my bike. Due to space limitations, I have to keep it in a storage space quite a distance from my home.

Anyhoo, I go up to my storage and try and turn her over. No joy, battery is COMPLETELY dead (awhile since I have started it :cry: ). Anyhoo, I hooked it up to jump start it. I followed the advice of one of the members in their post here and kept my car off. Well, the starter was turning over like a champ, but it was almost like there was no spark?? I tried it for a few times and believed I smelled some gas (possibly flooded?). I will say however, that it was VERY cold that day, as it has been for quite awhile.

Will the cold be very detrimental in the starting of my bike? Do you think I should just hook the batterey up to the charger and try again later? I really dont know what else to do, since I am NOT a bike nut by any means :lol:

Thanks for any and all of everyones advice. It is GREATLY appreciated!

PS: I have a 2001.

Steve

Well I would say if the bike has been sitting long enough to drain the battery flat the fuel in the tank is varnish by now. drain the tank. Put a fresh battery and fresh fuel. Then try to start it. Just remember don't lay on the starter for to long. These little babies get warm pretty fast and tend to go bad shortly there after. After I got it started I would probably run a half bottle of injector cleaner or "Seafoam" through the system. When you put the bike away again put some stabile in the tank and run it for a few minutes. Take the battery out and take it home to keep it warm and charged. "A warm battery is a happy battery". Batteries are like plants and dogs, if you don't watch over them and maintain them they will die.

Choice numero two. I could come up and take the bike from you and call it my own. I would make sure she has a good home and is properly maintained. She would have another one to play with as well. Of course I would do this free of charge. After all its the humane thing to do.

Thank you very, very much guys! I thought I would be on it more for some reason :roll: So, I indeed did not put any stabilizer in the fuel and did not properly prepare it for an extended storage period.

Thanks also for the advice on the starter. I did not "lay" on it, but probably tried it for more than five seconds. Will remember that for future use.

And finally....DUH!!!. I dont know WHY the hell I did not take the fricking battery out with me! Damn, I ammaze myself with lack of common sense sometimes :roll:

Thanks much for the tips.

Steve

Just went thru the same thing (bike in storage for 2+ months). It's definitely frustrating.

It's a pain in the butt, but might save time in the long run--pop the tank off, take the airbox cover off, and squirt some starting fluid into the carbs. If it doesn't fire, or at least catch a few times, with that, then I'd start to worry.

Just a note on the battery... It won't do any good to take it out. Just put a charger on it still in the bike. If you take it out, it will still self-discharge and damage itself.

Yeah thanks Carlos, thats what I meant. I was going to take the battery out and then take it to my house where I was going to put it on the charger.

Thanks too for the info Voodo! :wink:

Steve

For a 2001 FI model, if you think it's flooded, here's what you do:

Turn the key on, and wait until the gauges have done that whole warmup/reset thing.

Open the throttle WFO. When the throttle is WFO, there's a switch that shuts off the fuel injectors.

While holding the throttle WFO, push the starter for a couple of seconds. That should clear out the flood.

Let off the throttle and give it another try on the starter.