CBR1100XX.org Forum

i have a screw in my new metzler m3.....

thrash7781

Don't plug for anything more than getting you home or to service. I'm iffy even on patching from the interior, but if the tire is new and the hole is small (less chance of damage to the carcass) then it's probably worth patching to most.

Personally, I never trust repaired tires. Gets in my head, not worth the money saved.

I feel for you, I just found a nail in my new Pirelli Angel this morning. Will be taking it for a patch some time this week. As long as the puncture is in the tread not sidewall there is usually no problem. And the mushroom patches that are applied from the inside are great & last the life of the tyre. The regs down here say max of 2 patches & they must be >120 degrees apart. I've ridden for a long time on a rear with 2 plugs in the past...

I had a plug fail once while at speed on the freeway. It's not something you're going to want to experience twice.

was it a plug patch?

Not going to ask how fast you were going, or if you go fast.

I think if you stay under 120 a plug patch will never fail. Butt, a plug could above that.

I had a plug fail once while at speed on the freeway. It's not something you're going to want to experience twice.

was it a plug patch?

Not going to ask how fast you were going, or if you go fast.

I think if you stay under 120 a plug patch will never fail. Butt, a plug could above that.

It was an exterior plug, not the mushroom type. To me a "plug" is a temporary external repair, a "patch" is installed on the interior and often has a "stem" that goes through the hole. I can't see a properly installed interior patch failing like mine did. I'd just worry about damage to the carcass with one of those.

I was doing about 90, had a friend on the back. Both of us were wearing shorts, t-shirts and sunglasses. Rear tire was dead flat before I got down to 60. Ah, to be young and invincible again.

I used one of those mushroom type plug/patches on a Dunlop Sportmax 204 that only had 200 miles on it. I don't know what I ran over, but it would only hold air for about 20 seconds. You could feel the air coming out from a foot away. :icon_eek:

I ran the tire until it was bald and it saw 160 MPH a couple of times. No problems at all.

Did I mention it was on a 600 pound Katana 1100?

Plugs from the outside, (sticky cord type), are temp fix only! just enough to get you home or back to the shop for a proper fix.

I had that rear with 2 mushroom (actually they really look like inlet/exhaust valves), on for a track day or 2 with no issues. They are about 1 1/2" in diameter where they get glued on the inside & ~1/4 - 3/8 thick where they go through the tyre & get cut off. (At least the ones I've had on my tyres were.)

Yeah, the plug patch is used by most car tire sellers like Discount now exclusive, All the bike tire people I know of too.

Steve xxwiner, put a rope plug in his at Texxt on year on the three sisters and rode like the wind for hours more with no problems. Don't think he changed it till it wore out, but have no way to know.

I carry a mushroom tire plugger with me on the bike for emergency tire repair. When I have used it, it has never failed. And it uses no glue. Has a needle that it pushes the mushroom plug through into the tire, and when you pull back it leaves the stem poking out. Cut that off and your good to go.

I tend to put some glue on it though. Don't think it will sling out, but don't trust it to push in, if hit right.

Yeah, the plug patch is used by most car tire sellers like Discount now exclusive, All the bike tire people I know of too.

Steve xxwiner, put a rope plug in his at Texxt on year on the three sisters and rode like the wind for hours more with no problems. Don't think he changed it till it wore out, but have no way to know.

I carry a mushroom tire plugger with me on the bike for emergency tire repair. When I have used it, it has never failed. And it uses no glue. Has a needle that it pushes the mushroom plug through into the tire, and when you pull back it leaves the stem poking out. Cut that off and your good to go.

I tend to put some glue on it though. Don't think it will sling out, but don't trust it to push in, if hit right.

I sell those tire plug kits... just in case anyone wants one. We put one in Philip's tire on our last trip together out West... he ran it 2500 miles before replacing the tire.

However, I only look at a plug as a temporary fix. Much as Tim said, it would get in my head and I wouldn't trust it.

I had a piece of 30amp copper wire go through my new tire this year. I came out and found the tire flat.

I asked at Washington Cycle in NJ who I trust with my life and they said no way. They will not even patch a tire if asked.

I checked the Dunlap web site and they said a max two patches I think 90 degrees apart at a certified repair facility with a long list of don'ts.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter...etips.asp?id=30

My personal policy :

- if the tire holds air after treatment with 2.99 $ repair kit from auto parts story a.k.a. shoe string,fuggeitaboutit,and run it as normal or till tire is showing cords.No lower speed limits,etc

-if the tire does not hold the air after above mentioned "repair",fuggetaboutit,-new tire.

I`ve never installed proper plug in motorcycle tire,my take is if the tire cannot be sealed with shoe string it most likely has enough of structural damage to use it as normal,but of course I would use it in emergency situation.( You stock in the middle of Montana,Nevada,Orygun,etc and nearest dealer is about 347 miles away)

• 3 weeks later...

It's a common problem here with roadside tyre repairers buying nails and screws and seeding the roads in front of them.

Their are even people who "rake" the roads at night to get the scrap for steel value. Most it is said sell it to the scrap merchants ,, some however recycle it straight back to the tyre repairers who re-seed the roads.

hence I have had a few screws.nails in my tyre. only used the glued plug and although theres not the room to often open it up , i have never had a failure.

I know ,, you guys are gonna find that story hard to believe , but their was even a story in the local paper of a guy making this great magnet broom and he would walk the hiway at night and retrieve kilos of the rubbish ,,, what bloody hope have ya got !!!!