CBR1100XX.org Forum

K&N Jet Kit?

sk6f3

I am considering a K&N filter and Jet Kit for my 97 XX. I currently have stock carbs and adjustments, filter and Staintune slip-ons.

Does anyone have experience with these products? I hope to elliminate the flat spot and gain power. Steve

It really wakes the bike up, but be prepared for a significant mileage reduction. Mine went from a best of 42 to around 32. May be due to the way I rode after the kit install. Dunno if it increased peak numbers, but it did reduce/eliminate the dreaded flat spot, and slid the torque curve to the left.

and no... I haven't installed a K&N kit, but have done several Factory kits and am VERY happy with them. Santiago and Tim are two other people I have installed them for, and they are equally happy with them. Fairly easy to install and OH, so worth it!!

Alan

Ditto, I have a K&N (you don't gain much flow but you don't have to replace it, just clean it every 50k miles) and Factory jet kit. With my MIGS, I found the European Jetting with then new needles/setting perfect for taking out the flat spots.

MaXX

On the recommendation of a previously posted, happy tuner, I am now thinking of the K&N filter, pilot screws set at 2.5 turns out, and raising the stock needles 1mm with two #4 brass washers. I searched all of your jetting posts, great stuff. I want to get rid of the flat spot from a drivability standpoint, not so much an expected performance increase. When I whack the throttle open, I want it to just go, without stumbling before it gets happy and starts to rev freely. Should I give this plan a try?

If I am not keen on the result of these tuning changes, I think the Factory kit would be next.

We expect to see 40 this weekend in southern WI, so I hope to do some riding, after that, its into the basement and let the wrenching begin. Steve

European Jetting

What's that?

If you own a Repair Manual, the 97-98 bird came with different Jetting for UK Models and US Models. The UK being Richer. Here are the Jetting settings. I bumped the Pilot Jet up 1 size to a 43 or 45 which took care of my hesitation between 1500 and 3000 RPMS too. It is an Option in the Factory Jet kit, but they do not provide the Pilots.

US is:

Carbs 1 and 4 = 140

Carbs 2 and 3 = 142

UK is

Carbs 1 and 4 = 142

Carbs 2 and 3 = 145

MaXX

No, OEM are expensive (like $13 a jet). I ended up going to a local Performance Shop (Schmallenberg Racing) and he stocks all Keihin Jets. I think it ran me $20 for the four pilots (I used the Factory Pro Kit for the Mains and Needles).

maXX

• 4 weeks later...

I went from 42.5 pilots to 45, raised the stock needle 1mm, opened the slide hole (insert joke, no pun intended) 7/64, and borrowed a pilot screw adjustment tool. I have stock US mains for now.

MAXX after you increased your pilot size, do you remember how many turns open you set you pilot screw? I am concerned that with 45s, 2.5 turns out may be too much. Thanks Steve