CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front Brake Caliper ?

HamrTym

Unfortunately due to my living situation, my XX has to sit outside. It hasn't been ridden since RacerXX last, well whenever that was. Went to go move it. Bike rolled out just fine. Until I went to squeeze the front brake lever. Lever was frozen, or so it felt. Finally it moved on the third hard squeeze.

Now the front wheel is practically locked up and the brake lever will not return on its own to the full foward position. There is some serious binding of the brake pads and rotor.

Upon a quick intial inspection, there is some corrosion between the brake pad backing plate and the guide pins that they ride on.

Has anyone had the pads seize onto the guide pins? Or am I totally fucked and the caliper pistons are corroded and hosed. I really don't want to have to rebuild the calipers and BLEED the oh so simple brake system on this bike. I'll probably take it to stealership for that headache.

Any ideas or experience would be appreaciated.

Ride safe everyone...

Yes,pads can seize on guide pins,but usually the pistons will be sticking as well.

Smack the calipers with a rubber mallet.No shit.This works to temporarily free the brakes until you squeeze them again.Or kicking has also worked for me too.

Pull the pins and grease them,re-install and see what happens.If the brakes still bind,off to the nearest dealer or bike service shop or mechanically inclined buddy.

I used to pick up bikes for service at the dealership I first worked at years ago.Kicked a lot of calipers.

Buy a bike cover you cheap prick!

Tried that. Then, when i uncovered the bike, I was greeted with 3 black widow spiders and their family of egg sacks up in the fairings and gauges. That would have been nice to have while riding.

You mentioned that the brake lever would not return when released. I think you have a bigger problem then just the caliper. My first thought is that your master cylinder piston has enough corrosion for it to drag in the bore. If this piston can not return, neither can the brake pads release. I would start with the master cylinder.

Just in case it's really bad, I do have a perfectly good stock master cylinder that I will let go real cheap.

And +1 on the bike cover. If you ride it more often, the spiders will stay away. :icon_rolleyes:

You mentioned that the brake lever would not return when released. I think you have a bigger problem then just the caliper. My first thought is that your master cylinder piston has enough corrosion for it to drag in the bore. If this piston can not return, neither can the brake pads release. I would start with the master cylinder.

Just in case it's really bad, I do have a perfectly good stock master cylinder that I will let go real cheap.

And +1 on the bike cover. If you ride it more often, the spiders will stay away. :icon_rolleyes:

or crap in the proportioning control valve. I had the same issue where depressing the rear peddle would basiclly lock the front brakes. Replaced the PCV and all better.

I think John has a point here.

Gravel