CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spring selection help needed

Zero Knievel

Okay, I'm going to upgrade the springs on my shock (and do much neglected maintenance) this winter.

JB4XX has a set of 1.0 springs (based on the markings) at a good price.

Researching online, I know if I go with "linear" springs (like JB4XX is offering), 1.0 seems to cover from 200-230 lbs (rider). Over 230 lbs, the calculator suggests going to 1.1 since it's the closer match.

I most always have the top case Givi on the bike rather than use a tank bag. I'm not sure how much weight it adds, but if my tool bag is in there, I suspect an extra 30 lbs ON THE TAIL of the bike should be considered in addition to my 205 body (215 if you want to account for gear worn).

If the bike is fully loaded with 3 Givi cases, I suspect an easy 30-40 lbs each case needs to be factored in. When riding FOR FUN, I have only the top case with my tank bag in it. I don't normally pack the tool bag, but on group rides, I like to be prepared...so let's say 30 lbs to be safe. When on a trip, I don't push my riding because I know I'm loaded down, so I'm not sure if that matters at all.

JB4XX thinks the 1.0 will do fine for me, but is there really that much of a difference in what that 0.1 difference in the spring calibration will do for me? I don't ride very aggressively, but I've pushed my limits from time to time. If you've seen me ride before, my bike is totally stock on suspension.

Likewise, I've checked out the progressive springs from Hyperpro. $20 more than linear springs (new) and they have rear springs for $126.

Are they worth the $$$ considering how I ride or am I really just pissing away money on them? I am planning on converting to stainless brake lines this winter because I'm noticing the brakes aren't quite the same anymore (10 years of stock hardware), but brakes are important, so I'd justify the $500 that's going to cost.

For your application, Josh's 1.0s will work fine. The top box (and any other weight behind the rear axle) actually unloads the front unless you're decelerating, no need to start making this overly complicated by attempting that math and trying to figure out where in a corner the weight is transitioning with your particular riding style, ect- you're not setting up a GP bike.

For $50 it's a nice little upgrade, and yes, it will make a difference.

For $50 it's a nice little upgrade, and yes, it will make a difference.

+1 I just finished mine and the difference is very apparent, now I feel how crappy my stock rear shock really is... :icon_mad:

You and I weigh about the same. I have 1.0's in the front and a 1.1 spring on the Penske shock. I have no preload on the fork springs and they feel plenty stiff to me.

I'm around 220 and the 1kg springs feel great. I have never run 1.1kgs for comparison but I like the 1kg a lot. I don't think the Givi is going to matter.

Its still going to be better than stock no matter what.

You aren't likely to be railing really hard with the Givi on so that should be a non issue.

I have ridden with my 52liter Givi and not noticed any ill handling.

I think the 1kg would probably actually work better for you than the 1.1kg but ultimately I bet you would be hard pressed to even tell a whole lot of difference.

This is all just my half-assed opinion.