CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wire connection suggestions....

Zero Knievel

In redoing some wire, I like many connections to be "breakable." That means, should something bad happen, rather than rip the wires out wherever they give, a connection is designed to "fail" under enough stress rather than let physics dictate everything.

From what I can find, bullet connectors are probably best for this, but will they hold tight enough (won't vibrate loose). Many connectors are prone to vibrate apart easily or fit so tight you can't pull them apart to save your life. I was looking for electrical connectors that had a locking tab (like many automotive connectors have) so they don't come undone unless you press/lift a tab, but no such luck.

Something that won't come loose by any amount of vibration but will pop out if you apply 10 lbs of pulling force would do fine.

Are bullet connectors my best option or is there something else I should look at?

I would say that bullet connectors are the way to go and yes they will normally hold up fine on a motorcycle. Just about all the single wire connectors on my Honda VTX are bullet connectors (from the factory) and due to some of the custom work I have done on it I have replaced/added quite a few with the ones you can get at Radio Shack with no failures. I have also added several to the FJR.

Just make sure you make a good initial crimp when you connect the wire to the male/female side of the connector. If you are extremely anal you can cover the wire connection to the barrel of the connectors with heat shrink. Rule of thumb is that the side of the connection with power gets the female bullet connector. That way should they come apart (rare) or be taken apart on purpose, the connector will not short against the frame or other grounding point.

Oh yeah and if you put a little dab of dielectric grease on the male end of the bullet connector they will come apart more easily in the future but still won't come apart by mistake.

Try Dean's connectors for Radio Controlled race cars, they are made to take absolutely massive current (30+ Amps at least), connect and disconnect easily but stay connected in the harsh environment inside one of those little cars.

post-20371-1250179861.jpg

I can't answer your question however I'm curious as to when and where, if you're talking about the Bird, when you would want such an application.

When I wire stuff in, (voltmeter, 12v port, etc.) I want the option to know if something pulls on them, it won't rip the wire out from the harness. A "breakaway" joint is a safeguard against that.

I just put down $80 on a sweet power distribution block. Don't want to see it damaged if a wire gets yanked on improperly. It also means if something gets damaged (12v port) and needs replacing, I can just rewire the part and add a new dongle on it to connect into existing wiring rather than rework the whole darn thing.

Is this what you`re looking for? I`ve ordered from them before, nice people and the kits are exactly what you see. And if you only need half the connector, the other half mated perfectly with the OEM connector.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

Is this what you`re looking for? I`ve ordered from them before, nice people and the kits are exactly what you see. And if you only need half the connector, the other half mated perfectly with the OEM connector.

very good link, thanks a bunch!

very good link, thanks a bunch!

+1!!

I just finished most of the re-wiring of an assload of electronics on my bike. Wish I had known about these guys before I started. Not that what I did is shabby, everything is soldered and shrink-wrapped and as solid as I could make it, but it would have been nice to keep that OEM look.

Mike, what Stan said.... the SAE connex are the bomb for what you are looking for. I use them for a few apps on my bike and they do what you want them to do. They are overkill in terms of size (you can get thm in maybe a 16 Ga, but most are 14-12 Ga)

+1 :icon_biggrin:

That's what I was thinking about. Can't find those in the stores around here.

Weatherpack connectors are available at real auto parts stores and every auto dealership that has a parts department.

http://www.weatherpack.com/

If you want them to be quick release, clip the locking tabs off. The seals will keep them connected snugly until there's a decent tug on them.

b-connectors.jpg

This is what I use on my bird for my powered tankbag (phone, GPS and video camera)

4891_1158185348058_1030473799_30497581_8

Weatherpack connectors are available at real auto parts stores and every auto dealership that has a parts department.

http://www.weatherpack.com/

I already ordered from Vintage Connectors, but I'll look for those. The auto parts people didn't pull them out to show me, so either they were clueless about their inventory or they didn't carry them.

I'm surprised more stores don't carry stuff like this in the DIY electrical section.