CBR1100XX.org Forum

Here we go again!

jon haney

Last yeat I had problems getting a fork apart to fix a leaky fork seal. Ended up cutting the slider open with a die grinder to get it apart. The two bushings had wedged one inside the other when I tried to "bang out" the seal. (Yes, I did remove the retainer ring first.) Stan hooked me up with a couple of sliders that looked as good as new. I put new bushings and seals in both sides. It was the right leg that gave me the problem the first time. This time, the left side.

I'm beginning to think that Amsoil "Shock Therapy" Oil is CRAP.

Anyway.....It's happening again. Has anyone ever had this problem and what did you do?

If I have to buy another slider, I may sell the bike. :icon_wall:

(Please, no low-ball offers. I'm too pissed for humor right now.)

Nothing constructive to add, just "Dude, that sucks"

Hope you get it figured out...

I just tried 120 psi of air into the cartridge holder bolt in hopes of at least blowing the bad seal out. No go. Got a nice loud whistle. :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

Jon

Do you have access to some PB blaster if so set the shock up spray it down then let it set for 24 and see if that helps. You may want to hit the fork tube with a hair dryer or heat gun to make the seal a bit more pliable and more likely to release.

Jon

Do you have access to some PB blaster if so set the shock up spray it down then let it set for 24 and see if that helps. You may want to hit the fork tube with a hair dryer or heat gun to make the seal a bit more pliable and more likely to release.

I forgot about heating it. I will try that. What is a PB blaster?

What in the hell are you doing to that thing? How did you go though a set of seals in less than a year?

Only one seal went out this time and it's been about 16 months and 7000 miles. I think the fork oil I've been using is the problem. It's not very slick and may be eating on the seals. Going to use Motorex this time. Yes, I do wheelies, but rarely does it ever come down hard. Maybe once or twice a year I'll miss second gear. Fork tubes are as smooth as glass. My BB drag bike still has the factory original seals, bushings and oil, and nary a leak. I don't understand it either. :icon_wall: :icon_wall: :icon_wall:

The real "kick in the nuts" is that I can't seem to find the original good slider from last year. I find it hard to believe that I would through away (recycle) a good part, but of course "No good deed goes unpunished".

Jon

I forgot about heating it. I will try that.

What is a PB blaster?

a penetrating oil that works very well you should be able to pick it up at auto zone.

Did you replace them with factory seals. I am part of a V4 board and we have seen a big difference in seal life from anything that isn't the factory. Not sure why but in that case it was worth the extra bucks spent. Seal life was at least double to the aftermarket

THANK THE GODS OF SPEED, I GOT THE SEAL OUT!! :icon_dance: :icon_dance: :icon_dance:

No die grinder this time. I had tried heating it, but that alone didn't do it. I'm not even sure that I needed the heat at all, but I will use it next time just in case. After I heated it a second time, I had my wife stick the blow gun in the bottom of the fork while I pulled on the inside tube. It still wouldn't move until I pushed in on the tube, then boom, it was out. I think when I pushed the tube in, it allowed more air volume to get to the back of the seal which blew it out.

I don't believe the bushing was ever stuck. It was the seal the whole time.

The seal that leaked this time was a genuine Honda part. It lasted about 50% longer than the Racetech seals, but still not near long enough. Hopefully using a different oil will fix the problem.